Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-19-2000, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey all-<br>time to post after Eric's plea to the rest of us.<br>Owner & operator of The Yard Smith Lawn & Outdoor Services. Age is 31. (I feel old saying that) Been in bus. since spring of '94. Worked part time, with avg. of 25-28 accts. max that we could keep properly maintained with equip. we had. Had a full time job 'on the side' as a machinist/ tool & die type of work. Considered getting more schooling & get a Journeyman's card, but around here that'll only get you $15-18 an hour. I was already doubling that part time in lawn care! This is our first year full time!<br>Located in North Central Ohio, between Cleveland & Columbus. <br>Equipment as follows:<p>87 Chevy Silverado 4x4 1/2 ton beefed up & Meyer's 7' plow<br>79 Chevy 1/2 T short/flat bed with older Boss V-plow (winter beater)<br>Buyers salt spreader<br>20 ft. Tandem axle H&H trailer with 2 gates-rear & side<br>99 Bobcat ZT200 25hp 61&quot; cut<br>Steiner 220 20hp 60&quot; cut<br>Honda 13hp 48&quot; Hydro WB w/ Lesco-Cub Cadet sulky<br>Honda 21&quot; comm. push mower<br>The above mowers are what goes out with me each day; other mowers are in storage (locked up tight);<br>Simplicity ZTR 16hp 54&quot; cut (FOR SALE!)<br>Another Honda hydro WB 13hp 48&quot; cut (FOR SALE!)<br>Simplicity Sun Runner 8hp 36&quot; cut with bagger-MINT! (FOR SALE!)<br>2-Yard man &quot;commercial&quot; push mowers-held up good for me<br>misc. 1 or 2 push mowers for add. backup<br>Stihl FS85 weedeater/brushcutter<br>Stihl FS75 dedicated tall weed cutter<br>Stihl BG75 hand blower<br>Echo pb1000 blower (old/backup)<br>Stihl HS86 hedge trimmer from h*ll<br>Lots of rakes, shovels, hand pruners, wheelbarrows, spreaders, etc.<p>WE STARTED OUT WITH:<br>1985 toyota 2wd pickup with (in the back):<br>10 hp Ariens rear engine rider/30&quot; cut Forrest gump style mower<br>older 22&quot; PUSH mower<br>used & abused Homelite curved shaft weedeater<br>used Echo pb1000 leaf blower-we were really big time once we got a leaf blower! <p><br>We do about a 60-40 mix- 60% res./ 40% comm., & always looking for more good properties. <br>Tend to specialize in mowing; also provide annual landscape renovations & spring cleanups to customers & new/ one timers also.<br>Trying to get my route down to a smaller geographic circle; may take awhile, as I can't get the right people to call all the time.<br>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<p><p><p><p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: yardsmith<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: yardsmith
Old 04-20-2000, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

HEY THERE .. IM RICK FROM STATEN ISLAND NY..IM A NYC POLICE OFFICER ..SO SINCE THEY DONT PAY US ENUF I HAD TO WORK A FEW EXTRA JOBS.. I STARTED CUTTING GRASS FOR SOME COMPANY 5 YEARS AGO AND FELL IN LOVE WITH IT ..I FINALLY WENT MY OWN WAY AND HAVE ABOUT 50 CUSTOMERS ALL RESIDENTIAL.. I RETIRE IN 5 YEARS AND I FOUND WHAT I WANT TO DO AFTERWARDS... I AM LOOKING FOR SCHOOLS IN MY AREA AND AM TRYING TO LEARN AS MUCH AS I CAN ABOUT THIS WONDERFUL SUBJECT.... YES I KNOW I SOUND CORNY BUT I DONT WANNA CHASE PEOPLE ANYMORE......<br>MY EQUIPMENT IS <br>1987 GMC FULLSIZE JIMMY WITH 71/2 MEYERS PLOW<br>1989 CHEVY VAN G10 <br>1-10 FT TRAILER <br>2- LAWNBOYS 21 INCHERS<br>1-MCCLAIN EDGER<br>2-BACKPACK BLOWERS REDMAX AND SHADAWIA<br>1-ECHO TRIMMER<br>1-BILLY GOAT DETHATCHER WHICH I LOVE<br>1-SEARS 26 INCH TRAC SNOW THROWER<br>MANY MANY SMALL TOLS ....<p>HOPE TO EXPAND TO BIGGER AND BETTER THINGS ....
Old 04-22-2000, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I am in Brooksville Florida, my name is chris, and I own a small lawn and landscape maintenance company called Eagle Lawn Services. <br>The truck is a '97 dodge ram 2500 diesel (love the truck)<br>My mower is a Howard Price 360Z and a 36&quot; bobcat for backyards.<br>Blowers are Shindaiwa as is the edger.<br>Weedeater, hedgetrimmers, and chainsaw are all Stihl. I will be moving everything to stihl equipment as it needs replacing.<br>I use a 16' trailer with 4'sides,it is a tandem axle.<br>Our services include, mowing, edging, weedeating, blowdown, hedges, palm trimming, roundup, landscape installs, cleanups and hauling, and fertilizing.<br>I have about 50 accounts currently although we are growing rapidly. I just moved here from a hundred miles south of here. I am looking to rebuild my business locally to around two hundred or so.
Old 04-24-2000, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I am Jonathan and my partner, Lawnforce2 is Anthony. We started up about a year and a half ago after my partner told me I needed to get out more. We are semi-fulltime. We are in Knoxville, Tn. <p>We started out with a five thousand dollar loan from family members.<p>We started with:<br>'52 Scag Zero Turn WB<br>'48 JD belt wb<br>Murray 22 pusher <br>McCullUGH trimmer<br>6X10 unknown brand trailer <br>'72 Chevy C10 (inline 6 with that damn column shift)<p>We have added:<br>2 RedMax 6200 blowers<br>3 Honda 4 stroke trimmers<br>1988 Ford F-250 4X4<br>2 Solo backpack sprayers<br>Bunch of misc. tools (pitchforks, shovels, spades)<br>2 Jungle Wheels (we don't ride unless we are pinched for time)<p>We started out with four accounts and now have well over 50. <p>We do mostly commercial and are looking for ways to get more bids. <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: lawnforce1
Old 04-25-2000, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

We are in Sullivan County NY, the southern part of the Catskills. Service about 55-60 accounts, 95% residential. 6 month season may-oct, get about 23 cuts out the the &quot;weekly&quot; accounts, things slow down alot after the dry part of the season and when the colder weather moves in after Labor Day.<br>Equipment:<br>1994 Ford F-150 302v8, 2wd, auto, AC!<br>14'x6.5' tandem axle landscape trailer<br>12'x6.5' single axle landscape trailer<br>1999 SCAG Turf Tiger 61&quot; 25hp kohler<br>1998 SCAG 48&quot; belt drive w/ 17hp kawi<br>shindaiwa t-230 trimmer<br>husky 225RJ trimmer (just expired)<br>husky back pack blower<br>husky hedge trimmer<br>husky chain saw model 272xp <br>husky chain saw model 41 or 42, i4got<br>husky sucks<br>homelite 25cc blower (5yrs old and still kick'n)<br>Billy Goat HTR 16hp Leaf Loader (get one!!)<br>2&quot; Honda water pump w/ all the extras<br>2000 psi pressure washer 5.5hp Honda,CAT pump<br>10'x20' portable garage, to keep the mowers out of the weather during the mowing season<br>just in:<br>RedMax EB6200 back pack blower<br>RedMax(strato charged)trimmer<br>RedMax CHT2300 30&quot; hedge trimmer<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: TylerAssociatesLLC
Old 04-26-2000, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Member

My name is Adam and I live in Clovis, NM. I started in lawn care 6 years ago and have enjoyed expanding, however I am also a Weather Forecaster in the Air Force so moving from OKC has dampened the expansion. I haven't ran into much problem getting business in this area. In fact I go to church with one of the local lawn companies owner. He has passed on some jobs that he says he doesn't have time for. Still, they are pretty good, pay that it is. I will part the Air Force in 2003 and plan on trying to go full time with Lawn Care. I am still working on educating myself and getting better equipment. I have one guy that helps me. I have 41 accounts and during the summer when business is good I find it hard to have any free time.<p>My equipment is:<p>2000 John Deere 48&quot;(just replaced a 1994)<br>1996 Craftsman 22&quot;(hope to get rid of it this year as well)<br>1998 Stihl Trimmer & edger<br>1998 Ryobi Trimmer<br>1998 Ryobi Blower<br>1977 5x15 Trailer(good shape but needs paint)<br>1998 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab with 8' bed<p>Let me just add that I certainly have a long way to go to get as good as the rest of you. I appreciate all the forums though I don't post alot, I still learn.<br> <br>Thanks,<p>Adam
Old 04-26-2000, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ill just copy what I posted previously at the Hall of Forums:<p>&quot;Posted by thelawnguy on Aug-25-99 at 03:42 PM (EST) I work full-time by myself, seven years now, and mow 60 lawns a week, with 25 driveways in winter and a 2-acre Industrial Park parking lot. Formerly spent 8 years as a Manager for a new-car dealer. Tired of 12-hour days seven days a week. I have a 95 Dodge 2500 4x4 with 8 foot Fisher plow and a small tailgate sander, a 5x10 trailer with custom enclosed 24 inch side panels. I use, in no particular order, a 52-inch Turf Tracer with mulcher, a 38-inch John Deere with bagger, a 21-inch Lawnboy, Billy Goat 8 hp blower, Echo handheld blower, Stihl stick trimmer, Husky 41 chainsaw, two Echo HC2000 hedge trimmers, a Simplicity 8-28 snowblower and a toro CCR2500 blower. Also a myriad of<br>handtools, ladders, sideboards, leaf boxes, you name it.<p>My only regret is that I didnt get into the business sooner! In winter I buy and sell on eBay under &quot;thelawnguy&quot;, look me up from Dec to Mar. and say &quot;hi&quot;.<p>Bill &quot;<p>Only difference for 2000, the tailgate sander is gone, and I scrapped the lawnboy for a 21 inch toro salvaged from a customer.<p>
Old 04-26-2000, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi everybody back east.<br>My name is Jean-Louis Curutchet. I have been in both the landscaping and the maintenance side since age eight, except for 2 ½ years as a California Highway Patrol officer. Got hurt on the job, decided enough was enough. Bought a small route from my father, been working on my own for the last 13 years. I work in the San Francisco peninsula region, here in California. The work is all year around, but we loose about a month due to rain. <br>On the maintenance side, my route is over 150 strong, with the average size yard of 900 sq.ft. The landscape side, I specialize in doing residential sod and sprinkler installations. I’m lucky that both my father and uncle are in the same business. Makes it handy to cover for each other’s business.<br>This is the best forum of other people in the Landscape/Maintenance business. Just wish there were more people from the west coast that would use this forum.<br>From sunny California,<br>Jean-Louis (Gusbuster) Curutchet<p>What I started with:<br>69 3speed on the tree 1/2 ton pu<br>sears utility trailer<br>1 19&quot; lawnboy<br>1 toro edger<br>echo blower<br>misc hand tools.<br>all tools were bought used from my dad. He also paid for my first months gas. <p>Equipment most used:<br>1 helper every Saturday<br>89 ¾ ton Chevy Pick up with dump<br>Small Sears Utility Trailer<br>2 21” self propelled “Lawn-Boy’s”<br>Shindaiwa T-230<br>Redmax Hedge trimmer<br>Echo articulated pole hedge trimmer<br>12” Garden Master Rototiler<br>Trench Master trencher<br>And other small machines. Just purchased recently a 21 Hoda Commercial model HRC216K1HXA plus mulching kit. I only wish my yards were big enough to run a hopper, lazer ect..
<p><br>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: gusbuster

[Edited by gusbuster on 08-15-2000 at 07:55 PM]
Old 04-28-2000, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm the owner/operator of The Lawn Company. I'm located in Newport, WA. About 40 miles outside of Spokane. This is my first year in business. Previously farmed in North Dakota.<p>Equipment:<p>1978 F250 4x4(dana 60's front and back, mild 460, c6, 205 t-case, 35&quot; tires)<br>1999 Lazer Z 52&quot;<br>2000 Honda 21&quot;<br>2000 Shindaiwa T270 trimmer<br>2000 Shindaiwa LE230 edger<br>2000 Shindaiwa EB500 blower<br>1980's Stihl FS36 trimmer<br>1990's Stihl 044 chainsaw<br>2000 Echo HC1500 hedge clipper<br>late 60's or early 70's JD 110 rider<br>mid 80's Ransomes/Bobcat 36&quot; wb (not in running order yet)<br> Various tools (welder, torch, compressor etc..)<p>Interests: Anything automotive, flying, Vikings football.
Old 04-30-2000, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi, I'm Rob I am in the snowplowing buisness only for about 3-4 yrs now. Just starting in the construction side lately(trying to find something to do with the equipment). We are in the south suburbs of Chicago,IL. Equipment includes:<p>1- 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ 8'western plow<br>1- 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ 8'western plow<br>1- 1994 Chevy 3500 dump w/9'western plow<br> and tailgate spreader.<br>1- 1988 IH 1900 truck w/v-box spreader and<br> 11' Flink plow<br>1- 1987 IH 1900 Dump w/12' gledhill plow<br>1- 1999 New Holland LX-885 w/9'western plow<br>1- 1999 New Holland LX-885 w/10' protech plow<br>1- 1974 Michiagn 175B wheel loader w/18'<br> protech plow(on order)<br>1- 6x12 Enclosed sidewalk trailer<br>1- skidsteer trailer<br>2- Snowblowers<br>Lots of salt (bulk & bag)<br>A full shop of tools and equipment<br>