Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-20-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
You can spray organic chemicals without a license. Anything other than organic and you could be fined.
Posted via Mobile Device

Since it is organic are you allowed to advertise and charge for spraying it?
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmos123 View Post
Since it is organic are you allowed to advertise and charge for spraying it?
Thanks for the info.
From everything I've read you can...but to be safe I would make sure before you do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Does not look like a great morning to get an early start at mowing high grass today?
Old 06-21-2014, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Momma never said that being the best lawnmower in Western Pennsylvania would be easy N'at.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpmaster View Post
Momma never said that being the best lawnmower in Western Pennsylvania would be easy N'at.
Pics or it did not happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Traffic in Pittsburgh was CRAZY today. They picked a terrible day to do construction! With the Luke Bryan concert downtown was out of control. Took me 1 hour to move 10 miles - was terrible....
Old 06-21-2014, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpmaster View Post
Does not look like a great morning to get an early start at mowing high grass today?
Well, it did not start well, improved some throughout the day. Shortly after starting this morning, sprinkles and drizzle. Rain fell while driving to the next stop. Rain stopped, but nothing much dried out, until mid-afternoon. By late in the afternoon, grass dried, but was still damp. The cloud cover kept the humidity high all day.

In our area, about 0.30" rain early this morning. I found water sitting on some properties, and squishy conditions on others.

Yesterday, one of my "high rent" customers, was watering his lawn. He is very particular, and heavily uses his sprinklers through the season. His lawn is a chemically-maintained turf, and at the end of the second cycle of apps. Seeing the turf looking weak -- he fired up the sprinklers. In most areas, the ground was wet enough for my wheels to kick up water. Sorry, Mr. D, lack of water is not the problem.

Some of my "good" properties look terrible. When they should look lush green they look yellowish. I continue to check my height settings, thinking I am cutting too low. Not the case. The wet conditions has left much yellow on the undergrowth. It looks like I am scalping, but such is not the case. Anybody else seeing this?
Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Well, it did not start well, improved some throughout the day. Shortly after starting this morning, sprinkles and drizzle. Rain fell while driving to the next stop. Rain stopped, but nothing much dried out, until mid-afternoon. By late in the afternoon, grass dried, but was still damp. The cloud cover kept the humidity high all day.

In our area, about 0.30" rain early this morning. I found water sitting on some properties, and squishy conditions on others.

Yesterday, one of my "high rent" customers, was watering his lawn. He is very particular, and heavily uses his sprinklers through the season. His lawn is a chemically-maintained turf, and at the end of the second cycle of apps. Seeing the turf looking weak -- he fired up the sprinklers. In most areas, the ground was wet enough for my wheels to kick up water. Sorry, Mr. D, lack of water is not the problem.

Some of my "good" properties look terrible. When they should look lush green they look yellowish. I continue to check my height settings, thinking I am cutting too low. Not the case. The wet conditions has left much yellow on the undergrowth. It looks like I am scalping, but such is not the case. Anybody else seeing this?
As for the yellowing, absolutely. Happening on a lot of mine, cutting them at 3.5 to 4". I know it's not too low.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2014, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post

I have been seeing the same. Again on my high rent treated lawns, there yellowing even cutting at 3.5".

Anyone looking for lawns in Finleyville area? I have a stop with three lawns that I may be getting rid of. They are great customers, I make 55-60/hr at the stop. Im getting spread pretty thin, and im thinking about dropping some so I can have a day off.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello, Im in my second year of business and im looking to upgrade my mower next year. What are most of you western PA guys using? Im looking hard at grasshopper and scag mowers. I need to have a bagger too. Im not sure I like the fabric bags of grasshopper. Anyone have any experience with them? Or scag baggers are they as good as the powervac from GH?

Tags
n'at!