Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-11-2000, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My name is John,we are asnow plowing co.which originally started out as a lawn maintenance and plowing co.After 3 years in this bussiness i changed our focus to snowplowing and have had great success in the snow plow business.We are located in Poughkeepsie New York in Dutchess county about 80 miles north of NYC.We sell sand and salt to contractors out of our 8000sq ft warehouse where we can house 200 tons of material inside.Our equipment consists of the following 1987 1 ton with a permenantly mounted 98 Henniker sander,96 FORD 545 tractor,97JCB 409 loader,99 JCB 426 loader,99FORD350 with Henniker v-plow,2000 F-350 with a Fisher 9ft plow and Downeaster sander,90 4400 I NTERNATIONAL dump with a Harder spreader and 10ft Western plow,4 John Deere snowblowers 10hp with 32&quot;cut,Woods mowin machine with cab and plow blade,Suzuki 500 quad with plow blade,2 leased 914 Cat loaders,4 Protect pusher boxes 12 to 16 ft lengths,and a pant load of snow shovels.<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200
Old 02-13-2000, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a Lawn Care Foreman on Long Island, NY.<br>We use 5 walker GHS riders<br>2 bobcat 36&quot; walkbehinds<br>4 snapper trim mowers<br>Echo weedeaters and backpacks<br>giant vac ground blowers<br>Ryan overseeders and areators
Old 02-13-2000, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I am 15 years old and i live in northern New Jersey. I have been cutting grass and doing cleanups since i was like 13 or so. I have been shoveling snow since like 11. This year my friend who is 17 got a '95 dodge 2500 v8 with a meyer plow on it, so I have been plowing with him this year. I just blow the walks and touch up, we do about 20 drives. My equipment consists of-<br>'94 scag 36 inch belt drive w/14hp kohler<br>'99 Stihl br400 backpack<br>'87 Echo pb 400 e backpack<br>'87 Stihl String trimmer<br>'80 something little wonder wheel blower.<br>We put a '76 meyer plow blade on the Dodge because the truck didnt come with a blade when he bought it, so my father had it aroud so we gave it to him. It has plowed strong so far knock on wood.
Old 02-14-2000, 12:18 PM
pro cut

I had to get my two cents in also.Im from a small town in Wyoming.I just started my lawn co. last summer with the last 50 bucks I had and no equipment except 1985 chevy 1/2 ton and a 8x8 sled trailer.I barrowed my freinds mower and trimmer to get the jobs done.Two months later and Gods help, I had a comercial snapper aluminium deck,Two Homlite straight shaft trimmer,3.5 B.S power edger,Homelite blower,and various hand tools.I currently have 60 accounts 50% commercial 50% residental. I have that same freind help me mow.I have discoverd that in small towns like this one (50,000 people)its not exactly what you know but who you know. Born and raised here I know a few people.I try to just stick with just lawn mowing and avoid the clean-ups.This next summer I will have my aplicators lic. so I will Fert. to be more full service for my customers.Im going to purchase some new equipment this year also( areator, dethacher, leaf vacumm ).I worked full time last summer mowing lawns.I enjoy the work and it gives me time to think.<br> I'm 27 years old and an electrician by trade but burned out on making money for other people and would rather make money for myself.I have a very supportive girl freind of 5 years and we just bought a new house, no kids just a dog.<p>Good luck to all ,
Old 02-19-2000, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

My name is Jake I am 18 and from Fl I have been mowing for 8 years now after school my dad drove me around and showed me how to high quality work I will graduate this year and plan on going full time this year scince I am known in the mowing profesion I mow about 20 yards could do more but like the free time while I have it. Right now I am just mow but plan on going to a community college so I can keep my buisiness going, to take up landscape architecture and maintance so I know a little more and can give a professional answer when someone ask me a question. In the next few years I plan on changing my clintel to commercial and high end residential only. My equipment consist of:<p>99' Toro 44&quot; 17hp ZTR<br>echo power pruner<br>echo chainsaw<br>5 gal sprayer<br>85 k/10<br>gravely 36&quot; WB<br>sthil fs85 trimmer<br>sthil edger<br>echo hedge trimmer<br>echo handheld blower<br>troybilt leaf vac<br>echo chain saw<br>honda 21&quot; commercial<br>snapper 42&quot; 16hp rear engine rider(for leaf)<br>5x12 trailer<br>Sthil HS45 hedge trimmer<br>Lawnboy 21&quot; mulching mower<p>Exquisite Lawn Services<p><br>Eric asked us to tell what we started out with so here it is I started out with my dads 21&quot; honda and a craftsman edger thats it. <p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: snake1040<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: snake1040
Old 02-20-2000, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

My name is mark, i have been in buisness for 8 years. I own the company with my younger brother.(im 31 he's 28) Our first year in we grossed aprox.$12000.00. I have learned alot since then. I don't think I know everything about this buisness (and don't think any one person ever will)But im more than happy to share anything i can. Why? Because the sooner people are on the same page(pricing, quality ect.) the nicer life all of us will have. If i can help you have a higher profit, i am really allowing myself to have a higher profit. That 12000.00 is now 350,000.00.(im not bragging, I know i have been very blessed)I have been helped by many companies in my area and 1 piece of advice when viewing this forum: Read it all, then THINK, none of us are GOD, take all advice with a grain: there is alot of good advice here but remember what works for one might not work for another. This forum is GREAT!!!! I wish it was here when i started but it wasnt so i will help where I can. If anyone want's to talk 1v1 <br>smusolf@home.com<br>equipment<br>2000 (1) dixie chopper 60&quot; 25hp<br>1999 (1) dixie chopper 60&quot; 25hp<br>1998 (3) dixie chopper 60&quot; 25hp<br>1997 (1) dixie chopper 60&quot; 22hp<br>2000 (3) toro walkbehind 52&quot; 16hp (sold all the old ones)<br>year unknown Kubota 22hp diesel (for snow removal only)<br>1995 kubota 18hp 60&quot; (for sale, not used in 3 years!!)<br>1993 trac vac 11hp (leaves)<br>echo trimmers srm2100 thru 3000<br>echo blowers<br>stihl blowers (blower of choice for me now)<br>stilh chainsaw (1995?)<br>meyer plows (3)<br>toro single stage 5hp snow throwers(changing over to 2 stage next year)<br>(3) 18' open trailers<br>(1) 10' open trailer<br>diesel dump (1)<br>chevy 1500 PU (2)<br>ford 150 PU (2)<br>echo pole hedge trimmer (1) (great investent for those wide and tall shrubs!)<br>air compressor (a must !!)<br>numerous dead equipment (but great for parts)<br> Mark A Musolf<br> MJM Lawn & Landscaping Inc.
Old 02-21-2000, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my name is chris<br>my company name is cjc landscape management<br>i am located in central florida(winter haven)<br>my equipment:<br>mower snapper 48&quot; hydro wb/with velke<br>edger and weedeater shindaiwa t230 and te230<br>blower. red max back pack<br>trimmers tanaka(i know, its all i could afford at the time)<br>chainsaw mac.<br>hand sprayer<br>hand spreader<br>trailer 8x12<br>truck '91 ford explorer 4x4<p>
Old 02-23-2000, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello to all:<br>Ny name is Ken and I live in N.E. Philadelphia I just mow on weekends(afraid to leave the security of Day job) I have four children 2 at home and 2 on their own. The two at home are still in school one in College the other a seinor in High School. I need the insurance from day job for them still, but I love to maintain lawns. <br>I have <br>1987 Dodge Ramcharger 4+4<br>5+9 Trailer<br>2-21&quot; Lawn-Boys<br>2- Homelite Trimmers<br>1-Homelite Hand Held Blower<br>1-Eoch Trimmer<br>1-Stilh Chain Saw<br>1-Weedeater Hedge Trimmer<br>1-Honda 22&quot; Single Stage Snow Thrower<br>1-Troy-Bilt 30&quot; Two Stage Snow Thrower<br>and various hand tools.<br>This year I plan to buy a 36&quot; Exmark Metro HP<br>and a Lesco Trimmer (the Dealer told me they were built by the same company that was building Stilh's). probally in 2001 I will go and take the BIG step and go full time.<br>I have 15 Resindential's and one Commercial.<br>I really enjoy this Forum<br>Ken<br>Lightcap's Landscape Service <br>
Old 02-24-2000, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

HI, MY NAME IS RON I STARTED MY BUSINESS IN 1974 AND HAVE GROWN EVERY SINCE HAVE PLAYE WITH EVEY KIND OF EQUIPMENT IN THE SNOW AND LAWNCARE BUSINESS. WE MAINTAIN OVER 70 COMMERCIAL SNOW ACCOUNTS, SHOPPING CENTERS LOCAL AIRPORT AND SCHOOL SYSTEMS AND DO CONDO DRIVES TO CALL INS. IN THE SUMMER WE MOW SEVERAL LARGE COMM. ACCOUNTS 500 ACRES PLUS PER WEEK. THE FOLLOWING EQUIP IS WHAT WE CURRENTLY USE.4 1999 EX-MARK LAZERS 2 72&quot; 2 60&quot; 970 4WD. JD.W BUSCHHOG, RYAN AIREATOR 72&quot; ALL STHILL WEED TRIMERS AND BLOWERS TORO PUSH MOWERS 8 GM TRUCKS ALL WITH 8.5' WESTERN PLOWS 3 NEW 2001 MODEL DODGE 1 TONS W 9'2&quot; boss vs and 2 INT. 1900S SERIES W 12' PLOWS. WE USE A 922 CAT LOADER ALSO FOR SUMMER USE ON ALL THE ATHLETIC FIELDS WE USE GANDY DROP SPREADERS 72&quot; AND THEN IN ALL OF OUR SPARE TIME WE RUN A PARKING LOT SWEEPER 4-5 NIGHTS PER WEEK YEAR AROUND FROM WABASH IN.
Old 02-24-2000, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi, I'm Foster Iversen and I live in Chamberlain, SD. I am a groundskeeper for St. Joseph's Indian School by day and for myself at nite. My business is called Wild Hare Gardens. Started out growing and selling dried flowers and quickly found out that there is no money in that! Bought a tree sprayer and made some money. Not too many people or trees in SD! Last year, I got my first truckload of trees in to sell. Was nerve racking for me but they all sold. Purchased a polaris atv and started spraying weeds with it and that part is taking off. So far, the most profitable. Purchased 3 truckloads of trees this year, a digital camera and a imaging program and then got cold feet. Just too much to do and keep a 'real job' at the same time. Canceled all but one load, returned the design program (designing is hell for me, can never make up my mind) and gonna concentrate on weed spraying. The rate around here is $50-75/hr for spot spraying. <br>Equipment so far:<br> 1992 ford heavy half w/flatbed<br>old pickup box trailer<br>225 gal high pressure sprayer(8hp honda, udor pump)<br>EZ dig digger skid steer attachment<br>1999 Polaris 500 ATV<br>Jackrabbit sprayer on the ATV w/boombuster nozzles<br>single axle trailer 20' w/225 gal nurse tank<br>Really enjoy this forum.. by far the best I have seen so far. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.