Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Intro redux

Thank you for the detailed response regarding licensing.

My first name is Luke. I'm a Northern boy at heart but have been down this way with the city slickers for about 15 years. I grew up in the woods and even did the CLP (Logging professional) program in high school. I worked in landscaping and construction while in college about 10 years ago. I have a bachelors degree in Criminology and presently work full time in a related field. I guess the northern part of me still wants to do physical labor LOL. Really I've wanted to get into lawn care for about 10 years or so now and the stars finally aligned so I was able to take a large step in that direction.
Mid Summer this year I purchased a 61" Ferris 2000 and a Ferris Evolution. The Evolution was a steal because the dealer had it for a couple of years. I picked up 10-12 weekly accounts and some odd jobs this summer, plenty to keep me busy on my two days off a week. I'm all together new to the business aspect of things but am learning. I picked up the Ken Lavoie book and found that to be a great base. Plus read a ton on this site.
5 years from now I see myself as being much larger operation. Not necessarily a ton of employees but with an efficient route that is highly profitable. I'd like to try and double my number of accounts in 2013 and continue to work full time as well. Time will tell whether this becomes a lucrative side job or a full time vocation.

Luke

Last edited by thelawnduke; 12-05-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Where is there a Ferris dealer in Maine? I hear a lot about them but have only seen one, and it looked like it came over on the Mayflower.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I purchased my Ferris mowers at Mainely Small Engines in Westbrook. Other than that I'm not aware where there are other dealers. The owner tells me that the Ferris rep lives in Portland and is himself a Ferris (family member). I've never met him but I guess they are pretty good for the dealers to work with.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I see they're also a Gravely dealer. I may head over there to take a look. I'm pretty die hard on JD and Walker but I'm always open to giving other brands a try.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I tried gravely as well, nice machine but the Ferris just felt better to me. They're ready to make deals there. Walker is definately on my wish list in the future, that and a Ventrac! If you wanna test mow I still don't have mine put away for winter yet.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I might take you up on that in the spring. We're trying to get everything ready for snow. Moved two pieces this week with one more to go, serviced everything before it gets too cold. Then hook up the sander on our flatbed and put the plow gear on our 6 wheeler.... it never ends
Old 12-05-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the intro and good luck!! Yes, I know Ken Lavoie - dealt with him several times over the years and he's a great guy. By now I'm pretty sure he doesn't do ANYTHING but sub out work but he ran a good business. I only bought one Ferris and that was a new wb my second year. It was a fine mower, but just not a good fit for our needs. I only put like 100 hrs on it and sold it - dealers are FAR from my area. I totally understand your desire to work outdoors with your hands - I did a stint in the military and then in law enforcement (got MOST of the p*** and vinegar out of my system) before I finally found that this is what I enjoy most. Good luck and feel free to ask questions anytime!!

Jason
Old 12-29-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi all how have you all been?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Does anyone know which management company handles Lowes in southern Maine? I was hoping to put in a bid for the upcoming season, any help is greatly appreciated
Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You mean this coming spring/summer? Not sure but good luck with it....call them up and ask. They should be able to put you in touch with the right people. We've tried national chains before and they usually want ALL kinds of documentation each time work is done on site. Rite Aid wanted forms filled out and faxed to their management company like every week within 10 hrs of the work being done or something....all kinds of hoops. I shot high and didn't get it. I talked to the guy who does it and he says they complain all the time about stupid stuff that isn't even a problem hahah. Hope you find better luck!

Jason