Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-12-2012, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
What's the word on the street for a target date for first mowing for 2012 in SW PA?

I always look to the last day of March, or April 1. I've seen many seasons come and go, and the start date usually doesn't change much. But, I'm seeing things come to life this past week. I sense that we may be a few days early this season.

What do others think?
I'm going to shoot for Monday April 2nd but could be sooner if this warm trend continues!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Just picked up my first commercial mower.

Ferris 36" Comfort Control DD hydro...

Bring on the grass!
Nice mower there OakNut!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I just ran my fingers over one of these a couple of days ago. If I was in the market for a new 36" hydro mower, this one would be near the top to consider. I liked what I saw.

Let us know your experiences with this mower.

Where did you buy?
Due to dealer/servicing convenience, I narrowed my choices down to Toro, Exmark, or Ferris. I wanted a floating deck hydro and Toro doesn't offer a hydro until you get to a 48" deck, so that got ruled out.

I got this at Norwin Rental during their open house and this one was marked down from $4,999 sale price (I had been in previously) to a $4,750 "this unit only" show price. If that one had sold to someone else and I wanted to order one, the price would have been $5,200. (show pricing)

The comparable Exmark (Turf Tracer S-Series) was not in stock, but show price was $5,300.

I had previously set a limit of $5,000 for what I would spend, so while the controls appear more user friendly on the Exmark, the Ferris was in my price range.
Also, I liked that the Ferris has electric start where the Exmark did not (only avail on 20hp models), and more importantly, I like that the Ferris has an infinitely adjustable deck raised and lowered with cranks on the deck rather than using washers, or pins.

I was a little upset after the purchase when I discovered that it was manufactured in 2008/2009, but after speaking with Ferris, I learned that the only difference between this and current models is that they have discontinued the "electronic sensor-grip operator presence system" - mine has it, as I found out by accident. The dealer stated that they purchased this unit "before the price increase in January".
Anyway, I now have a brand new commercial grade mower that should serve me well for some time. I've got some more practicing to do, as this is the first I've operated a walk behind, and the controls take some getting used to, but I don't think it's going to be an issue.

BTW, if anyone in the east is looking, Penn Hills Rental is having their open house on 3/23/12 if I'm not mistaken. Show pricing and 10% off everything.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those Ferris mowers seem pretty nice...I like those pistol grips.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Just picked up my first commercial mower.

Ferris 36" Comfort Control DD hydro...

Bring on the grass!
Nice mower!!
Quote:
What's the word on the street for a target date for first mowing for 2012 in SW PA?

I always look to the last day of March, or April 1. I've seen many seasons come and go, and the start date usually doesn't change much. But, I'm seeing things come to life this past week. I sense that we may be a few days early this season.

What do others think?
I am mowing one on wednesday. then i am hoping to do a few next weekend then a full schedule the week after
1999 F350 Superduty
2002 6x12 Single Axle Landscaping Trailer
1998 6.5x16 Landscape trailer
2013 7x16 Quality Equipment Trailer
1994 5x8 Lone Wolf Trailer

Exmark, Snapper, Ferris, Encore, Billy Goat, Honda, Echo, Stihl, Husky, and Ryan

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=344647
http://www.mcginnlandscaping.com
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/McG...30091293747444
Old 03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

I didn't think I'd be getting one of these for another year or two.
I made it through last season with a Toro Super Recycler that I picked up new at the start of the season.

It certainly doesn't look like THAT ^ anymore! LOL!

I was initially hoping to find a decent used walk behind, but don't have the funds to pay a private seller in cash, so I ended up buying new since I can make payments with 0% financing for 3 years.

Most of my other handheld equipment has been upgraded to commercial stuff, but this is my first commercial mower. I think I'm now ready to take on those procrastinators who wait until the end of April to call about getting their lawns cut.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm ready to cut some grass. I got rid of my 36 so i'm down to one mower this year. Hoping to acquire some more equipment including at least a 1500 this year maybe a bigger trailer and maybe a 60 inch turf tracer. I might get an llc this year aswell, a whole lot of maybes and i hopes.

GM Trucks
Belmont Trailers
Gravely
Honda
Stihl
GiantVac
Lesco
Ryan
Permagreen
Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If anybody's looking for a 16' trailer this year, mine will be for sale within a couple week...I just need to brighten it up a little bit this weekend.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 03-12-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like might be the first week of april to start mowing we will see
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 03-12-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oaknut, you will love that Ferris. I have a 48" ferris which was my main mower for a few years. It is now a backup to my Grandstand. Ferris makes a nice machine, if they made a stander I would buy one.

Looking to start mowing April 2nd. Last year I did not start until April 14th. This will be nice to bill out a full month right from the start. Equipment is ready to go and everything is ready on the business side. I just have to mentally prepare myself for the grind of another season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
n'at!