Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2014, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthanamexican View Post
Northern butler county and mercer county here. New to the forum.
They call me the Bumpmaster an that is all you need to know.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everybody finished for the week? I'm not! Next weeks forcast looks promising, 5 days of rain...
Old 05-30-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsLocalLawn View Post
Everybody finished for the week? I'm not! Next weeks forcast looks promising, 5 days of rain...
Wednesday looks clear as of now, hopefully it stays that way. I need to mulch, but can't risk the dye running.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Got 23 to do tomorrow and I'll be caught up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not finished for the week. Monday was the only day in the past three that I cut what I had scheduled. Tuesday had rain delay, and the week has been chaos since. If I have a full day tomorrow, I should be in good shape by day's end.

Does anybody hate clover as much as I hate clover? It does not cut well. It does not mulch well (even when dry)? It is a total disaster when cutting damp or wet. It is slippery for drive wheels on the ZTR (ended up in a flower bed this evening, with rear wheels on clover). And, it is flourishing this week!!!

What diplomatic thing does one say to a customer who ODed their lawn with Scotts Turfbuilder? I showed up two weeks ago to find a hayfield, deep green. When I asked what happened, he pointed into the garage, "... that is what I used... it will really make 'er grow! And, I always open 'er up a little extra in the Spring to get a good start ...." I tried to explain that we aren't making forage crops. While lots of top growth may be good for the local farmer making silage or hay, that is not what residential lawns are about. My explanations fell on deaf ears. All he wanted was "to make 'er grow." I guess the good news is the shot of N will not last very long. I didn't realize retailers even sold this stuff any longer. It is been around for 30 years, maybe longer. Nothing about timed-release of N in Turfbuilder.

Whew! Big shot of N, no release, just plop, ... there it is for all to see. The past couple of weeks, 11 Honda bags off about 4K sq ft.

And, he wanted me to cut lower, because "it looks like it needs cutting again a few days after you were here." Well, duh? The issue is not my cutting height, it is the excessive growth rates as a result of Turfbuilder.

End of rant.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Better move him to a 4 to 5 day schedule or bump that price up!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a client who asked me to "cut it shorter next time because it grows so fast."

Well, yeah, because you started letting your dog crap in the front yard. POOF! Patches of tall, green grass.

It only "grows fast" where the dog poops. Imagine that.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oaknut, ... this is a paradox. The place where we want the finished result to look good, is also the place where the grass is thick, grows well, and is out of control -- in an area within 25 feet of the front door! Yes, the same area where the dog extends his/her domain.

Yes, I have a couple of places are exactly that situation.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Lol ya it happened back when I was just a laborer running a weed eater in new wilmington at a high profile account. The neighboring property had a matching wooden fence and the owners Mexican looking fellow of a lawn care crew challenged me to a duel. I beat him by two posts and it looked great as usual.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I see I forgot to introduce myself. I am the new foreman of custom lawncare in grove city. The company is awesome to work for and is known for high standards and pride in our work. We drive new work trucks and all our equipment is less than a year old. I consider it a privilege to have the opportunity to be in this position. This forum is a great place to come blow off steam.

Tags
n'at!