Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-24-2014, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wanna talk "properly secured"?

In Wilkinsburg today I saw a eight or ten foot trailer JAM PACKED with gear.
They had some sort of ZTR on there and there was a push mower sitting ON TOP of the front of the ZTR.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some sycamore trees shed bark more easily than others. I had a customer a few years ago -- terrible bark problem. I have one now with a large sycamore, ... nothing to fall.

As fair warning, sycamore trees will drop small branches regularly, ones that are 2-4 feet long, an inch or so in diameter. These branches at hard as stone. They do not break easily, and create a real ruckus if hit by the mower. I have to do "stick pick up" nearly every week to rid the mowing area of them.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Some sycamore trees shed bark more easily than others. I had a customer a few years ago -- terrible bark problem. I have one now with a large sycamore, ... nothing to fall.

As fair warning, sycamore trees will drop small branches regularly, ones that are 2-4 feet long, an inch or so in diameter. These branches at hard as stone. They do not break easily, and create a real ruckus if hit by the mower. I have to do "stick pick up" nearly every week to rid the mowing area of them.
Thanks for the input.

Fortunately, the property is very small (Edgewood), and consists of three "islands" of grass, so it will be more of an annoyance than anything, but I was shocked to see the amount of debris all over after only one week. (today was the second cut)

I noted my total time last week, but first cuts always take longer.
Today I noted start and finish time (with 21") AND totals for...
(a) blowing debris from drive, walk, deck into lawn to be mulched - 5 minutes
(b) mow - 15 minutes
(c) trim - 5 minutes
(d) blow - 2 minutes
I figure if I need to bag due to excessive bark/leaves, or picking up branches add maybe 5 minutes.

I guess five minutes isn't all that bad for the pre-mow cleanup. I can live with that - it's just annoying. At least the client is cool and will pay whatever I'm asking. Not that I'm looking to milk it or screw him over - I'm just fortunate that he isn't the type to quibble over a few dollars if I need to tweak his price to accommodate extra time due to the damned trees.

I have another property in Monroeville that's good sized and there are sticks on the ground there ALL the time and it's a huge pain in my backside due to the size of the area that needs policed before mowing.
That and a multitude of other reasons are why I'm letting them go next season.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Local weather station recorded 0.90" rain on Saturday, and 1.25" on Sunday. This will help keep the grass keep growing for another week, or more.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Really getting sick of these weathermen not being able to predict the rain. Ruins a day almost as much as the rain
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2014, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Raining in Cranberry, I said screw it on mowing today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2014, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll take rain everyday if it means I ain't gotta water plants an' 'at.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is it summer yet?
Old 07-28-2014, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, yes, ... another tough day at the office. I got wet about 10:30. Dried out, got wet again about 12:30. Dried out, got wet about 2:00. This time, sat out for 90 minutes to have it stop. I continued on, but missed one job for the day. Long day tomorrow to catch up ... But, ground is wet enough to carry into August for good growth.

I did get two confirming observations with homeowners having rain guages, about 2.2" rain over Saturday night, and Sunday. Today, the on/off/on ...pattern produced another 0.27".

Oh yes, did anybody else feel like digging out the Fall clothes? Low to mid-60, wet, stiff breeze, ... shorts were hardly comfortable today. I'm glad I kept my cold-weather clothes in the truck from a couple of months ago.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Lot of Pittsburgians here... Yins ever heard of New Castle? My father is from there. I'm outside of Philly.

"You Grow It, We Mow It!"

eXmark Lazer Z 60" Zero - Turn | 94' eXmark Metro 48" Walk Behind | Ariens Mulcher+ 21" Push Mower
11' Echo SRM-225 Weedwhacker | 14' Stihil BG 56C Handheld Blower | 07' Little Wonder Push Blower

Two Years In The Business, More to Come

Tags
n'at!