Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2014, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by white350 View Post
ok 93chevy first off you don't have to be a dickhead all iasked was a simple question and don't need your smart ass comments I do no how to do a French drain ive done them for years my question was how to bid it like as is how much rock ill need theres always a mathematical equation to figure this out and that's what kind of answers I was looking for someone to tell me what that is or were to look I no what rock to use (quit making it sound so complicated on what rock to use your not that smart) the only other question I asked was what the going rate was for a French drain (as in per foot ) like 99% of companys bid. next time ill just keep my questions to myself since your so far up and above any other contractor cause oyur just the best and sooooooo damn smart.
Why don't you try doing some research for yourself before calling people names? Do you honestly expect us to help you when nobody knows how your business is set up and we have no idea of what your operating costs are?

I'm trying to save you a lawsuit or a municipal fine. These are all items you need to take into account. It's not just tossing pipe in the ground.

Since you asked so nicely if you want to calculate gravel, it's length x width x depth.

Look into E Z Flow drainage systems. You can save tons of labor and materials.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I called a local real estate company today. I told them I was calling all my clients for the year, gearing up for the season and they are currently selling one of my clients properties. They didn't know what to say really, the agent told me that he thinks they got someone already, but scheduled an appointment for me to come in tomorrow and talk with the manager. He said "bring business cards, legal information, etc".

Has anybody ever done this before? The guy on the phone was stone-walled and didn't even know what to say.

Last edited by JimsLocalLawn; 03-25-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not understanding what you are doing. Is an agent in the RE office handling the sale of a property that you had worked last season, and you are wanting to get on board with the new owner? Or, is the present owner leaving the house vacant, while the agent continues to look for a buyer, and you are wanting to work the property until ownership transfers? Why did you call the RE office, ... that is unclear.

When I know a present customer is selling, I give them a business card to pass along to the new owner. Typically, a package of materials/documents is passed between the two parties. My request is to get my card included in the package. Sometimes, the card is used and I get a call. But, typically, I make a call on the new owner, at the time of moving, or very shortly thereafter. A face-to-face is probably more effective than merely having a business card in the documents passed. Usually, the new owner acknowledges seeing the card, so I know that part of the process has worked. But, getting the new owner to call takes a proactive measure to make contact with me. Having seen a card, my appearance at the door is no surprise. Sometimes, I get the property again, and other times not (e.g. elderly former owners, with young family as new owners).
Old 03-25-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good workdays, both Monday and Tuesday, huh? Cool, but I was prepping beds for mulch -- lots of hand edging, digging out sod, cutting limbs, ... lots of heavy work to keep me warm. I am now into spreading 20 cu yds of mulch, so the cool day forecasted tomorrow will be another good work day for this task.

No hint of anything green on the turf yet. Oh boy, ... another late start.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I serviced the property last year. I am willing to service the property until it sells, currently the home is vacant. The present owner thinks its the real estate agencies responsibility to maintain the lawn while its for sale. I told her no but she insisted that I called and talked to her agent. I have 4 lawns on that street and would like to stay in contact with the new owner. Now the agent wants to meet me, he said nobody has every called to ask if they need properties maintained.

I didn't call to ask for a job, but I think the agent assumed this. Anyway I will go in tomorrow and talk with them.

Got nothing better to do - still waiting for my new trimmer racks and backpack blower rack to come in. Bought a new trailer and anxious to get things setup. I'm not ready to put out door hangers just yet so need something to fill this void. I agree on the late start - was snowing here today.

I looked at the 10 day forcast yesterday - on April 1st the high was 72 the low was 61. Today for April 1st they have the high as 54 the low as 33. I should of been a weatherman
Old 03-25-2014, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
I serviced the property last year. I am willing to service the property until it sells, currently the home is vacant. The present owner thinks its the real estate agencies responsibility to maintain the lawn while its for sale. I told her no but she insisted that I called and talked to her agent. I have 4 lawns on that street and would like to stay in contact with the new owner. Now the agent wants to meet me, he said nobody has every called to ask if they need properties maintained.

I didn't call to ask for a job, but I think the agent assumed this. Anyway I will go in tomorrow and talk with them.

Got nothing better to do - still waiting for my new trimmer racks and backpack blower rack to come in. Bought a new trailer and anxious to get things setup. I'm not ready to put out door hangers just yet so need something to fill this void. I agree on the late start - was snowing here today.

I looked at the 10 day forcast yesterday - on April 1st the high was 72 the low was 61. Today for April 1st they have the high as 54 the low as 33. I should of been a weatherman
The real estate agent we used to but our house feeds me all of her landscaping needs for current houses for sale. In my experience it's up to the homeowner to decide and to pay the bills. I do about 5 lawns at any given time for her so I'd have to say that your customer is incorrect in assuming the real estate company takes care of the landscaping/lawn needs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
....r so I'd have to say that your customer is incorrect in assuming the real estate company takes care of the landscaping/lawn needs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agree with this. The existing owner is responsible for maintenance until the property transfers ownership.

I have one customer who is a RE agent. He has given me a few referrals of those who were doing their own work, but were vacating the property while still on the market. I think all but one fell through -- they were leaving and were only looking for the "$10 kid up the street." They had always done their own cutting, and were unaccustomed to pay another to do the work.

I did have one case where the owners gave over the maintenance to the agent. They were moving to Japan, and did not want to do long-distance home maintenance work. I sent my invoices to the agent, who paid them. I don't know, nor did I need to know, the agreement between the owner and the agent. For me, it was a good deal -- very good price, assured of getting paid, house always vacant, etc. This lasted for more than a season before the property was sold.

But, the usual case is the the existing owner is responsible, until transfer.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Question: Do I put this mulch OVER the 2" of snow, or UNDER it?

Old 03-26-2014, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am planning to put the mulch over top, starting right after noon today. If we capture some of the snow, we can uncover it on the 90 degree days in July, seeking some heat relief.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I met with the real estate company - as I thought it's up to the homeowner to care for the property until sold. He said they have a hard time when the homes are left vacant. He told me stories of the agents trying to show nice homes and walking through foot tall grass.

Anyway I picked up a new Stihl BR600 yesterday and WOW what a machine, I can certainly see my handheld collecting dust this year. I got so much to do next week to prepare for the season, calls are already starting to filter in. I picked up a new 5x8 trailer and new racks for it as well. So far my backpack doesn't fit the new rack tho - so if I fabricate a basket for the front of my trailer I will have a really inexpensive (or free) backpack blower rack if anybody needs. Got 2 estimates to do on Monday and I haven't started advertising yet! My door hangers came in - I would really like to get them out in the next week or two.

After spending a small fortune in new equipment / advertising I found a good deal on a 36" walk behind on craigslist in Penn Hills. I simply can't afford it but it seems like a great price if anybody is interested in a 36 belt http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/4387075483.html

I'm overspent for the year - or I would go check it out. I know a lot of you guys don't like belts but I love mine!

Tags
n'at!