Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
Yea once I build up a really tight schedule the first thing I am going to do is drop all bi-weekly lawns. Honestly they are priced appropriately but never justified. They are hard to schedule, hard on equipment, more fuel, more work, no matter the price... I'm just not interested in them.

I have a customer who insist I cut it shorter - he's convinced that he can skip certain weeks if I do so. Explaining to him the benefits wasn't enough. I had to tell him "look, it's weekly or bi-weekly - not half and half. Weekly is this price, Bi-weekly is 50% more.... no exceptions". After a 5 minute lecture I realized I should of said "it's weekly or not at all"
Yeah, "cut it shorter next time" is the kiss of death for me. Get someone else to scalp your lawn.

I have a crapload of biweekly cuts that are EASY to cut AND are priced higher than if they were weekly. Little, city lots - in and out in 15 minutes with no mess, no bagging - perfect little money-makers.
It's the larger ones that have better grass that are the problem. A few are holdovers from my first year when I was just trying to be nice to the old ladies, and help them save a few dollars, but "nice" doesn't pay MY bills.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm planning on going to look at a TimeMaster 30" tomorrow.

Toro Days Sale is only until the 21st and I've been kicking around the idea for a year now. May as well get it while it's on sale.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Heard good and bad on the TimeMaster, opt for the commercial grade TurfMaster if you can!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
Heard good and bad on the TimeMaster, opt for the commercial grade TurfMaster if you can!
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I know, I know.

I'm having a hard time justifying all that extra money for essentially the same mower though.

More durable wheels would be nice, but other than that, I dunno - I just don't see a huge difference between the two.
I'm not blind to the fact that "commercial is better", but really, the things that I like about the "crappy" one outweigh the things I like about the "good" one.
Lighter, fold up handle, Personal Pace, price.

I'm not concerned with the engine or smaller fuel tank. Big deal - my Briggs equipped SR4 is better than my Honda equipped SR4 and we all know THAT is impossible. (I DESPISE that Honda engine)
I dunno how different the transmissions are, but I haven't had any major issues with my SR4s, so we will see.

My only real concern is how the Personal Pace parts hold up on the larger mower.

Last edited by OakNut; 05-19-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Put up the gate at 9 pm tonight.... I'm exhausted. I'm praying we get the rain they are calling for, I seriously need a down day. I ran over a piece of rebar today with my walk behind Zero damage but it left a nick in the blade... really need to sharpen blades tomorrow!

My feet hurt, I'm just totally worn down. Went from 7 am till 9 pm today. Got 16 lawns schedule tomorrow, and 5 people wanting estimates for the first time.

Added another new customer today - I think that puts me at 26 new accounts, and 5 pending estimates.

I never thought I would ever complain about the belt drive walk behind....but after using it on a really long day like today I can honestly say it wore me down a little. A few more weeks and I should have enough for the Hydro, I can't wait for that day to come

Oaknut I agree that the residential unit is the better machine "Dollar for dollar".
Old 05-20-2014, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here she is.
Picture thread here.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Im sure we all feel this way but im over this season already lol anybody spray for weeds on a large scale or know of someone who does?

Servicing Greater Pittsburgh & Surrounding Areas
Old 05-21-2014, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny01blaze View Post
Im sure we all feel this way but im over this season already lol anybody spray for weeds on a large scale or know of someone who does?
Yup. I'm looking forward to July and hopefully grass burning out for a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2014, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Did 120 yards of mulch on Monday...didn't get home till 9 but I'm glad to get those three houses competed by the holiday
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2014, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im in the market for a used leaf loader to mess around with. Doesnt even have to be running, just looking for the housing and impeller to be in good shape. Dont even need all the tubes. Its a project I want to mess with. If anyone has anything or knows of someone who does, let me know.

Tags
n'at!