Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-28-2014, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

access to cheap gas (in Maryland)

I have more gas points than I could every use obtained from grocery stores in Maryland. Specifically, $2.20 off per gallon from Shell or $1 off at Exxon for a month. I just thought I would post this on a landscaping forum to see if anyone thought it would be possible to barter cheap gas for a small amount of landscaping services. I saw a line up of trucks at the gas station this morning and thought I could save someone a lot of money. I could either just provide my telephone number to enter into the gas pump or just get the gas in the cans myself.

sorry if this inappropriate for this forum. please delete if so.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try Craigslist. I don't think anyone on here is that desperate
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol people in Potomac, super rich, but don't want to pay even a living wage. I hope you're not that kind of person
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
Lol people in Potomac, super rich, but don't want to pay even a living wage. I hope you're not that kind of person
Posted via Mobile Device
Were just lowly landscapers. We can't even afford gas

Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not everyone there is like that, but, if you're a millionaire you can afford to pay the going rate for a professional service. Not saying the op is that kind of person, but i have ran into some in pitomac. And the only people who have scammed me have been super rich.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
Not everyone there is like that, but, if you're a millionaire you can afford to pay the going rate for a professional service. Not saying the op is that kind of person, but i have ran into some in pitomac. And the only people who have scammed me have been super rich.
Posted via Mobile Device
I know I have had the same problem in davidsonville, Bowie, and upper Marlboro
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2014, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

How does someone go about collecting that many points? I shop at Kroger and have never received more than .03 off a gallon of gas.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
How does someone go about collecting that many points? I shop at Kroger and have never received more than .03 off a gallon of gas.
I do the Kroger thing at times, but it limits to 35 gal per time. A lot of times they do 4x points on their gift cards, so I'll pick up a $100 card and get 4x the points, so that's .40/gal off.... The thing is though, the Kroger is in WV where gas on average is .30+ cents higher than 10 miles down the road in VA.... so go figure.

Oh ya... use the gift card to pay for the gas too.... in case that wasn't self explanatory.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I do the Kroger thing at times, but it limits to 35 gal per time. A lot of times they do 4x points on their gift cards, so I'll pick up a $100 card and get 4x the points, so that's .40/gal off.... The thing is though, the Kroger is in WV where gas on average is .30+ cents higher than 10 miles down the road in VA.... so go figure.

Oh ya... use the gift card to pay for the gas too.... in case that wasn't self explanatory.
Thanks. Diesel is $3.63/gal here before any discount. Your tip will save me money.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Thanks. Diesel is $3.63/gal here before any discount. Your tip will save me money.
Ya, pick up a kroger gift card, every $100 spent = .10 cents, so when they have 2x or 4x the points.... You can save if you aren't buying that much fuel. You just have to make sure you "redeem" your points before you pay at the pump and have a Kroger card you swipe when you purchase the card.

Around here in WV 87 oct is $3.69 and in VA it's $3.33..... diesel in WV is $3.89 and about $3.75 in VA. So I can come out at times filling up the duramax in WV. My problem is both trucks have 2x28 gal tanks on them, and we usually run them to 1/4 tank. Then add in the 12 gal tanks on the Zs, 5 gal tanks on the WBs and about 5 or 6 5 gal cans.... it adds up. Although that's nothing compared to some guys on here spending in the thousands per week. I actually use a shell fleet card for most of our fuel purchases.