Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We run 5 srm 230's, 2 pb 770's , and 2 430's. We've always used Echo and had good luck with them. We also have 2 KM 90's that have proven well worth the money. I think it comes down to any equipment, dealer support, our dealer sells/services both so we're lucky.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

How's everyone doing so far? Business is good here, I think about triple from last years 12 accounts! Oh yeah Jr. I picked up a Walker 23 a month ago and love it although still getting used to steering lol! Got set back today from 8 AM start when helper/BIL/PITA decided to drive Ferris onto trailer before I had ball hooked on WTF! Drove the Tongue right through the tail gate handle, and sprung some kind of tension bar on the trailer tires, not to mention almost took my head off. 3 hours later some lessons learned we hit the first lawn of the day at 11. All and all good season and McFarland I think I may be the next Maine lawnsite guy to leave fulltime L/E to go to full time lawns I LOVE THIS!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Congrats on the Walker

We only have 12 accounts, we've been landing a lot more one time deals this year though, so that has helped.

We have a safety rule, no one near the trailer hitch when loading/unloading, my father used to work in construction, a driver was killed when someone was unloading an excavator and the truck pintle broke, hitting the driver in the head.

Anyone else sick of this rain?.........
Old 06-28-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Congrats on the Walker

We only have 12 accounts, we've been landing a lot more one time deals this year though, so that has helped.

We have a safety rule, no one near the trailer hitch when loading/unloading, my father used to work in construction, a driver was killed when someone was unloading an excavator and the truck pintle broke, hitting the driver in the head.

Anyone else sick of this rain?.........
YES!! I'm sick of it! But it's going to continue. I just hope it clears out for the 4th and the weekend following.

2012 GMC 3500HD
9'2" Boss Power V Snowplow
Sno-Ex Sand Pro
2001 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel
9'2" Boss Power VXT Snowplow
1.75 yard sander
2013 22' Suretrac HD Skid Steer trailer
2012 24' Suretrac HD Deckover trailer
2011 72" Kubota ZD331 Diesel
2009 60" Kubota ZD331 Diesel (with bagger)
Stihl trimmers, echo PAS
Old 06-29-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, all the summer people are arriving for the 4th and lawns are soaked and overdue....what a mess. Oh well, what you gonna do. Had to hire a new guy this week, hope he works out well - seems to know his stuff. First guy I've hired with prior experience from another LCO. Few things to tweak, but sure beats training from scratch!! He's too used to running those damn slow yellow three wheeled mowers....LOL!!

Congrats on the mower and new accounts - something to be said for doing a job you enjoy - regardless of how much you make. Good luck!

We are getting lots more calls in June than May. I only wanted to get 5-10 new ones this year and focus on organizing shop/crews etc but next thing I know we got 28 new ones.....dang I need to practice saying "NO".
Old 06-29-2013, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I had a dollar each time they started loading before clamping down the ball hitch, I could go out to eat by now. Something about it, I've even forgotten once or twice this year. Good policy of standing away while loading! We've had it all happen this month. One guy quitting, one zmaster caught on fire at customers property, blew trailer tire, smashed a truck mirror off, ran my "new truck" into a 4 ft boulder in the yard, etc etc etc..... No idea how nice a smooth week is like! lol
Old 07-01-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Geez bud, you've had a rough spring!! Here's to a much smoother summer!

2012 GMC 3500HD
9'2" Boss Power V Snowplow
Sno-Ex Sand Pro
2001 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel
9'2" Boss Power VXT Snowplow
1.75 yard sander
2013 22' Suretrac HD Skid Steer trailer
2012 24' Suretrac HD Deckover trailer
2011 72" Kubota ZD331 Diesel
2009 60" Kubota ZD331 Diesel (with bagger)
Stihl trimmers, echo PAS
Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I have great hopes for July - now if the weather will only straighten out! I also gotta redo the schedule/customer route to account for new customers and different crew. Let's try to keep this thread alive....
Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelawnduke View Post
How's everyone doing so far? Business is good here, I think about triple from last years 12 accounts! Oh yeah Jr. I picked up a Walker 23 a month ago and love it although still getting used to steering lol! Got set back today from 8 AM start when helper/BIL/PITA decided to drive Ferris onto trailer before I had ball hooked on WTF! Drove the Tongue right through the tail gate handle, and sprung some kind of tension bar on the trailer tires, not to mention almost took my head off. 3 hours later some lessons learned we hit the first lawn of the day at 11. All and all good season and McFarland I think I may be the next Maine lawnsite guy to leave fulltime L/E to go to full time lawns I LOVE THIS!
Best of luck making the jump from a LEO. I fully understand why you would want to make the switch, I hope someday to do the same.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2013, 05:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
If I had a dollar each time they started loading before clamping down the ball hitch, I could go out to eat by now. Something about it, I've even forgotten once or twice this year. Good policy of standing away while loading! We've had it all happen this month. One guy quitting, one zmaster caught on fire at customers property, blew trailer tire, smashed a truck mirror off, ran my "new truck" into a 4 ft boulder in the yard, etc etc etc..... No idea how nice a smooth week is like! lol
Man, that sounds like me last year , last year was rough for employees, this year we have new guys, I can't describe the difference. I used to actually dread going to work because I knew I was going to have to yell at someone, now, the guys do what their told, do it well and in a timely manner. They're good with equipment, we still have safety meetings every Monday to keep things fresh in their mind or go over things any issues one of us might have seen the week before. Don't worry it will get better