Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-25-2014, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good idea. I havent done it but am sure a lot of people would be on board. The thought of spreading 2-3 yds with a push spreader sounds rough though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2014, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allagashpm View Post
Sounds like a good idea. I havent done it but am sure a lot of people would be on board. The thought of spreading 2-3 yds with a push spreader sounds rough though
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah it's definitely a labor gig. Good job for a 16 year old and hard to mess up. But again the numbers are good. If it turned into a big niche I could see going for the self propelled spreader down the road
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-27-2014, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bit the bullet on a Gravely 460 today.....this thing is a beast - 31 Kawi. Always had Toro or Deere before this, so it'll be interesting to see how it works out.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I have rented the ecolawn compost spreader in the past and that beats a shovel and wheelbarrow. It works well as long as the compost is pretty dry and you have some square footage to cover. If your composting full days or a full week it's worth it. Such an even spread. Still charge your sqft price but your done in so much less time. Not sure I would buy one at 5k but the rental charge was worth it all day. You can see their website at ecolawnapplicator.com
Old 07-13-2014, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well i bought a new zero turn and trailer last week so i didn't have to push mow any more. well i thought id be able to get some work to help pay for this thing. i can't even get a bite on noting. i did get one account new to do some tree pruning and trimming around his yard but thats about it… thought for sure i could get some mulching, planting gravel something for work but don't know where to begin

2008 Gmc Sierra
2014 Kubota z122 48 in hydrostat mower
2014 tophat 7x14 landscape trailer
fs 90 r trimmer
21 inch troy built self propelled mower
26 in craftsman snowblower
Old 07-13-2014, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSantolandscaping View Post
well i bought a new zero turn and trailer last week so i didn't have to push mow any more. well i thought id be able to get some work to help pay for this thing. i can't even get a bite on noting. i did get one account new to do some tree pruning and trimming around his yard but thats about it… thought for sure i could get some mulching, planting gravel something for work but don't know where to begin
Would of been better off spending that money on advertising.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Would of been better off spending that money on advertising.
You don't have to kick the kid when he's down, I'm pretty sure he gets it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2014, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSantolandscaping View Post
Have you tried networking? Now is the time guys are giving up and customers are looking for new companies. Bigger companies get a lot of leads they don't want and might be willing to hand off to you. Keep plugging and use this to understand needs vs wants in the future when making purchases, good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It takes time - I am a little over 7 years in and we are now so busy we have to turn away work. Patience, do good work, be honest, advertise and it'll grow. Are you good at selling? If not read some books on it, learn what you can if you have down time. With all the dry and hot weather lately, it's a hard time of year to pick up new customers when they are trying to get their cut back to EOW already. Like Chris said though, network a bit and make friends with other contractors - carpenters etc, then they'll start recommending you for jobs that you offer service for.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rockland

Any fertilizer guys in or around Rockland or Camden. I am from southern Ga owner fertilizer company small

Training them early