Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Fuel Stabilizer Use

I am relatively new to the business and have 3 handhelds, 2 WB's and a ZTR. After reading about the potential effects of ethanol on small engines I started using ethanol free gas from a station in town. On one visit I noticed that he sold Startron, he said that folks had good luck using it so I tried a bottle for when I needed fuel and it was not convenient to get E-free fuel. I have to say that I have had no fuel related issues since using the E-free gas or the Startron in the E-gas.

I will continue to use the Startron as it is considerably less expensive to treat E-fuel than to purchase the E-free gas. Especially since on my last trip to my dealer I noticed that a more concentrated version was available which brings the price per gallon even lower.

Not a very scientific analysis, but, being a small one man gang, I will stick with what works for me.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason I use SeaFoam is on my 250Hp Yamaha outboard the inside of the prop had some black residue in it. After using SeaFoam that was gone, nothing but shiny stainless now. So I just started using it in everything. I mix 5gal a week for the handhelds. 93 oct. a can of SeaFoam, 50-1 Amsoil Syn. and a little StarTron.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
Another thread on thr subject:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...34#post3877334

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 411 on Ethanol

I found this link on the Stabil website. It tells of the good, bad and ugly on Ethanol.

I learned some unknown stuff and got clear on others. Draining the fuel system and tank then burning off what's left in the carb is always the best method for long term storage.

http://www.goldeagle.com/UserFiles/f...the%20Ugly.pdf
I am certainly not an expert but I was told that a stabilizer can reduce the problems that are created from the water build up due to ethanol. From what I here there are some new laws coming in the next couple of years that is going to increase the ethanol percentage in fuel greatly. I haven't used a stabilizer but I suppose what would be the harm in it.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiggy View Post
I am certainly not an expert but I was told that a stabilizer can reduce the problems that are created from the water build up due to ethanol. From what I here there are some new laws coming in the next couple of years that is going to increase the ethanol percentage in fuel greatly. I haven't used a stabilizer but I suppose what would be the harm in it.
Looks like I should get used to using it.^
Old 02-21-2011, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

never used anything noproblems
Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just a quick question, who empties out their tanks at the end of the season? I'm not saying it's wrong for guys who leave their oil and gas+stabilizer in their mower, but I always thought it was logical just to keep it dry in the offseason.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As the season nears its end, I stabilize everything. I haven't tended to use stabilizer all the time, but I'm starting to use anti-ethanol treatment which generally speaking is also a stabilizer, so pretty much everything is going to wind up stabilized all the time.
Most of my equipment is not drained over the winter.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never used any type of fuel additive in any equipment or personnel stuff unless it was going to sit for over a year. I have never had any fuel related issues.

I worked for a oil company for over 15 years. Its a big scam. Use quality fuel and synthetic oils you will be fine. Check out the "oil guy" as well.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc1994 View Post
just a quick question, who empties out their tanks at the end of the season? I'm not saying it's wrong for guys who leave their oil and gas+stabilizer in their mower, but i always thought it was logical just to keep it dry in the offseason.
empty tanks will scum before full ones do i thought that is what you were suposed to do as well its a myth
Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borwicks View Post
I have never used any type of fuel additive in any equipment or personnel stuff unless it was going to sit for over a year. I have never had any fuel related issues.

I worked for a oil company for over 15 years. Its a big scam. Use quality fuel and synthetic oils you will be fine. Check out the "oil guy" as well.
Tell the people who have had trouble and use the stuff to get out of trouble its a SCAM!!! And who says the gas and oil is quality!! There are a lot of good products out there. Heet, SeaFoam, Star Tron and others don't let anyone tell you they are a scam.