Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2014, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just asking because if the money is good and the lawns are extremely small, a reel mower is light, inexpensive, and I would think time/cost/weight effective for those steps/lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by echo; 05-09-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Just asking because if the money is good and the lawns are extremely small, a reel mower is light, inexpensive, and I would think time/cost/weight effective for those steps/lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device
Heh. I never considered that.
Not that I'd want to lug one around (no real room for one) just for one, or two properties.

I have one that's probably 50+ years old in the back of the garage. Still spins nice and smooth.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I took a job today I should of passed on - it's 1.75 acres I bid it $175 per cut. She said the last guys used zero turns and where there for 1 hour. Unfortunately I have a 36" Walk behind so I guess I'm going to be there for 3 hours....

I really thought the customer was going to tell me no way, but she said I come highly recommended so go figure... looks like I need to start shopping around for a more productive machine, finally outgrowing my 36! I don't think I'm going to buy a zero turn - because 90% of my lawns are still under 1/4 acre. Possibly a 48" Hydro walk behind would be a good fit? What do you guys think? How much more productive is a 48" Hydro over a 36" belt? I don't care about comfort - I'm going to be the only one operating it.

This makes property #4 that is over 1 acre - so I think it's time...

Also I need something I can pay cash for - not doing loans no matter how good the program. Want the machine to pay for itself this year - not 4 years from now. Any recommendations?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
I took a job today I should of passed on - it's 1.75 acres I bid it $175 per cut. She said the last guys used zero turns and where there for 1 hour. Unfortunately I have a 36" Walk behind so I guess I'm going to be there for 3 hours....

I really thought the customer was going to tell me no way, but she said I come highly recommended so go figure... looks like I need to start shopping around for a more productive machine, finally outgrowing my 36! I don't think I'm going to buy a zero turn - because 90% of my lawns are still under 1/4 acre. Possibly a 48" Hydro walk behind would be a good fit? What do you guys think? How much more productive is a 48" Hydro over a 36" belt? I don't care about comfort - I'm going to be the only one operating it.

This makes property #4 that is over 1 acre - so I think it's time...

Also I need something I can pay cash for - not doing loans no matter how good the program. Want the machine to pay for itself this year - not 4 years from now. Any recommendations?
Hydro over belt drive will save you time and effort, go with a 52" and you'll really save time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
Perhaps it's time to re-introduce myself.

I'm Travis, 29 and own an LCO in Gibsonia, PA that services the north hills.
Posted via Mobile Device
Me too my man. I am the Bunpmaster!
Old 05-11-2014, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Got the new kawi on the zero turn. ordered it Wednesday night at about 11 and it was Friday at lunch. Never will i purchase another kohler product.

A piece of advice for everyone, after tearing apart 3 pieces of stihl equipment for valves and such. For Christ's sake buy mid grade and run stihl oil. you don't think it makes a difference i should have compared the 2 br600s i did. The fs100 i just got had rock hard fuel lines from ethanol and is still having carb issues.

As a side note, if anybody needs valves adjusted on br600s etc. I can do a br in about half an hour and trimmers in probably 15 minutes rather than taking it to the dealer.

I saw a Stockman truck in the villa. They didn't wave but i'm glad they pushed the hack that used to mow that lawn out it was dangerous even being near that property.

I wear carhartts and dickies as well, must be a north hills thing. I wear Chippewa loggers for boots.

GM Trucks
Belmont Trailers
Gravely
Honda
Stihl
GiantVac
Lesco
Ryan
Permagreen
Old 05-11-2014, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm sick. First time in four years I've been sick during the working season.

Had to go to a Urgent Care place for something and forced to sit for an hour in a cramped waiting room filled with hacking, sneezing people.
GAH! I knew it was going to happen!

Gonna need a tissue dispenser on the mower tomorrow. Maybe duct tape a box to the trimmer shaft as well. LOL
Old 05-12-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Working while sick sucks.

Working in the rain while sick is doubly sucky.

Friggin' mad-growth too. I hate fertilizer. I hate it a lot.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Working while sick sucks.

Working in the rain while sick is doubly sucky.

Friggin' mad-growth too. I hate fertilizer. I hate it a lot.
This isn't going to be a fun couple of weeks, rain plus fert plus warm weather makes for miserable cutting.

Bring on September cutting please.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone interested in bidding on a weekly 5 acre lawn in venetia/peters twp? I went to look at it, and its waaaaay out of my league. PM me if anyone is interested, I have contact info and the permission to share it with other companies that are equipped to do it.

Is it just me and roger down here in the south hills? Nearly all of my clients are in Venetia/Peters so I dont see any from here in the field. I drive past Custom Turf's shop alot, but thats about it.

Tags
n'at!