Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake 'n Bake View Post
Not sure if this Pear tree is done but Shemins has a constant sale on 2-2 1/2" Bradfords for $95. Been that price for a couple of years now. I'm sure you could find one out of the large bunch they have that is every bit of 2 1/2". Not a bad price considering most of their stuff is kind of pricey.
That is a good price. I'll give them a call and see what they can do for a 3" Cleveland.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 06-06-2011, 04:50 AM
LawnSite Member

After reading through a bit of this thread it leads me to three thoughts:

1. I put my location as Pittsburgh because I didnt really think there'd be anyone from the area. As it turns out there are. Should change that to Wexford.

2. We mainly do new construction landscaping and quite a bit of it is at these new patio home villages full of *ahem* "retired people". As soon as we pull in, they come out and surround the truck. It's like night of the living dead. lol One will have a bare spot in her lawn that we just seeded two months ago, another will have a dead plant that's past its warranty, one lady accused us of planting crab grass seeds and told us to be ashamed of ourselves, and on, and on...
So my question is, is it the same way with mowing? When I start on my own I'm staying clear of those places all together.

I hope none of you guys have to deal with pulling a trailer on 51. Instead of putting down the beer and getting out of his chair to do a few bids to get local work, it's easier for my boss to just send us to South Hills for a low-paying, pain in the ass builder. So far this year we've dealt with; a water main break (1 hour from Lebanon Church road area of 51 to Liberty Tubes),a tarp getting caught in the trailer axle and locking up the one wheel blowing the tire and the cab filling with smoke as the truck almost caught fire. I hate those longer hauls, especially 51.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where I work, we do all commercial and HOA. The people that complain, mostly older folk at a couple retirement communities we maintain, don't sign our contract. As long as the property managers are happy, we don't listen to HOA resident complaints. I mean, we're courteous, but if somebody tells us to do something, 99% of the time we just tell them no. It's really nice actually.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just tripped over this thread, mostly thanks to a link one of you guys have on your signature line that I saw in another thread. I had planned to read the whole thread before I said hello but Rake & Bakes comment about pulling a trailer on 51 made me laugh. I think most guys in other areas don't realize what we can go through pulling trailers around the Burgh with our hills, narrow streets and driveways we have to get into that were built when the Model T was the car of choice. I will touch on some of my trailer escapades in a sec but will introduce myself since this is my first post in this thread.

I am based in Beaver Falls and have two parts of my business. One part is we manufacture equipment, hydroseeders, turf sprayers, compost tea sprayers, straw blowers etc. The other part, which is where I spend my time when its not snowing is that we are a hydroseeding contractor. We are also one of the newer LawnSite sponsers I will add. Personally even though I own the business I enjoy spending my time hydroseeding. I like playing with my machines and enjoy giviing someone a beautiful lawn so they can hire you guys to cut it. Even though we are North East of Pittsburgh I seed as far as New Stanton and Little Washington.

I will agree pulling a trailer in some of the places we have to go can be a real bummer. Friday I had a small job in the Observitory Hill area that was about 5 minutes worth of work and I spent 15 mintues trying to get into a driveway that was about 2" wider than the width of my truck tires. Once I got in, the lady there suggested I pull back out and back my trailer in so I would be closer to her back yard. I almost cracked up. There is no way I would have wanted to redo that and back in. I recall one last year when I did something really stupid. I thought I was smarter than my GPS and had confused two jobs. When I finally decided to trust my GPS it took me up some narrow road that looked like a battle zone from WWII. I was going up this steep hill for about a half mile or more dodging pot holes that would have swollowed my truck. After about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile of that I get to a barrier and the road is closed, then I had to back down it. I don't think I was ever happer then when I got off that road without damaging my truck. Then there was the onl last year North of Pittsburgh, I was pulling a little bigger machine than usual, loaded of course, following my GPS and found myself going down a hill that was almost straight up and down with a stop sign at the bottom. I have good brakes on my truck and trailer but there was no way they were up for that and if there had been anyone coming as I went thought that stop sign there is no way I could have stopped. I did just have a minor episode on 51 south a few weeks ago was well. Pittsburgh roads do make life interesting.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for chiming in

I went to school at Geneva; I'm sure I probably saw a few of you trucks on 18 the last 5 years.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the thanks. I went to Geneva as well but it was ages and ages ago. Good school though.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey turboguy, I agree driving around here is nuts I only have a 6ft wide trailer plus the fenders so about 7.5 and there have been many streets where I have had and inch on each side. Latest episode I had was about 3 weeks ago going up a tight hill with a left turn there was traffic in the other lane and one car was over the yellow lines a hair I came to a near stop and here didn't want to pull forward and turn his wheels a bit or just wasn't paying attention and my bp blower on the rack was too much I rubbed his mirror a little and kept going lol. But man some of the streets hills and brick roads around here are nuts especially when plowing!! On another note I stay off of 51 and 28 as much as i can those are the 2 roads I hate the most.

Can you either post or PM me you name and number. I maybe had 2 requests for hydro seeding in the past 3 years and never had anyone to refer to. But you seem like you got quite the operation so If I or my clients ever need anything done I will refer or call you.
-Brad
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 06-08-2011, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Brad,

Yes, the roads are something else. I was down giving an estimate for a small job today on Brookline Blvd off 51 S and the way my GPS brought me back I was very happy I was not pulling a trailer today. It was basically a one lane road with traffic both ways and getting out of the way to let someone through was really tough without a trailer. When I do that job I am definately coming back a different way.

I will PM you with my contact info. I appreciate that and I do try to do good work at a fair price. If I can ever send any business your way I will.

Ray
Old 06-08-2011, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
Thanks for the thanks. I went to Geneva as well but it was ages and ages ago. Good school though.
That's cool man. Small world. I really enjoyed my time at Geneva. I kinda miss it actually.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed, the roads suck around here. I had a trailer tire blow out on me yesterday after I hit a pothole. Lesson learned, I will now be carrying a spare trailer tire. Good news though, once they finish RT. 8, it should be alot smoother ride.

Tags
n'at!