Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-06-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Who wants to take care of MY lawn?

Cheese and rice I was inside long enough to eat the Arby's sammich I picked up for dinner on the way home then it was back out FRIGGIN SIDE again to trim my hedges and mow my lawn.

I'm standing outside in the dark typing this because I needed a break.

Oooh, look! Pretty stars!

Ugh. Gonna go push the mowers inside and get ready for tomorrow's big fun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Who wants to take care of MY lawn?
I'm looking for a candidate too. I did not get my own cut last weekend. If I skipped a week, do I pay double for the next cut? I think I've read that somewhere on LS -- how the system works.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure what N'at is. But I am talking about Altoona, it is about 80 miles east of Pitt.
Thanks.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos123 View Post
Not sure what N'at is. But I am talking about Altoona, it is about 80 miles east of Pitt.
Thanks.
"N'at" is a Pittsburgh expression. Pay no attention to it. You'd be better off posting the question on the "Starting and Growing a Lawncare and Landscaping Business" forum. Slim chance of finding anybody from Altoona, or finding info about starting a business in Altoona, here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo, not necessarily looking for info on starting a business. I am more interested if anyone knows anything about the Altoona area. Is it a poor area where I would get few accounts, or would there be plenty of lawns to mow?
Thanks for the response.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every area on every map has "poor" communities. Having said that you can't go anywhere else in the world and get a pepperoni roll or chipped ham. You'll love it up here, except in the winter time

I kinda chuckle when I hear you guys say that about your lawns, because I'm the same exact way! I wish we had a neighborhood guy mowing lawns... but I'm that guy!
Old 06-06-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Echo, not necessarily looking for info on starting a business. I am more interested if anyone knows anything about the Altoona area. Is it a poor area where I would get few accounts, or would there be plenty of lawns to mow?
Thanks for the response.
I suggested it because you will have a better chance of finding somebody from there who knows the area better than you would here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-06-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I will be moving to the Altoona area in the next month. I had a small lawn business down near Austin Tx and have not been doing lawns for two years now. After we get settled I am wanting to start mowing again, I actually miss it! Is anyone familiar with the Altoona area? Is this a good place for a lawn service? ANY advice or feedback would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
P.S. Any info on this area would be nice, I have never been there. I do have family in the Washington area south of Pitt.

I used to live about an hour from there so I'm familiar with the area, but that was many years ago and I was still in school, so I don't know what to tell you about the potential for lawn work there.

If I had to guess, there will be a lot of "old people" clients. It's not like Altoona is a booming city with wealthy people with money to burn. There are surely areas there that support our industry, but since the general area is pretty rural, I'd think most people take care of their own lawns.

I hope you like mountains and forests because Altoona sits right in the valley between two mountain ranges that run parallel to each other for miles and miles.
If you don't hunt, or fish, I suggest you just keep moving along. LOL
Or you can just wear camouflage and drive a Dodge Ram 4x4 and maybe nobody will notice.

It's really a beautiful area and I'm somewhat envious to be honest. I hate living in Pittsburgh, but the good part is that there's always work here - always.

Good luck. Welcome to the forum and to Pennsylvania!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't Altoona the home of the famous Horseshoe Curve -- the rail line that loops across a valley?

Now that I think about it a bit, I think they have a minor league baseball team called The Curve.

As Oaknut pointed out, mountains and forests, ... the common motif. Most likely, every lawn to mow will have a slope somewhere, if not everywhere, and it may be steep. The likelihood of finding flat lawns to mow in that area is slim, to none.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

There are other sites that provide info like this, but here's some population/income info on the Altoona area.

Here's a website that seems to be the "Altoona" site.

Tags
n'at!