The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Member

35 per man hr
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It totally depends on your equipment and experience!! More efficient and hard working you are, the more you can charge. Mowing we get $60-65, other jobs differ.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a quick question - I know it has been asked a thousand times on this site and I've read all about it, but I like to get some feedback from you local guys instead. How often do you sharpen your blades? I know it totally depends on the amount of mowing you do and what you might be hitting with the blades, but on average? I've always just sharpened them once a week but I was thinking about switching to every other day or something. They are quite dull by the end of the week and chewed up in places. We usually run them 10 hr days when the weather is nice. =D

Jason
Old 06-16-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have 10 sets for the walkers and 10 sets for the exmarks. i do them once a week.if that hit something and they need to be change before then they will do it. do you sharpen your blades your self. i have a guy do them for me. they are good and sharp. they last the week
Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello all...I have a question and please don't laugh it might sound stupid. Why is there a lot of pick up trucks with riders mowers, doing cheep mows. I must say i am new,I just picked up a Toro WB, Does any one sub contract mows in Maine....
Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

in yarmouth there are a lot of them using john deere and they are the same pricing as i am. i sub one lawn out because the back lawn has a lot of roots. i plow the driveway in the winter and it is 75.00 plowing. that is why i mow it. the guy that does if for me runs 3 john deere riders mowers. around here they are not any cheaper. what part of maine are you in

Last edited by stan the man; 06-16-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

And some times you have a brake down and a good rider is cheaper then fixing your ZTR esp when money is tight...but ya i know that type. All you have to do is tell the customer the reason they are cheap has little to do with the mower and mostly to do with the cheap quality of the workmanship... As long as you are top notch quality because if they pick you they will most likely be really picky!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stan, yes I've sharpen my own blades with a blade grinder from Oregon - works good but takes awhile if the blades are really banged up.

Jsecape - Ya, there are all kinds of people that mow like 5 or 6 lawns with their lawn tractor for other people just for extra money, don't worry about them. They might be around the same price but it will take them twice as long to mow the same lawn that you do with a ztr. They are not your true competitor.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's hard to justify having someone else sharpen them for $5-$7 per blade. That would be around $50 per week and I'd rather save that. =D
Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

mcfarland i have account that i do. mowing and plowing. he sharpen blades and chainsaw chains. so i just wheel and deal with him on sharping. he charge me 3.00 dollar a blade. i have try sharping my own. but i just don't get them sharp.