Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2011, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Where to buy hydroseed mulch mix

Is there anywhere online that is cheaper to buy paper mulch for hydroseeders? Or where does a guy usually get this? Looking at getting a smaller unit, and just kinnda want to figure out what the mulch costs, and I am have trouble finding much for prices online. Thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think there are any "discount" hydroseeding mulch suppliers. When you say small unit what size are you thinking about. If it is a 50,100 or 150 gallon unit the openings in the tank are not real large and pourable mulches are the easiest to use such as Profile's Jet Spray. With a 300 gallon or larger then the openings are much bigger and if it were me I would probably go with bales of paper mulch.

Most all John Deere/Lesco stores carry mulch, Profile has about 1000 dealers and you could call them and see where your cloesest dealer is. Their website is www.profileproducts.com I see you are in the midwest. Phonex paper is made just south of Chicago. You could call them and see if you have a dealer near you. Applegate will sometimes sell direct in at least pallet quantities. They have 5 factories around the country and the home office is Michigan. For those in the south Ewing Irrigation carries mulch.

Typically a 40 pound bag of jet spray pourable mulch should be around $ 12-14.00, maybe more for those who are far enough away from their factory to pay a lot of freight. Paper mulch should be $ 9.00 - 14.00 a bale. That could be for a 30-40 or 50 pound bale but stay away from the 50 pound bales with a small machine. They are packed so tight that they are hard to use unless you have a bale grinder.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. The one I am looking at is a 300gallon, the guy previously used paper bales of mulch. Not sure on what weight but ya. Also, on the average, how many sq feet will say a 40lb bale get you, or how much would you mix in with a 300gallon sprayer? Thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The amount to mix might vary a little on if there is an 8 hp engine or a 13 hp with a 3" pump or an 18 or 27 with a 4" pump and who built the unit. In other words the bigger the pump and engine the more you can usually put in. Some home made units may work well some may not. Some manufactured units may work better than others.

After all that in your case I would start with 2 bales for the first load. Plan to cover about 4000 sq. ft. If your spray seems to not have much power and when you are done spraying you have material at the bottom of the tank then cut back a bit for the next load. Otherwise you can try adding a little more each load until you reach the point I described and then cut back.

If I ever get some free time I may try to do an operational and trouble shooting video to stick on you tube. If I get done traveling and have the time to do that I will try to remember to send you a pm. It could help you a little.