Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2014, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm even wetter now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2014, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What a miserable day.

I had 12 lawns scheduled and no way to just add them all to tomorrow's workload, so I went out and mowed the small ones with thin grass.
Well, except for the first one. Damned fertilizer people. Tiny lawn that takes about 20 minutes total under normal circumstances (mulching) took forever today. It hadn't started raining when I arrived - holy crap it's 8" tall! Started mowing and the rain started too. I had to raise the mower (21") and bag it then lower and bag more. Two short passes and the stupid thing would clog. GREAT mulching mower, but HORRIBLE at bagging anything but short, dry grass. It was a nightmare and I almost went home, but kept at it and got four and a half done today - raining lightly the whole time and raining pretty steady around 2pm.

Raincoat was pointless as it makes me sweat and then I still get wet and I'm miserable, so I just got soaked, and kept chugging away.

Oh yeah, we must have reached the point of panic for the general public because my phone rang about 5 times before I left the house today. Everyone has "emergencies" - I'm having an open house on Sunday and the grass is knee-high - it's just a little slope in front in Squirrel Hill...

"My schedule is full, I'm sorry."
"Well what about tomorrow - can you come then?"
"It's going to rain all day, so my Thursday work gets bumped to Friday and Friday gets bumped to Saturday..."

(Huff) "Ooo-Kay... Thanks." (click)

Maybe if you're selling your house you should think of this crap a little sooner than 5 weeks into the mowing season?
Old 05-15-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did a drive by estimate during a torrential downpour in venetia...got the acct. Lol. Got a hair cut, bank deposit and dinner. Still a productive day all things considered.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not wet today but shut down mower at 8:15pm.

driving home with the headlights on!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same here, got in late... spent the day cutting down overgrown properties.

Charged 3x normal rate - Oaknut you were right about the citations... the city has a "no tolerance" law for overgrown grass

I barely got done today, did 3 overgrown properties and finished 6 weekly accounts today. I'm done for the week!!!! I took pic's here ... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...=1#post5038176

Enjoy!
Old 05-17-2014, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wish it were that way here. My pos rental neighbors only mow about 4 times a year and only after we file a complaint(s) with code enforcement.

Neighboring municipalities actively drive around looking for violations, but not here. It's pathetic.

I had to bag and double cut several jobs today that were cut last week. It was terrible how much growth there was. One lady came out when I started the second cut on het front lawn (to get it as low as can possible for MY sake) she walked over, shoved an extra twenty into my hand and said, "I watched an entire episode of Law & Order and I heard you still out here mowing!"

LOL at least she recognized the effort.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2014, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone have any interest in a Mighty Mac hammermill chipper/shredder for cheap?

I picked this up 3/4 years ago used (obviously) for $450.
I used it a few times to shred large hedge cuttings so I wouldn't have to make multiple trips with the trailer, but for the most part it doesn't get used, so I thought I'd sell it and use the money towards something I need more.

The last time I went to start it, it began leaking gas when I opened the fuel line shutoff. I haven't gotten around to replacing whatever needs replaced (gasket?), so I'm willing to take a loss if someone wants to take it and get it running.

I'd take $250 from someone local who wants to come and get it. I'm willing to drive it a short distance to meet if that helps, but for $250, I'm not driving an hour to take it to someone. Will consider other offers for the regular posters here on the forum.

If no interest, I'll post it on in the classifieds here and on Craigslist and see what happens.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Anyone on here service Imperial/Bulger? I have two long time, good standing clients I would like to pass off. My routes are getting tighter and tighter on radius and I spend too much time driving to these two as I have to go back out on another day to service. PM me and we'll chat about the details.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2014, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kicked two biweekly cuts to weekly today. This growth is insane.
Those same two cuts will have the option of staying weekly next season - ALL season, or finding someone else.

I have new criteria for biweekly cuts.

It has to be no larger than my living room/dining room, and/or sparse, slow growing grass.
"Normal" lawns need not apply.

I'm getting sick of mowing for people who fertilize too.
Who trained these people to think that their damned grass won't grow without being fertilized? Knock it off with the fert and maybe do something about the damned weeds instead!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea once I build up a really tight schedule the first thing I am going to do is drop all bi-weekly lawns. Honestly they are priced appropriately but never justified. They are hard to schedule, hard on equipment, more fuel, more work, no matter the price... I'm just not interested in them.

I have a customer who insist I cut it shorter - he's convinced that he can skip certain weeks if I do so. Explaining to him the benefits wasn't enough. I had to tell him "look, it's weekly or bi-weekly - not half and half. Weekly is this price, Bi-weekly is 50% more.... no exceptions". After a 5 minute lecture I realized I should of said "it's weekly or not at all"

Tags
n'at!