The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

so many leaves! not overwhelmed at all. blow em off. suck em up. mow and go
2002 6x12 Single Axle Landscaping Trailer
2013 7x16 Quality Equipment Trailer
1994 5x8 Lone Wolf Trailer

Exmark, Snapper, Ferris, Encore, Billy Goat, Honda, Echo, Stihl, Husky, and Ryan

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344647
http://www.mcginnlandscaping.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/McG...30091293747444
Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed, love the leaf season!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG_Landscaping View Post
so many leaves! not overwhelmed at all. blow em off. suck em up. mow and go
Meh. Nothing to suck 'em up with. Usually nowhere to blow 'em off to.
Can't mow if there are too many of them.
Most of my properties either don't get many leaves, or they don't care about them, or the leaves are so numerous it's a PITA for me because I'm not set up for large cleanups.

One day leaf season will be profitable, but for now, it's mostly just a hassle at the end of the mowing season.

That said, I find that my Ferris 36" will really pulverize the CRAP out of dry leaves and doesn't do half bad with freshly fallen ones.
If people are not picky about seeing some "leaf bits" I can mulch them up and be done with it.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Missing out on a lot of money not doing leaves. I have the same 36 and it can mow anywhere a 21 can with leaves or not. I only wish leave season lasted longer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Missing out on a lot of money not doing leaves. I have the same 36 and it can mow anywhere a 21 can with leaves or not. I only wish leave season lasted longer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Do you bag, or mulch the leaves?

I don't have a catcher and side discharge is not an option - at all.
I installed a mulch kit. Great for maintained lawns - not so good for biweekly cuts, so next season, I'm dropping several of the ones I had trouble with this season. Too much crap built up under the deck on the tall lawns. Grass caked on the tires that then flops off on the street on the way back to the trailer making me look like a freaking hack. Not worth the hassle.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Throw a set of g5 blades on and a chute blocker and most of your issues even on biweekly accounts will be gone. I have no issues with caked up grass and I only have issues with grass on tires if its very high and wet. In that case I just kick it off with my feet before I have to use a sidewalk or street. Worse case scenario I blow the grass away. Still tons faster than using a 21.

I have a mulch kit and bagger on it but only for when I absolutely have to bag grass. I made a chute blocker that can be removed with a wing nut in about 30 seconds. Zero turns have baggers but are set up the same way.

Leaves get blown into piles, plowed and sucked up with vac or plowed into the trailer.

Before that we blew them into piles and tarped them onto the trailer unless we blew them onto the back of properties or to the street for curbside pickup.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 11-06-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grossed one of my biggest months this year in October due to leaf clean ups and I was able to take 3 days off. Man I love leaves, pennies flying down to the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Throw a set of g5 blades on and a chute blocker and most of your issues even on biweekly accounts will be gone. I have no issues with caked up grass and I only have issues with grass on tires if its very high and wet. In that case I just kick it off with my feet before I have to use a sidewalk or street. Worse case scenario I blow the grass away. Still tons faster than using a 21.

I have a mulch kit and bagger on it but only for when I absolutely have to bag grass. I made a chute blocker that can be removed with a wing nut in about 30 seconds. Zero turns have baggers but are set up the same way.

Leaves get blown into piles, plowed and sucked up with vac or plowed into the trailer.

Before that we blew them into piles and tarped them onto the trailer unless we blew them onto the back of properties or to the street for curbside pickup.
Posted via Mobile Device
As far as leaves go, like I said - I'm not set up for leaf cleanups. I don't have a vac, or anywhere to put the leaves.

My trailer is a 5x8 and If the mowers are on it there's no room for debris beyond a few bags of it.
I've done a few cleanups by tarping and dragging to the trailer, but I'm limited in how much I can haul even if I leave the mowers at home.

Curbside pickup is my best option, but not many areas do this.

For now, I just mulch what I can. and do a few that are small enough to handle, or have a place to blow them to.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Artillery

My weapons used to fight the leaf wars.

Sorry, duplicate ... didn't get the photos uploaded, too big. Resized and submitted below.

Last edited by Roger; 11-06-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Artillery

My weapons used to fight the leaf wars.
Attached Images

Tags
n'at!