Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2014, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Man, there's hardly anyone on here from the whole area. Well, at least they don't post in this thread anyway.

Maybe they're afraid they'd have to smile and wave if they posted here and interacted instead of giving that cold, "I'm gunna CUT you" stare as they drive by.

LOL

Life's too short to be an a$$ like that. Smile a little - you'll live longer.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I couldn't answer the phone fast enough today - 14 calls! All want estimates! I got to a handful but some were out of my service area. Any of you guys work in the everson / greensburg area? Got 2 customers wanting estimates - both properties are tiny.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
Anyone interested in bidding on a weekly 5 acre lawn in venetia/peters twp? I went to look at it, and its waaaaay out of my league. PM me if anyone is interested, I have contact info and the permission to share it with other companies that are equipped to do it.

Is it just me and roger down here in the south hills? Nearly all of my clients are in Venetia/Peters so I dont see any from here in the field. I drive past Custom Turf's shop alot, but thats about it.
Hey, man I'm interested in taking a look at it if your cool with passing it on, I'll PM you my number if you want to shot me a text about it, I'm real cose to you. BTW truck looks good lettered up!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man.... I don't know how you guys do it. Today the phone never stopped ringing. One guy said "If you don't come now I will find someone else...." I explained to him there are 16 people in front of him - and there's no possible chance I can even come today, so go ahead and call someone else. Sheesh everybody wants done NOW.

I think I am at new customer #28 for the year. Dead tired today - worked from 7 am till the storms stopped me at 8 pm. Oh by the way - today's my birthday, I'm 32 years old!

Literally 16 calls today alone, all want estimates.... good problem to have, but I already have 4 estimates scheduled. I'm getting to the point where I am pre-qualifying customers over the phone, and not accepting bi-weeklies at all. I seriously need some downtime...

Anybody else notice how strange the sky was tonight? There was 3 sections right around dusk - one area was blue, the other was orange, and the third was red. Almost looked like the entire sky was a rainbow.... Should of took a pic
Old 05-13-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have each customer on a schedule? It sounds like customers don't know the day they should expect you. Why would they be calling. Or, are these all new customers for which you have not yet made first visit?

I didn't get started as early as you did, about 8:00. But, I did not get home until 9:00 -- dry all day. I did not expect that. However, I hear that rain is in the forecast for every day for the rest of the week. Ugh....

I think the saying goes something like, "I came, I saw, I conquered." For me today, it was "I came, I saw, I was defeated." Hayfields everywhere! The change from last week is immense. The response should not be unexpected, wet, wet, and more wet, then warm, then hot, then more hot. Fert is really kicking in, and the growth is kicking .... (well, you know).
Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea these are all new customers wanting estimates for the first time, never made the first visit yet. My scheduled customers know when I will be there - that never changes. But the volume of calls coming in from people who want to hire a lawn service is crazy. They are all ready to hire NOW! They don't want to wait a day for an estimate either!
Old 05-13-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

OMG it was miserable today. No, I was miserable. Maybe it was both?
Working in 85 degrees with a chest cold BLOWS.

I'm only getting about 3 inquiries per day, but that's fine because I'm almost at 100% capacity for mowing.
I should have cut a few loose this season, but I didn't, and I'm just going to cut ties at the end of the season. Nothing horrible, just not a good match with my route.

I've been turning down work left and right because I don't have time. It's time to mow lawns people - cleanups should have been done over a month ago!

Tomorrow will be fun. Mowing in the rain while sick. Can't wait.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
Yea these are all new customers wanting estimates for the first time, never made the first visit yet. My scheduled customers know when I will be there - that never changes. But the volume of calls coming in from people who want to hire a lawn service is crazy. They are all ready to hire NOW! They don't want to wait a day for an estimate either!
Maybe the code enforcement letters are starting to go out?

Old 05-15-2014, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm wet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2014, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone on here service Imperial/Bulger? I have two long time, good standing clients I would like to pass off. My routes are getting tighter and tighter on radius and I spend too much time driving to these two as I have to go back out on another day to service. PM me and we'll chat about the details.

Servicing Greater Pittsburgh & Surrounding Areas

Tags
n'at!