Register free!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Daytona International Speedway infield grass...

what type of grass is in the infield? It has awesome stripes. Did not think warm season grasses could stripe like that???
Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

it looks great this year.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am just guessing so don't burn me.

Bermuda strips very nicely and is used on all the Ball fields as well as Golf Courses. 419 Bermuda seems to be the work horse of athletic turf. So auto racing is a Athletic Sport so why not Bermuda??

BTW Common Bermuda home lawns are popular in North Florida and all of the South Eastern states.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have not been there for almost 20 years but back then it was indeed bermuda. In fact, in the campground area the grass was mostly wild bermuda with some bahia.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I would almost bet it is winter rye.
The bermuda on the higher end golf courses here in central Florida is still dormant. Daytona is north of us a little.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was just there Thursday, standing in the infield. It looks painted up close...I was trying to figure out the type, the blades were in my opinion, wider than rye or bermuda, but not as wide as floratam...
Old 02-19-2011, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never been on the infield but I wouldn't doubt that it was painted. I work for John Deere Landscapes and when I first started here about 6 years ago, we had to do online training for certain Lesco products and our Turf paint was included. During the training, it was stated that Lesco Paint was used to paint the turf in 19 of the last 20 Super Bowls. Again, this was back in 2005, so that may have changed, especially with the increase in fake turf fields.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

my guess this time of the year is overseeded bermuda and its the rye that is striping and very green. Just a guess though,
Old 02-19-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Amann View Post
I would almost bet it is winter rye.
The bermuda on the higher end golf courses here in central Florida is still dormant. Daytona is north of us a little.
Greg

Good to see you posting.

I forget that only a few miles North of me and there is not a YEAR ROUND GROWING SEASON. We really don't do any Rye Over seeding here. Fl Land over seeded his personal yard last year with Rye and seeded just a hair too heavy. This year with all the freezes he didn't over seed his Bermuda and it looks Dynamite and has for several weeks now. Last year the Over Seed chocked out the Spring flush that he got this year.

My own Bermuda lawn doesn't look all that bad (no where as nice as Fl Land's Bermuda, I don't fert it). But the point is Common Bermuda seem to be giving a better spring Green up than our traditional Bahia. Bahia is supposed to Green up quicker than Bermuda.

In Edit:

Our soil is so alkaline that Bahia just doesn't do well. Bermuda is more tolerant of the Alkaline soil and grows pretty good here with little or no care.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Greg

Good to see you posting.

I forget that only a few miles North of me and there is not a YEAR ROUND GROWING SEASON. We really don't do any Rye Over seeding here. Fl Land over seeded his personal yard last year with Rye and seeded just a hair too heavy. This year with all the freezes he didn't over seed his Bermuda and it looks Dynamite and has for several weeks now. Last year the Over Seed chocked out the Spring flush that he got this year.

My own Bermuda lawn doesn't look all that bad (no where as nice as Fl Land's Bermuda, I don't fert it). But the point is Common Bermuda seem to be giving a better spring Green up than our traditional Bahia. Bahia is supposed to Green up quicker than Bermuda.

In Edit:

Our soil is so alkaline that Bahia just doesn't do well. Bermuda is more tolerant of the Alkaline soil and grows pretty good here with little or no care.
Thanks for the compliment on my yard. And yes I will not overseed my lawn anymore, like you said the dormant season if any (which has been every year the past three years) is usually to short to bother and the transition looks like crap. BUT there is some very successful overseeding going on in our area at the Rays baseball spring training fields. They get the double eagle rye at lesco and overseed it, then again they have the guys with phd's and all the money in the world to have perfect fields year round.