Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2013, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good thing we finally got some rain. Now kicking off all our full mowing schedules this coming week. It has taken forever it seems but allowed us to get a lot of other jobs done. Little more chipping and mulching and seeding but overall looking good. Hope we have a decent month of weather.

Jason
Old 05-21-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spoke too soon...what is everyone doing with rain all week long???
Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We put out 110 CY's mulch yesterday and today, now we have to get mowing done before Sun./Mon. We'll be mowing in the sun/rain/snow, no choice but to get it done
Old 05-21-2013, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got in my truck today after my last account just as a down pour started
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, we're cutting them no matter what - they don't look great, but people will just have to accept it. Can't let them get ahead of us by a whole week - the guys aren't happy but not much we can do. What a mess.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got called off a few today so it was an easy day for me
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guys can any of you give some insight to a question below, thank you.

I just bought a Exmark Metro 36 used but in near new condition from a local Exmark dealer that seems to have a good reputation from others in my area (Maine) I asked for a 2nd set of blades and he came out with a set of low lift blades. I asked about high lift and he said these would be better for side discharge and that the high lift would pack more grass and pack it up under the deck especially in the wet spring conditions. Any thoughts on this everything I've seemed to have read on this site suggests high lift for better dispersal ect. Also I noticed the low lift were not notched and the stock blades were almost like a gator blade?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Totally depends on your grass/weeds you are cutting, the conditions, the blades and the mower deck. I have no experience with a Metro so I really can't help - try out all kinds of blades and see what you think.

Totally unrelated, but as I was out mowing today, I couldn't help but chuckle as I heard all the "tornado warnings" coming across the radio for parts of Maine. They had specific instructions for people who live in trailers since they are so flimsy. lol Cracked me up.

So I'm also gonna complain about an issue. So on Saturday, about 2:30 we are out mowing like crazy to get caught up and my bagger belt goes on one Toro Z. Well, my dealer is closed after noon on Saturdays. So I called the next closest dealer, who does not stock them and will have to order it from Toro and have it shipped - should be here on Thursday, he says. ARE you kidding me? I can see them no carrying non-essential parts like wheel weights, rops, etc. But they should have any parts that keep the mower from working in stock!! Every Belt and pulley on that machine should be in their shop!! Now this is one we bought brand new from them last year too.....NUTS! So I said, since mine is shredded can you give me the measurements so I can try to find it at a parts store. NOPE, they don't have any of that info either. This is nuts. Well, long story short, I googled all kinds of info and found the belt size, called NAPA who was open until 7pm on Saturdays, and got a belt that they had 1/2 inch shorter. WORKS great. Oh, and the icing on the cake - cost me $14.97 and the dealer was charging me $35. What's the point of even having a dealer?? I'm done now.....hahhahah......glad to have the nice weather!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

New to the site...

Thought this would be a good place to introduce myself. I'm a property preservation contractor, primarily doing lawncare, from Pemaquid ME. I've been here quite a while, but only recently found this site.
Hoping to do a little networking, and learn some things from all of you. In the last two years I've gone from 5-8 lawns a week to 30+ a week, and this week I'm up to 58, so I'm looking for ways to improve efficiency, etc.

Currently running a Toro Proline 44, Toro Timemaster 30, tanaka trimmer. After talking with Chadwick's in Nobleboro, I'm thinking about switching to all Echo handhelds prior to fall cleanup season. Seems to be a good dealer, would like to here any feedback.

jeff
Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Never tried the Echos but seen a few guys using them. Stihl rules by far in this area.