Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2012, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

went and did the dealer rounds and looked for this years mower, looked at a walker MC 20hp, snapper pro s50x, an exmark pioneer s, and a scag freedom z.
All 48 inch. no idea what to get
Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dave, I would base a lot of the decision on the dealer personality. You want a dealer who will work for you in case of any break downs or warranty repairs. Make sure they have a 48hr guaranteed turn around on commercial equipment and/or if they will provide you with a loaner if needed. You should get a good feeling just by talking with them. If their customer service isn't up to par, the rest doesn't matter. Personally, I run mostly Toro zmasters and we have had good luck with them - they are almost identical to exmarks. I demo'd a scag once and it was good, but just didn't have a dealer close enough. The walker mowers are typically slower than a regular zero turn but they give an superb cut and back all the clippings. I would only consider this mower if you have a lot of High end customers that are very picky - even then I probably wouldn't. We have a few beautiful million dollar houses and we just use zero turns with baggers on them. I have considered the snapper but again, no dealer around. Whatever mower you get, be SURE to test it out and know it's what you are looking for.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the exmark and walker dealer is about 20 minutes away from me, and he snapper and scag dealer is about 40 minutes away. i love walker mowers, i had one for a bit, and they def are slower. and i am leaning towards the snapper, but damn that built in bagging system is so damn nice!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, it depends on how much bagging you do. We "mulch" and spread it around as much as possible and only have to collect the grass on like 8-10 properties, so it's just not worth it for me. My dealer is 1 hr away from me - but most of the repairs and maintenance we do in-house and I keep stocked on extra pulleys and belts etc. If you find a guy to work for you who is also a decent mechanic, that's key. Paying an employee $15/hr sure beats the dealer's $55/hr. Make a parts run once in awhile and you're all set. Try them all out and let us know what you get and how you like it. I'm very interested in the new exmarks. My buddy runs Deere's which I've borrowed from him before if we got in a jam and they are nice but also WICKED priced and harder to work on.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'm a big fan of fixing things myself, i mean 80 an hour is aq little high when you need 5 hours of labor
Old 03-24-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly, and it's not even like they need any special electronic diagnosis tools, just socket wrenches and elbow grease and the operators manual...lol
Old 03-24-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

ill give uo the day i have to plug a computer into my mower to fix it lol
Old 04-13-2012, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, still a little behind on cleanups but catching up fast and will be all done by the middle/end of next week. The going straight into mowing. Few overseeding jobs next week as well. How is everyone's year shaping up? Getting a lot of additional work, may have to add another mower and thinking about an EFI. Any of you guys have one....how do you like it?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

2012 is going to be another good year, 100% retention with one new high end account added so far. will be done clean ups in a week and a half with no rain then it's on to mulching, i like the money it brings in but my back takes #&%!@* you know what i mean. the weather certainly has been on our side, i'm a week ahead from last year, things are looking good. hope all you guys are doing well also.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dig - Do you use bags or truck the mulch? Bags might be a little easier to handle and use but also more expensive in my area. I haven't got all my contracts back yet, but some people are just a little slower. Right now I'm calculating about 95% customer return. Some I just didn't offer another season (weeding out the difficult ones) and some just cannot afford the service or were not happy for some reason or another. But then picked up 5 more residentials and at 2 commercials. One of them being a 6 hr job with two mowers (3 athletic fields and 2 school grounds). I was hoping not to have to buy much this year but may have to after all, we'll see. Yes we Definitely need some rain though. Last week of April looks like some rain in this area, so I'll do the seeding jobs the end of this week and hope for some moisture. If not, guess we'll have to hook up the programmed sprinklers - never had to use them this time of year before.