Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1811  
Old 05-28-2014, 12:18 AM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
Just curious how many of you don't take on new customers? I've been hearing this a lot recently from people calling for estimates.
Once you're at capacity, that's it. There's only so may hours in a day.

I've taken on a few this season to replace a couple clients that had moved and such, and was able to add a few that happened to be right on an existing route, but beyond that, I can't just take everyone who calls. (and I don't WANT everyone who calls. LOL)

The luxury of a full schedule is being choosy. No more crap lawns. No more dead-end, trailering nightmares, no more anything I don't feel like dealing with.
On top of that the axe will be dropping on a few at the end of this season - if not sooner. Don't want to hold up your end of the agreement and clean up the dog poo? Buh and BYE! Don't want to go weekly until the mad spring growth stops? Start looking for someone else.
Reply With Quote
  #1812  
Old 05-29-2014, 07:52 AM
lawnkingforever's Avatar
lawnkingforever lawnkingforever is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
Just curious how many of you don't take on new customers? I've been hearing this a lot recently from people calling for estimates.
I am not accepting any new business now. I am barely getting done my current accounts. In fact I dropped 3 yards last week. I am also raising prices this billing cycle to weed out a few more. I have turned down more work this season than ever before. I have mulch jobs lined up for the next 2 months.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #1813  
Old 05-29-2014, 12:17 PM
TuffTurfLawnCare TuffTurfLawnCare is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pittsburgh (South Hills)
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I am not accepting any new business now. I am barely getting done my current accounts. In fact I dropped 3 yards last week. I am also raising prices this billing cycle to weed out a few more. I have turned down more work this season than ever before. I have mulch jobs lined up for the next 2 months.
Posted via Mobile Device
Same here. I don't have much time left for new accounts. A mulch job here and there sure, but weekly mowing is about full. With the weather this week, I'm 2 days behind right now as it is and I'm already booked for the weekend. I wouldn't have to work weekends mowing if the weather working in my favor, but I'll take this instead of drought any day of the week.

Lawn king, are you in Venetia with a box truck? I think I saw you in Finleyville weds
__________________
Just like everyone else on here, I have stuff that cuts, whacks, mows and blows. And way to haul it around.
Reply With Quote
  #1814  
Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 PM
lawnkingforever's Avatar
lawnkingforever lawnkingforever is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
Same here. I don't have much time left for new accounts. A mulch job here and there sure, but weekly mowing is about full. With the weather this week, I'm 2 days behind right now as it is and I'm already booked for the weekend. I wouldn't have to work weekends mowing if the weather working in my favor, but I'll take this instead of drought any day of the week.

Lawn king, are you in Venetia with a box truck? I think I saw you in Finleyville weds
Not me. I only do business in northern allegheny county. I run an f 250 and enclosed trailer. I pulled up to a few yards today and became mentally ill. Even after 5 days between service they were high. Mowing maybe steady money but this time of year it sucks. I would sub out my entire route if I could. Next year there will be changes. I am focusing on snow and installs, let everyone else make the peanuts
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #1815  
Old 05-29-2014, 09:18 PM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
Not me. I only do business in northern allegheny county. I run an f 250 and enclosed trailer. I pulled up to a few yards today and became mentally ill. Even after 5 days between service they were high. Mowing maybe steady money but this time of year it sucks. I would sub out my entire route if I could. Next year there will be changes. I am focusing on snow and installs, let everyone else make the peanuts
Posted via Mobile Device
Tell me about it. I'm a relative noob but this seems to be the most rapid spring growth in the last 5 years. Weekly cuts look like they have been skipped and it's taking WAY too much time trying to get them done.

No offense to you guys who do chem apps, but I'd like to punch the Scott's guys right in the nuts. ENOUGH with the fertilizing already!
Reply With Quote
  #1816  
Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 PM
planetlc's Avatar
planetlc planetlc is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 124
Stuff still for sale pictured below! It's all listed on craigslist. Will have trailer, JD 647, and Bad Boy pup up soon!
Attached Images
             
Reply With Quote
  #1817  
Old 05-29-2014, 09:37 PM
Pressedun Pressedun is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 33,341
I'm ready to get out of mowing all together. It's a nightmare, been cutting for 11 years now and have never seen growth like this in that entire time.

Moisture with fertilizers with warm weather makes our lives a living hell.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #1818  
Old 05-30-2014, 09:16 AM
lawnkingforever's Avatar
lawnkingforever lawnkingforever is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,188
Just did my invoices for may. I had a record month. But I still raised prices for many customers. Since Monday is my lightest mowing day I will be now mowing some of my Thursday yards on monday and Thursday to keep the lawns under control. 7 days between mowings is simply too much for some yards. Hopefully I can finish my yards today and do some mulch jobs over the weekend. All of my mowers need blades sharpened and decks scraped once again. I am sick of it
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #1819  
Old 05-30-2014, 11:35 AM
fasterthanamexican fasterthanamexican is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 20
Northern butler county and mercer county here. New to the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #1820  
Old 05-30-2014, 07:52 PM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthanamexican View Post
Northern butler county and mercer county here. New to the forum.
Welcome.

Laughing my arse off at the screen name.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
n'at!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Page generated in 0.11667 seconds with 8 queries