Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
Looking to fill a laborer position in Gibsonia, any help in referring anyone is greatly appreciated. May even be looking for 2 guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good luck. My summer help has dried up. I have jobs lined up and no time to do them. Going to try to bang them out solo before the leaves fall. The only new work I am accepting is mowing if it is in a neighborhood I'm already in. Anything else is being declined as my friends are booked solid too. I picked up many new mowing customers this past month and now im stretched thin.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
Good luck. My summer help has dried up. I have jobs lined up and no time to do them. Going to try to bang them out solo before the leaves fall. The only new work I am accepting is mowing if it is in a neighborhood I'm already in. Anything else is being declined as my friends are booked solid too. I picked up many new mowing customers this past month and now im stretched thin.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yup it's near impossible to find help now and I can't handle this leaf season without help. Not good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So, who got wet today?

(raises hand)
Old 09-12-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
So, who got wet today?

(raises hand)
Raises hand, 2X.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, torrential down pour up in Wexford, yikes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Heh. I started my day by rearranging my route to adjust for lawns that must be cut dry vs ones that can be cut wet.
Five down and just put the mower on the truck when it began to POUR.

Sweet. I'll just sit here in the truck for a bit.

Rain stopped and I started another job. Rain started, so I hopped in the truck and checked the Doppler. Waited it out for 15 minutes and went back at it.

Awesome. Finished up a few more and looking at the clock I knew I would get all but one done today.

Headed to the last job just a mile from home and fired her up. I was only slightly damp at this point having been out in light rain, but dodging the downpours. Then it happened - the sky opened up and in an instant I was soaked. I let the mower sit in the middle of the lawn and stood on the porch for ten minutes or so until it slowed again enough to go finish the last few passes.

My shoes won't be dry for tomorrow and the bill of my hat was dripping water ten minutes after the rain had stopped. LOL

I usually get pretty lucky with the rain game, but it beat me today in the end.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

After so much time in late June, July, and early August dodging rain, sitting out rain delays, I find myself aghast to say "We need rain, bad...."

We have not had enough to hardly make the bottom of the bucket wet. Grass is so dry, mowing right after the rain is an easy game.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone know if the city of Pittsburgh picks up leaves at the curb?
Not "bagged at the curb" - piles. (Bagging leaves sucks)

Not many of my prior clients in the city have needed leaf cleanups, so I've never looked into it, but I have a new client in Highland Park with some mature trees that I'll be needing to handle, so I need to plan accordingly.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oaknut, "bagging leaves sucks." You probably will not get any disagreement on this statement.

But, it does imply that you have experience. What kind of bag did you use? Plastic, or paper refuse bags?

If paper refuse bags, what did you use to hold the bag while filling?

I used to haul away leaves by the trailer load. In the last few years, I've nearly eliminated the haul-away style. I've learned various mulching techniques that have changed how I handle leaves. I have taken the bin off my trailer that I used to haul limited quantities.

However, I have a couple of properties that required handling leaves for haul-away, or leaving in paper bags. Our township will refuse leaves in plastic bags, but will take them at the curb in paper bags. The bags required for use are sold in local hardware stores, and even grocery stores. Also, the township will come with a vacuum to take away a strip of leaves at the curb, but you need to buy a coupon at $45 (maybe $50). Quantities are unlimited.

But, for the couple of properties in question, there is not enough to use the township coupon system. And, I don't want to manage two trailers for hauling away 3, 4, or 5 bags.

So, I am interested in a good way to hold the paper bags for filling. I have used (albeit sparingly) a 33 gal trash barrel. However, the rectangular bag in the round container does not work very well. Also, the top extends above the top of the barrel, there is no way to hold it open.

I think I have seen some home owners with a fold able cardboard stand, the right size so the bag fits inside. The bag does not quite reach the height of the sides. When full, the cardboard unit slides off over the top. I think the sign on the side said Home Depot.

I don't see cardboard working very well -- getting wet, and then falling apart. I was wondering if there is something better. I've seen a bagger unit, with a funnel on the top. But, it is designed for plastic bags, and is able to only work with round openings.

I am thinking of trying to build something of plywood, a bag holder that comes apart for storage and transport, but is durable enough to be jostled on a trailer. I think the inside dimensions are something like 18X20", at about 40" high. I can get the exact measurements. I think somebody would have made one for retail.

Anybody? Or, even ideas of a good way to hold the paper bag while filling. I think we can agree that "bagging leaves suck," so I am trying to make it as painless as possible. I believe I might have as many as 20 bags for the Fall season, spread among three properties, 2 here, 4 there, 3 there, etc.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Two words. Leaf vacuum.

They are amazing and well worth the cost, goodbye bags, bagging or tarping the truck. 10x reduction in volume as well, simply amazing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
n'at!