Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2014, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just posted some pics of a few jobs I did today here http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=1#post5026609

Did 11 lawns today, 6 of which were over 1 acre, the other 5 were about a half acre. Did it all with the walk behind, I'm exhausted! Got 9 lawns scheduled for tomorrow and I will be all caught up for the week. Also got 3 estimates to do tomorrow. I picked up 12 new accounts so far for the year.

So far I'm averaging 3 calls a day for estimates. I guess that's okay but I am doing a lot of advertising. Things are definitely turning around - just slower than I anticipated. The web is bringing me in a lot of leads - but not in my service area. I specifically put my service area...but still getting calls from all over the place. Good problem to have!

Hope everybody is having a good year so far!
Old 05-02-2014, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did 11 today as well. Most were tiny though - all cut with Toro SR4 21".

Would have been 10, but as I was finishing the last one the next door neighbor asked if I had any room in my schedule for another client. It's a crappy lawn right next to a fairly nice lawn - all last season I only saw it cut a few times.

"OK, these people are NOT going to want to pay, but I'm gonna see what happens", I thought to myself.

I looked it over - smaller than the $35 lawn I had just cut. "Well, my starting price is $35 - I know it's not a very big lawn, but you can let me know if that will work for you - I'll get you a card from my truck."

She said that was fine. LOL! I never thought she would go for it - I was approached by some guy last week the same way - "Hey, "since you're already here..." Oh, yeah, since I'm already here, YOU should get a super-big DISCOUNT, right? I don't THINK so. He nearly choked when I gave him a price.

I'm still not convinced that she'll stick with weekly cuts as agreed, but we will see.
I don't care one way or the other. If the grass can be cut biweekly (It's pretty thin/shaded), I may allow it. If not, no big loss.

The even better part is that an existing client who lives a mile away is moving in a month or two. Moving RIGHT across the street from these other two! HA! Pretty freaky.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started at 8am got home at 9pm. Check out the photo's....some of the lawns were 2 feet high!

To be honest I recently took a few jobs that I should of passed - simply because I don't have the proper equipment to mow them efficiently. The guys with the zero turns out here cut throat each other on price so bad it's pathetic. I've heard prices as low as $50 per acre.... just pathetic.

Anyway I needed the work, so I took the jobs on. For less than I desire but again....I'm not setup to mow lawns that large. I really like the under .10 acre jobs that pay $35! In and out in less than 20 minutes!

One job today took me 2 hours - and only pays $70 I did tell the customer that It's so big for me that I'm actually losing money, then she tipped me $20 and I felt bad - so I kept her on on schedule She also told me I can use her John Deere tractor if I wanted... which I wouldn't do but she opened the garage and there sat the REAL john deere $5000 compact tractor. Of course she said that after I finished I just brushed that off as a kind gesture.

I figure I can weed out the larger (less profitable) jobs when I get a full schedule. I'm not going to buy a $10,000 mower for a $50 lawn when I can buy a $400 mower and do a $35 lawn that takes me half the time. Makes no sense why these guys lowball prices on these larger properties!

Anyway - go check out the pics!
Old 05-03-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I'm one of those low ballers haha. i have an acre account at $55 but me and a helper are in and out in 45 minutes if we're dragging our feet
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2014, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

As a solo operator, I killed myself my first year doing crap like that and worse.
I had a $30 job that took 45-55 minutes - it was dumb. dumb. dumb.

A few years later, I realized the value of a small, city "lawn".
I just started a new one this Thursday on the Edgewood/Swissvale border and while I'm trying to start my pricing at $35, I priced it at $30 weekly. I thought they would laugh in my face, but the price was accepted and a check written for the entire month of may. It took me a documented 20 minutes from the time I turned off the ignition to the time I closed the tailgate after loading my equipment.
20 minutes the FIRST time there, so you know it will easily be a casual 15 minutes once I nail down a routine.

$30 for 15 minutes works for me. I have another rental that takes 15-20 minutes and I get $38. I make the most money on the days I work these types of jobs in the city since I can get about 15 lawns done all within a few blocks or so.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Anybody has a Kawi FX850v laying around? Kohler is junk on my zero turn. Nothing like a $2000 stab to the pocket book!

GM Trucks
Belmont Trailers
Gravely
Honda
Stihl
GiantVac
Lesco
Ryan
Permagreen
Old 05-03-2014, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch. No bueno hombre. Just buy Scott's Ferris, has an almost new motor on her!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
Ouch. No bueno hombre. Just buy Scott's Ferris, has an almost new motor on her!
Posted via Mobile Device
The rest of the machine is in great shape and it cuts awesome. Also get a 4 year warranty on the motor
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
Anybody has a Kawi FX850v laying around? Kohler is junk on my zero turn. Nothing like a $2000 stab to the pocket book!
Had a Junk Kohler on my Z rider as well. Luckily it was still under full warenty an i got a bran new kawi machine.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
The rest of the machine is in great shape and it cuts awesome. Also get a 4 year warranty on the motor
Posted via Mobile Device
Might want to bump up your post count there my man! Just sayin.

Tags
n'at!