Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-18-2014, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSantolandscang View Post
well i bought a new zero turn and trailer lt. eek so i didn't have to push mow any more. well i thought id be able to get some work to help pay for this thing. i can't even get a bite on noting. i did get one account new to do some tree pruning and trimming around his yard but thats about it… thought for sure i could get some mulching, planting gravel something for work but don't know where to begin
Where are you located ? how many accounts did you have before you bought it ? What are you doing for advertising? It takes time you need to walk before you run especially this time of year. You can still get calls this time of year but most customers aren't actively looking. What did you get for a mower? Good luck. Anyone down south get hit with that micro burst on Tuesday?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allagashpm View Post
Anyone down south get hit with that micro burst on Tuesday?
Posted via Mobile Device
It went through near my wife's work, she said the pictures on the news didn't do it justice. Bet the tree companies are busy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2014, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's something kinda neat when your crew leader find's a new customer, gives a good estimate and adds them to the route. I'm filling in for him today and I just realized I will have to get directions to a few of them - never seen the property, but they have been happy customers all season. A good feeling to finally have a good basic system that is much more than I could handle alone.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Just hired my first employee. PT and only 10hrs/wk. And through a temp service but seemed to work out good after the first day. He had a little lawn care experience so I gave him a shot. Willl see how it goes. Numbers looked good and it freed up some time so that I can add some more work. I am cautiously optimistic! !!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2014, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
It's something kinda neat when your crew leader find's a new customer, gives a good estimate and adds them to the route. I'm filling in for him today and I just realized I will have to get directions to a few of them - never seen the property, but they have been happy customers all season. A good feeling to finally have a good basic system that is much more than I could handle alone.
Nice, I've seen some of the work you've been doing on facebook - you do some quality work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-10yrs2retire View Post
Just hired my first employee. PT and only 10hrs/wk. And through a temp service but seemed to work out good after the first day. He had a little lawn care experience so I gave him a shot. Willl see how it goes. Numbers looked good and it freed up some time so that I can add some more work. I am cautiously optimistic! !!
Posted via Mobile Device
Congrats, hope it works out for you and allows you to grow

Licensed Insurance Agent in ME/NH/Mass
Old 07-23-2014, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowguy43 View Post
Nice, I've seen some of the work you've been doing on facebook - you do some quality work!
Thank you, Sir....that means a lot to us!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Member

top dresser

Hi all, hope everyone's seasons are doing well! I have a customer looking to get their lawn top dressed only problem is I dont have a machine to do it. I checked Sun Belt rentals and they dont list one either. Anyone know where I can rent one? Other suggestions? Its about 25,000 sqft. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a tough one. With a lawn area that big you really would be better off with a spreader. What are they topdressing with? If it's fine enough and you get a big enough spreader, you might be able to use that. Are they going to overseed as well? You also might just spread it lightly with a small small tractor bucket and then use a couple backpacks to thin it out and spread it around. Just trying to think outside the box a bit here. Is aeration an option instead?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

No they just want the top dressing. I have never done a top dress. I think its to add nutrition to the soil by top dressing with a good compost. Aeration helps get that nutrient into the ground faster.

Their reason is that she can feel the holes from moles and such when walking bare foot so they say they want a half inch of topsoil and rolled out.

Im going to swing over and talk with them. I dont think what they want is going to do them any good. I have cut this lawn all summer and havnt once seen a mole. They do have a few chipmunks around that have been digging holes in all the gardens so may be its them...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2014, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hate to tell them, but 1/2" of topsoil ain't gonna discourage moles. LOL But I'm sure you know that! hahah Keep us posted. Take some pictures of the "problem" - glad to help!