Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-03-2014, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So have all of you started cutting every other week now that September is here?

I picked up a new client about 4 weeks back. Last week she texted me saying I could "skip it this week".
WTF?

I called and had a chat. I told her I'd skip it this one time, but I had driven by to look and it was indeed "ready for a cut".
She told me that they had always "cut back" starting in September "because the grass slows down then and only needs cut every other week."
"That's what all the lawn guys do" she said.

Looks like she will be looking for another service in the spring. I'll finish the season to avoid making "waves" since she's one of those who could potentially leave a bad review for me, but I'm not happy that I took on a client who after 3 weeks has cut my income in half for said job. Especially after I took her on and declined someone else based on having only one spot open in that area.

I go do her cut tomorrow. If it's high I'm gonna be
Old 09-03-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I skipped one on Tuesday, and again today. I expect one more to be put on EOW next week. But, after that, I see no more. All those in question are scrappy, no fert. Most of ther rest continue to grow like gangbusters. Saying "cutting back after Labor Day" as the norm is faulty reasoning in 2014. We just had another 1.3" rain on Sunday. The ground is wet again, so I expect most will continue to grow pretty well. The days are getting lots shorter, and the available daylight will have an impact.

Most people, customers and the public at large who are not active in their yards, do not understand that 2014 is different than most years. When I tell them about "full out" workload, I only get blank stares, followed by, "Don't you slow down in the Summer?" It is the garage door syndrome -- push button, door goes up, drive out, push button, door goes down, .... push button, door goes up, drive in, push button door goes down, ... and the cycle repeats itself. They have little clue about what is happening outside, even the fact that August had green grass, and was not burned out.

Some properties now have early leaf drop -- e.g. walnut, elms.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post

I picked up a new client about 4 weeks back. Last week she texted me saying I could "skip it this week".
WTF?

I called and had a chat. I told her I'd skip it this one time, but I had driven by to look and it was indeed "ready for a cut".
She told me that they had always "cut back" starting in September "because the grass slows down then and only needs cut every other week."

Looks like she will be looking for another service in the spring. I'll finish the season to avoid making "waves" since she's one of those who could potentially leave a bad review for me, but I'm not happy that I took on a client who after 3 weeks has cut my income in half for said job. Especially after I took her on and declined someone else based on having only one spot open in that area.

Some are skipped and some aren't. Depends on growth.

The subject of eow should be established at the time you agree to take the job and then the eow issue won't be an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2014, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Some are skipped and some aren't. Depends on growth.

The subject of eow should be established at the time you agree to take the job and then the eow issue won't be an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

The "subject" was weekly cuts.

I can't complain too much because this is the first person in five years to pull this crap. I mean I've had a few ask to skip, but that was when it was warranted and not based upon some made up factoid about the grass not growing at some predetermined date on a calendar.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've moved a few to EOW simply because the growth isn't there and let's be honest... I could save the 20 minutes per lawn and use it on other things.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2014, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

WTF?

Funny part is most of the time I'm weekly cutting through the end of September then space it out in October, 10-14 days to account for serious leaf clean ups. I'll cut right into December if it's warm enough, people think the season goes April to October.

Bump that, I always hope for no snow first week of December to finish up clean ups.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2014, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Oh sure, I get that all the time - "You can stop October 1st - it doesn't grow any more."

ORLY???
Translation: I'm tired of paying and this is the perfect excuse.

But I've NEVER heard anyone say that about SEPTEMBER. And it wasn't even September yet - it was still AUGUST.

Interesting Factoid: She was paying some hack $25 and she's paying me $40. NOW tell me why she says it only needs cut every other week.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Oh sure, I get that all the time - "You can stop October 1st - it doesn't grow any more."

ORLY???
Translation: I'm tired of paying and this is the perfect excuse.

But I've NEVER heard anyone say that about SEPTEMBER. And it wasn't even September yet - it was still AUGUST.

Interesting Factoid: She was paying some hack $25 and she's paying me $40. NOW tell me why she says it only needs cut every other week.
Well that might explain it, too bad. Want good service? Pay good money. It doesn't come cheap, not from me anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2014, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The "subject" was weekly cuts.

I can't complain too much because this is the first person in five years to pull this crap. I mean I've had a few ask to skip, but that was when it was warranted and not based upon some made up factoid about the grass not growing at some predetermined date on a calendar.
Sounds like she missed that subject and had it all figured out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, she "understood" when she saw the grass continue to get higher over the last week.
"You can go ahead and cut it weekly until October", she said today when I arrived to mow after two weeks.

Then it was the whole list of excuses... "Well, I think that little bit of rain must have made it really shoot up." You know the story - we've all heard it before.

We'll see how it goes.

On a related note, I voluntarily skipped a cut today that didn't need cut and I set up an "Ala Carte" menu for a customer with a bizarre lawn that is mostly dried up in the front, yet the back grows like mad - gonna just cut the back at a reduced rate and then cut the front when needed. Normally this would be a bad deal, but it's adjacent to another client and I cut both their back lawns in big, continuous passes back, and forth between the two, so there's no travel/unload time. Better than having them say it doesn't need cut at all.

It's really a coin toss with people. I picked up a new client last week (first cut tomorrow) and she said "The front sometimes dries up completely when it gets dry, but we still want you to mow just the back and we'll pay you the full price!"
Amazing.

Tags
n'at!