Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-21-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Who in Maine are the bigger players doing over a million in sales? Lucas is the only company I've seen listed on the top 150 companies in the USA. I would think only southern Maine could support companies doing seven figures.

The Austin area green industry is about a billion dollar market. In our central Texas market between the one man show companies and the 100+ employee size companies you probably have 1000 companies. I'm on the small side with three employees and about $325K in sales.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 09-21-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Who in Maine are the bigger players doing over a million in sales? Lucas is the only company I've seen listed on the top 150 companies in the USA. I would think only southern Maine could support companies doing seven figures.

The Austin area green industry is about a billion dollar market. In our central Texas market between the one man show companies and the 100+ employee size companies you probably have 1000 companies. I'm on the small side with three employees and about $325K in sales.
I worked for Lucas for a short period. Take out tree work and fertilization no way did their Portland based landscaping division come close to a million. Only 3-4 employees dedicated to landscape maintenance and installs.

My former employer Dean C Ramsdell Landscaping had years over 1 million. The majority of the successful LCO people are solo or small 2-3 crew companies in this area anyway. I would think outside of the populated coastal regions it becomes much more difficult. I'm just getting back in it for myself after several years out of the business altogether. This is my 1st attempt doing it for myself, hoping my past experience, some ideas of my own and many ideas from lawnsite will make it work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML View Post
I worked for Lucas for a short period. Take out tree work and fertilization no way did their Portland based landscaping division come close to a million. Only 3-4 employees dedicated to landscape maintenance and installs.

My former employer Dean C Ramsdell Landscaping had years over 1 million. The majority of the successful LCO people are solo or small 2-3 crew companies in this area anyway. I would think outside of the populated coastal regions it becomes much more difficult. I'm just getting back in it for myself after several years out of the business altogether. This is my 1st attempt doing it for myself, hoping my past experience, some ideas of my own and many ideas from lawnsite will make it work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lucas has branch locations all over the place and includes all revenue together I'm sure. They show 38 million in sales with 465 employees. Here is a link to the top 150 companies http://landscapemanagement.net/2013/...m150-rankings/. Mass has two companies on the list.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 09-21-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
we just scooped up a JD stander......
pics

Quote:
Who in Maine are the bigger players doing over a million in sales?
Someone already mentioned Ramsdell

Maine Turf, Salmon Falls, Piscataqua, Seabreeze are the big ones around here, there are quite a few more doing over 1 mil near the Portland/Falmouth areas. Thanks for the list, I'd be happy to be #150
Old 09-21-2013, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
pics

Someone already mentioned Ramsdell

Maine Turf, Salmon Falls, Piscataqua, Seabreeze are the big ones around here, there are quite a few more doing over 1 mil near the Portland/Falmouth areas. Thanks for the list, I'd be happy to be #150
I'm in the process of redoing my website www.plantscapesolutions.net. It needs to be modernized. I looked at all the websites of the companies mentioned and for being decent sized companies they all have pretty bad websites. The sites all look like they haven't been updated in ten years.

Down here in the huge Austin market it has become all about SEO, mobile friendly websites, and a good website in general to bring in the leads. It's amazing how many companies can't do basic stuff like take before and after pictures. Here is a good example of one of my dramatic before & after shots.
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2013, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I'm in the process of redoing my website www.plantscapesolutions.net. It needs to be modernized. I looked at all the websites of the companies mentioned and for being decent sized companies they all have pretty bad websites. The sites all look like they haven't been updated in ten years.

Down here in the huge Austin market it has become all about SEO, mobile friendly websites, and a good website in general to bring in the leads. It's amazing how many companies can't do basic stuff like take before and after pictures. Here is a good example of one of my dramatic before & after shots.
they don't have to take before and after pictures, that's the beauty of large companies. Have you seen valleycrests,or brickmans?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
they don't have to take before and after pictures, that's the beauty of large companies. Have you seen valleycrests,or brickmans?
Posted via Mobile Device
The beauty of before pictures is they show the vision required to create the after picture. They give your work a lot more credibility. Especially if your a small company trying to get your clients confidence level at a level higher then what others can do. Before pictures on a grander commercial scale usually have an even better shock and awe value.

There are a lot of websites out there using lots of clip art showing work they didn't even do. Or guys who stick a few plants in a nice landscape and then take pictures as though they did the whole landscape. There are lots of lawn guys out there acting like they are educated landscape designers when they are little more then grass cutters. You can fake the after picture but you can't usually fake the before.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know Ramsdell and Im sure the others Jrs mentioned are very similar in that they all started small grew big before the Internet craze and smartphone era. They are more than established and may even be bigger than they want to be. They got relationships with builders, developers and big property managers so that whenever something comes up they are on their bid list, if not being told just get it done by this date and send a bill. I'm sure most of their big jobs come to them asking for the work or for them to put a bid. I know Ramsdell never spent 5 cents on advertising besides truck lettering and professional shirts.

That being said Im sure if he was starting out today or looking to significantly increase his work load he would take the time for a top of the line website.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Hard to make assumptions if you dont know a lot about the whole state. Ever been to midcoast Maine? I know of one company that does well over a million. They have gotten huge over the years. Also there is another LCO that probably comes close to that in the same area. Also there are a couple of big hardscape outfits in this area that do big money jobs. Mid coast Maine is full of hi end clientel. Money isnt just in southern Maine.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat5150 View Post
Hard to make assumptions if you dont know a lot about the whole state. Ever been to midcoast Maine? I know of one company that does well over a million. They have gotten huge over the years. Also there is another LCO that probably comes close to that in the same area. Also there are a couple of big hardscape outfits in this area that do big money jobs. Mid coast Maine is full of hi end clientel. Money isnt just in southern Maine.
Yes good point I was saying that because that is where I live and have worked. I took a trip once to Camden, Round Pond area same thing very nice very expensive properties professionally maintained. Plenty of high end properties in the Sebago Lakes Region as well.
Posted via Mobile Device