Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Barnes View Post
Anyone still mowing grass or did everyone go on vacation?
I am preparing to go out tomorrow. But, how many I cut, ... unknown. I expect that most will be skips.

The sad part of that is that I got an extra job for vacation cover next to one of my customers. However, I am 99% sure that it will not need cutting either. The homeowner is gone for two weeks, and they wanted one cut in the middle of their time away. I was looking forward to this task, hoping it would turn into a full-time gig.

I am expecting lots of short days this week.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya the grass is growing about as fast as it normally does in the middle of January.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Barnes View Post
Ya the grass is growing about as fast as it normally does in the middle of January.
Cripes, it's snowing about as much as it did in January.

This is like winter with a new snowthrower and no snow all over again.

I have essentially no work this week.

I guess I'll wax the Ferris.

And no, that's not "code" for something unmentionable - I really mean WAX the Ferris.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

(crickets chirping)

Where is everyone? Did everyone keel over from heat exhaustion?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Alive and well, not as rich as I would like after all the skipping of mowing the past two weeks.

Any rain your way? We got some sprinkles for a couple hours this morning, but did not amount to anything useful. Over the next day, or two, we might get some. I saw some maps that show 0.50 to 1.00 inch. Yea!!
Old 07-14-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Still plugging along, light load these days but trying to stay busy with equipment maintenance and shop stuff. Hopefully we get some serious rain!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I finally got a chance to do two hedge trims today, and it started raining on my way to the first one. No complaints though - we need it.

I looked at the radar on my phone and saw it was going to pass, so I stopped somewhere to kill some time and wait for the rain to stop.
As luck would have it, they had a Toro Super Recycler on clearance for $499.
I tried calling my dealer to see what his best price would be on one since I prefer to keep my business there, but I couldn't get him on the phone.

They've have two sitting at my dealer with clearance tags on them with "$599" written on them. ORLY? The MSRP is "clearance" pricing? Ummm... I don't think so. I figured I'd see what he'd do for me since he's always given me good pricing on my other equipment, but I doubt he'd have gone to $500, and since I couldn't get him on the phone, and I didn't want to miss out on the deal at the other place, I went ahead and picked it up.

I can't find them anywhere online (just for researching price - not wild about buying something like this online) for less than $550, with most being around $580, so I thought it was a good price.

I've been happy with my current SR4 and had been thinking of getting another and making the old one a backup. The price just made me do it sooner than later. The only difference between them is that my old one has the Briggs engine and the new one has the Honda engine. It would have been nice to have complete interchangeability between the two in an emergency, but what'cha gonna do.

I know it's not a commercial mower, but if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you where I got it. (near Monroeville) They have one left at that price.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up a super recycler a few months ago. A very capable trim mower, very fast and agile. I wanted a commercial pushmower, but they all were too heavy to be throwing it in the back of the pick up. The mower has held very well so far. Transporting in the pick up instead of the trailer made a huge difference. With my previous pushmowers, they seemed to get more beat up from strapping them down on the trailer than actually mowing with them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2012, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Toro Super Recycler (SR4) model 20382

Fresh out of the box and ready to go home with me.

This one (model 20382) has the Honda GVC160 engine as opposed to the Briggs on my older (model 20092) one, or the Chinese-made "Toro" engine on the other current model 20381.

Side by side with my other Toro...

Gonna have to rethink which direction I mow my hillsides now since the air filter is on the "wrong" side. LOL

I am debating putting an hour meter on this one. I sort of wish I had put one on the original so I could see just how much it has been used. Seems sort of silly for a push mower, but still, it would make oil changes easier to keep track of.

Gotta get some wax on there today.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Rain, glorious RAIN!!!

What a joy it was to get soaked today!

Rejoice!

Maybe waxing the Toro did the trick?

Tags
n'at!