Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
As far as leaves go, like I said - I'm not set up for leaf cleanups. I don't have a vac, or anywhere to put the leaves.

My trailer is a 5x8 and If the mowers are on it there's no room for debris beyond a few bags of it.
I've done a few cleanups by tarping and dragging to the trailer, but I'm limited in how much I can haul even if I leave the mowers at home.

Curbside pickup is my best option, but not many areas do this.

For now, I just mulch what I can. and do a few that are small enough to handle, or have a place to blow them to.
I agree. I am set up to a certain extent for leaf removal. But I only do leaf removal for my lawn customers. I have turned down many jobs from people looking for leaf clean ups. Leaf clean ups are too time consuming and not something i care doing. If you are solo and not set up it is smart to stay away from large clean ups. I will be lucky to get all of my customers done this year. Too time, labor and equipment heavy for my liking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Forward all you turn away to me! I love doing leaf clean ups and can get em done very efficiently. Even if you guys could get an older used leaf vac, you'll save your back and of course more importantly, your TIME!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I like hearing guys not wanting to do leaves.

There was a time I hated them but with the right equipment and not all that huge of an expense/investment, a solo guy can set himself up for very fast cleanups and the equipment will pay for itself after a few weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As a solo, working leaves is very hard work. There is lots of time with blower, in and out, up and down, around and through, inside and outside, .... I posted a pic a couple of days ago of my "artillery." The wheeled leaf blower does a great job, but it takes lots of energy to push and pull it around. I do not have a leaf loader/hauler scheme. I used to haul away most leaves, but now, haul away almost nothing. That change helped with time (and work loading to open trailer), but a full day of leaf work takes its toll (e.g. Mon, Tue, Wed, and today). I have another full day lined up tomorrow, so will be leaving it all by tomorrow night.

Forecast says snow showers, with a high of 34, on Tuesday. More difficult days ahead.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A big backpack blower, a large self-propelled wheel blower and a leaf plow mounted to either of your mowers would cut your time at least in half up to possibly as much as 70%, not to mention much less toll on your body.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those are good ideas. But, I don't want a leaf plow. A plow implies moving leaves to some pick-up point. In my operations, I don't want to pick up anything. Yes, a self-propelled blower would help immensely. They are expensive, and at this season of life, I'm not inclined to spent that much money. Usually, the SP models are for 16hp engines. My 8hp model weighs about 128#. It moves easily on two pneumatic tires on hard surfaces. But, it isn't used much to clear hard surfaces, rather soft ground, with vole undermining. Nearly all my properties have slopes, and leaves find their way onto slopes. Yes, now realize a good backpack would be useful as well. Again, in this season of life, I have a hard time justifying the cost vs. usage.

Good ideas, however. Thank you.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A plow can also be used to push leaves to curbs or backs of properties. The $600 can be paid for in a good cleanup. I have a 13hp sp wheeled blower picked up in the off season brand new for about $1300 and the biggest backpack blower can be bought for $500. That's about 6 smaller/decent cleanups and they're still worth money if/when you're done. I buy everything in the offseason unless I absolutely have to have it. Lots of deals to be had.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Heh. $600 for a cleanup? I need to move to where you work!

I did a cleanup today. I blew the leaves away from the house/beds and then mulched the bejesus out of them.

That sort of cleanup doesn't pay much because it's not a very big job, but it's better than nothing.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish leaf season was longer. $600 is a good cleanup but that's/we're small compared to some of the rigs running. I've seen some awesome rigs and guys making quick work of big cleanups.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yesterday I did leaf cleanups for my clients who live where the municipality does curbside pickup.

High wind warning tonight!

I wonder how many of those 150' long, 5' wide piles of leaves along the street will still be there tomorrow for Monday pickup?

Tags
n'at!