Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It was my new Walker, where the chute comes into the impeller. I can count on one hand the amount of times our DFS bagger has been plugged on our Deere. The most recent was a cleanup we did, a field that had not been mowed all season which was full of clover. The grass was up to the seat of the Deere in places. We recently tried the red paint machines, well a stander and I have to say I was impressed. Although with Wright taking over production of Deere's standers there might be some competition when I decide next summer. About the Fuso, we have a few local guys who use them and they have plow setups, but like you said there aren't a lot of people who run them.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How did you guys do with the "storm of the century?" We just did our first day of checking out the damage. 4 out of 50 properties we checked had trees down. One had three, all crossed and still hanging in the air. Cleanups might be put on hold until the mess gets taken care of.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No too bad here...several large 8-12 inch limbs came down on properties but I haven't got any calls of whole trees down yet. But then again we haven't been to all the properties yet and most are seasonal resis so no one would know if a tree is down. lol The wet weather blows....want some sun to dry all the leaves out just a tad - they cleanup so much easier. It did get some people thinking - have a handful of trees to take down near houses that people got nervous of.

Jason
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It does get people thinking which is the good part of the whole mess. We did a run through with our tree guy at a few schools to elimate tree hazards. He found a TON. The response was "we'd like to elimate risk, but it isn't really in the budget!" Maybe now they'll rethink their budget, along with a lot of other people.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, I know what you're saying about budget restraints. This is one aspect that I like about resis - usually the person you are selling to is the decision maker and has control of the money too. Makes the process so much easier.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If any of your guys are in the market for equipment, I am getting out of the business and have everything for sale and everything is listed here http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=392301

Everything is in Gorham
Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Midcoast Maine newbee intro

As my names states I have less then 10 years left till my retirement from my state job. I will be 56y/o. This will be my full time gig by then. I did mow for part of the 2012 season using residental equipment but will upgrade for 2013 with a small investment for truck, trailer, and zrt mower. I could use a mentor up in this area if anyone is interested. I have about 600 hrs/mowing season available and only mowed 140 of those for 2012.I want to fill the other 460 hours!!! Im in Stockton Springs.

Looking forward to learning from everyone.

Todd
Todds Lawn Care
Old 12-02-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As long as you stay on your side of the bridge I'd be more than happy to talk with you anytime!! HAHHA. I'm about 40 min away from you. I don't claim to know it all but would be glad to help you out anytime or answer any questions I can. Feel free to message me, email or call! Always happy to talk with other guys in the area!

Jason
Old 12-02-2012, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Stories from your first couple years. How did things go? Did you start whole hog or may be part time and build things up? What were some of the bigger mistakes you made?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Part time, my father kept his logging/firewood business going to supplement the mowing. After 2 or 3 years we were strictly mowing.