Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-27-2013, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We got hammered with rain today! Normally I mow through everything but today was different. It was thick fat rain coming down hard.

I got to challenge what the Honda 21's can do, it didn't clump up or bog down. Was way to wet to put the 36" walk behind on the lawns.

Everything was getting very slippery so I decided to call it quits half way through the day.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tues is my "project/catchup" day, so I removed some shrubs and scrapped the next job after looking at the mass of red approaching on the doppler.

I made it to Agrecycle to dump my debris just in time, as it started to rain as I was unloading. I hate going there - it's either a dust bowl, or a mud pit and I always manage to need to go there right after having washed the truck.

It really didn't rain that much out east. Just enough to screw with my plans and dampen the grass. An hour later the street is dry.

Crossing my fingers - tomorrow is a busy day.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetlc View Post
That's correct... anything/ everything needs to be strapped or tarped in the bed the officer told me.
Thanks for the heads up man, staying busy I hope. Don't see you on here much but I seem to drive by you a few times a season
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gonna look at my schedule and pick a good day to demo a Toro 30" mower next week.
Not sure which - most likely the residential one. I can't wrap my head around two grand for the commercial Turfmaster mower. If I really need a commercial mower larger than 21", I already have a 36", but for a grand, I think I could get some use out of the Timemaster.

It really just depends on how it feels to use it. I've been keeping accurate times for my cuts, so I should be able to see if there is any time shaved off.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Gonna look at my schedule and pick a good day to demo a Toro 30" mower next week.
Not sure which - most likely the residential one. I can't wrap my head around two grand for the commercial Turfmaster mower. If I really need a commercial mower larger than 21", I already have a 36", but for a grand, I think I could get some use out of the Timemaster.

It really just depends on how it feels to use it. I've been keeping accurate times for my cuts, so I should be able to see if there is any time shaved off.
demo it but if you buy id definitely pony up the extra $$ and buy the exmark at $1800. my x series 21 is the best push mower that I have bought. I have heard nothing but bad things about the toro 30". even after talking with the dealer. travis just bought an exmark 30. maybe he can give you some feedback
1999 F350 Superduty
2002 6x12 Single Axle Landscaping Trailer
1998 6.5x16 Landscape trailer
2013 7x16 Quality Equipment Trailer
1994 5x8 Lone Wolf Trailer

Exmark, Snapper, Ferris, Encore, Billy Goat, Honda, Echo, Stihl, Husky, and Ryan

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344647
http://www.mcginnlandscaping.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/McG...30091293747444
Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG_Landscaping View Post
demo it but if you buy id definitely pony up the extra $$ and buy the exmark at $1800. my x series 21 is the best push mower that I have bought. I have heard nothing but bad things about the toro 30". even after talking with the dealer. travis just bought an exmark 30. maybe he can give you some feedback
The 30 is an amazing machine, cuts great, saves time, mulches nice and is easy to use. Built like a tank too.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG_Landscaping View Post
But the Exmark is the same mower. Why would it be better?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I asked about demoing a Toro Commercial 21" to see how it compares to my SR4, but he doesn't have one to demo.
"You can buy one and return it if you don't like it", he said.
I told him I didn't want to stick him with a used mower just to try it out.

Everyone says "buy commercial", but I'm not spending that much on a 21" mower only to find I don't like how it handles in comparison to what I've been using. I honestly don't CARE if the commercial mower lasts ten years. I want the mower that is easy to use.

Easy to use every day for 3-4 years.
Harder to use EVERY DAY for TEN friggin' YEARS.

OOOOOHHH!!! Which one should I get???

Make sense?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did they make any optional blades for the Toro / Exmark 30" mowers yet?

I think I read somewhere that you can get a mulch baffle kit for it?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I asked about demoing a Toro Commercial 21" to see how it compares to my SR4, but he doesn't have one to demo.
"You can buy one and return it if you don't like it", he said.
I told him I didn't want to stick him with a used mower just to try it out.

Everyone says "buy commercial", but I'm not spending that much on a 21" mower only to find I don't like how it handles in comparison to what I've been using. I honestly don't CARE if the commercial mower lasts ten years. I want the mower that is easy to use.

Easy to use every day for 3-4 years.
Harder to use EVERY DAY for TEN friggin' YEARS.

OOOOOHHH!!! Which one should I get???

Make sense?
The exmark 30 is a very easy to use machine. I actually enjoy push mowing for short periods of time whenever I use it.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts

Tags
n'at!