Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kansas city is pretty big...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRRITECH View Post
Sigh..........I don't know if you've ever been out of your small town, but you're definitely missing the big picture. $15/hour is roughly $30,000/year, unless you work for the government, running a weedeater is not worth that. I have worked all over the southeast in the last 20 yrs, and labor is a minimum wage job, just like the kid selling popcorn.

Unfortunately the "American" labor pool has been overpaid for a long time. A labor job with a landscape company is not meant to support a lifestyle that includes cell phones, flat screen t.v., new cars, etc. But, if you split the bills between several people, you can live fairly well. The Mexicans get this and do what Americans should be doing, live within your means. Or if you don't like that, get a freakin education or some MARKETABLE skills and go get a new job.
It's not Atlanta, but pretty wide open piece of land here. I'm not argueing the point that Americans have been overpaid in select categories for decades, no arguement with that. But I've seen how Mexicans live, friend,d and it ain't that great a life by no means. I've seen how many stink'n sweaty guys bunk up in bed-bug-infested dumps across the landscape to realize that this isn't the route to go with a vast labor pool. Education is not even in the picture for most Mexicans so that option is out. Sad thing about higher education is...I wouldn't hire 90% of the college kids during the summer that whine for a job because they don't have work ethic and staying power. Even college talent these days isn't what it once was.

Mexican crews from Leawood, KS to North Kansas City invade our nice, clean Quik Trip stores here in KC and literally demolish their bathrooms. You want to talk about gross and disgusting hygiene! I know the management and behind the scenes of these high-grossing convenience stores and they'll tell ya...Mexicans are one step above animals! That's what you promote by your $8/hr labor, funneling to the "hardest workers" that this country has to offer. They don't even know how to hit the toilet...this comes straight from the personnel...let me put it nicely for the fans out there...as a general rule, Mexicans care less about their bathroom decorum than any group of folks going today. Why do I bring that up? Low wages + hard working desperate people = higher crime, lower wages for everyone, filth, lower property values, etc. Problems in a big way. You give a desperate third worlder pennies, they'll take 'em. Eventually, those pennies run out...and all you're surrounded by our illegal, uneducated, desperate people. Not the kind of country I want to live in.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good discussion, here's another angle...

Quote:
Sigh..........I don't know if you've ever been out of your small town, but you're definitely missing the big picture. $15/hour is roughly $30,000/year, unless you work for the government, running a weedeater is not worth that. I have worked all over the southeast in the last 20 yrs, and labor is a minimum wage job, just like the kid selling popcorn.

Unfortunately the "American" labor pool has been overpaid for a long time. A labor job with a landscape company is not meant to support a lifestyle that includes cell phones, flat screen t.v., new cars, etc. But, if you split the bills between several people, you can live fairly well. The Mexicans get this and do what Americans should be doing, live within your means. Or if you don't like that, get a freakin education or some MARKETABLE skills and go get a new job.
I've been watching guys like you run America based on your business theories. All it's done in the last 20 years has evaporated once-ok-paying jobs into minimum wage cesspools. You take entire business categories of business earnings, drop it down into the bottom of the barrel category...guess what...there's no new categories of business to take it's place in the "ok paying" category. You guys thought there would be, but it didn't happen, did it? No. America doesn't perpetually provide brand new categories of business at the rate your boys in ivory towers lower business revenues tied to unskilled labor. Colleges teach it, but in the real world...never materializes.

There are only so many Facebooks out there, so many Apple computers out there. Those are the primo jobs. I'm in the mortgage business as well as mowing and I'm here to tell ya, mortgage companies are a handful of what they once were. And only the best and most skilled survive. You have to do about 35% more work for the same money as in 2007...is that a good thing? I know a whole lotta former loan officers across two states that are now forced to other professions. Is that a good thing? Some of 'em want to trim grass for me. Driving down wages and outcomes, just as the Mexican labor example you site, does nothing positive. It eventually destroys professions no matter what the income level.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECESSION PROOF MOWING View Post
There are only so many Facebooks out there, so many Apple computers out there.
That's just a dumb statement. It's called innovation and it's been out there since this country was founded and continues daily. Just because the ideas aren't yours doesn't mean they are gone.

Quote:
I'm in the mortgage business as well as mowing and I'm here to tell ya, mortgage companies are a handful of what they once were. And only the best and most skilled survive.
So get yourself some skills or live on what you can make, duh. Are you a broker?? or just a loan officer?? Again, MARKETABLE SKILLS. If you ain't got em you ain't workin.

Quote:
Driving down wages and outcomes, just as the Mexican labor example you site, does nothing positive. It eventually destroys professions no matter what the income level.
It's called competition, if you can't compete, go get some MARKETABLE SKILLS and get a job. Or, stay on unemployment for years like the rest of the losers.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
It's not Atlanta, but pretty wide open piece of land here. I'm not argueing the point that Americans have been overpaid in select categories for decades, no arguement with that. But I've seen how Mexicans live, friend,d and it ain't that great a life by no means. I've seen how many stink'n sweaty guys bunk up in bed-bug-infested dumps across the landscape to realize that this isn't the route to go with a vast labor pool. Education is not even in the picture for most Mexicans so that option is out. Sad thing about higher education is...I wouldn't hire 90% of the college kids during the summer that whine for a job because they don't have work ethic and staying power. Even college talent these days isn't what it once was.

Mexican crews from Leawood, KS to North Kansas City invade our nice, clean Quik Trip stores here in KC and literally demolish their bathrooms. You want to talk about gross and disgusting hygiene! I know the management and behind the scenes of these high-grossing convenience stores and they'll tell ya...Mexicans are one step above animals! That's what you promote by your $8/hr labor, funneling to the "hardest workers" that this country has to offer. They don't even know how to hit the toilet...this comes straight from the personnel...let me put it nicely for the fans out there...as a general rule, Mexicans care less about their bathroom decorum than any group of folks going today. Why do I bring that up? Low wages + hard working desperate people = higher crime, lower wages for everyone, filth, lower property values, etc. Problems in a big way. You give a desperate third worlder pennies, they'll take 'em. Eventually, those pennies run out...and all you're surrounded by our illegal, uneducated, desperate people. Not the kind of country I want to live in.
I agree with some things in the 2nd paragraph. When the low level, low paying jobs dry up, crime will go through the roof. Nothing against illegals, it's just a fact that people are going to survive one way or another.

Last edited by Heavyduty1; 02-24-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I work for a Concrete Company in South Texas, there is a HUGE oil boom just starting up right now called the Eagle Ford Shale and its taking just about anyone with a CDL and hazmat or X endorsement. Most are paying $18.00 and up and all the over time you want. We have lost about 35 drivers and we just cant compete with that starting pay.So the company has been bring in drivers from the valley, they got them a house to stay in (pretty darn nice to boot) company pays all bills and insurance. Were averaging 65 to 70hrs a week if we could work more than 70 or I should say drive more than 70 we would. For right now we are glad thier here if we could only get about 30 more we could catch up, right now were about 4 months behind or 600,000 yards that need to be poured. We have one ranch owner that is haveing a 17 mile driveway put in 45ft wide,, that alone is a 1 to 2yr project. lots of little bridges and such, custom color for edges of concrete and some inlays.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The problem is the never ending cycle. You want to hire Americans and pay them more? Great! But your competitor is not. He has lower prices because he has cheaper labor. Customers are just as greedy as owners because its all about possessions. If I save $500 a year on lawn care, I can buy.......

Hispanics will account for almost 1/3 of the US population in the next couple of years. Why? Because its a numbers game. I wont have more than a few children because I want a better quality of life. They will sacrifice the quality of life a lot more and have a few extra kids.

Not that it justifies it, but most of them come from nothing. So having a car, a tv, an apartment or house is a luxury, even if it its split between them or not as nice as you would want it. My advice, dont have a job they can take, because they will
Old 02-24-2011, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can't converse with you any more, irritech.

Quote:
That's just a dumb statement. It's called innovation and it's been out there since this country was founded and continues daily. Just because the ideas aren't yours doesn't mean they are gone.

So get yourself some skills or live on what you can make, duh. Are you a broker?? or just a loan officer?? Again, MARKETABLE SKILLS. If you ain't got em you ain't workin.

It's called competition, if you can't compete, go get some MARKETABLE SKILLS and get a job. Or, stay on unemployment for years like the rest of the losers.
I feel like I'm talking to a teenager...boring me. You're the kind of guy I avoid at parties. You want to be opposite of every point made, fine with me. Gotta move on to others who pique my interest...
Old 02-24-2011, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with your points but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Lawn View Post
The problem is the never ending cycle. You want to hire Americans and pay them more? Great! But your competitor is not. He has lower prices because he has cheaper labor. Customers are just as greedy as owners because its all about possessions. If I save $500 a year on lawn care, I can buy.......

Hispanics will account for almost 1/3 of the US population in the next couple of years. Why? Because its a numbers game. I wont have more than a few children because I want a better quality of life. They will sacrifice the quality of life a lot more and have a few extra kids.

Not that it justifies it, but most of them come from nothing. So having a car, a tv, an apartment or house is a luxury, even if it its split between them or not as nice as you would want it. My advice, dont have a job they can take, because they will
I've seen what America is pumping out of high school these days...and colleges. Half of the population holds a job a lower wage Mexican laborer can or in a decade could fulfill. You look at all the jobs out there on the landscape, most of 'em aren't that skilled. Don't take offense to any of these comments if this is what you do for a living, just making a valid, provable point. OK. Let's just say these jobs don't take high end education to do. Roofers, lower end construction, concrete, asphalt, landscape, irrigation, bricklaying, stonework, restaurant, hospital labor, school staff, garbage and refuse, the list goes on and on. Eventually the Mexican labor will reach communication centers, phone service low end, troubleshooting, mid level hospital, low end tech, plumbing, electrical, auto mechanics, mid level commercial management, etc.

The dumbing down of American education + the rise of Mexican population within our borders has provided the opening. And the door has been kicked in, ladies and gentlemen. These are desperate souls here. They will work for nothing. Work hard for pennies...and return tomorrow bright and early for more. That's tough for some owners to turn away from.

The problem has no solution. I'll be dead and buried when it really overflows into "I can't recognize American anymore" phase. It's already there in some parts. I predict in 50 years time, mark it down if you're all still here, there will be a new America somewhere else on the planet that traditionalists seek out for their homeland. I believe America will be replaced by our lack of action when we had the chance and people will flock in droves to Australia, or wherever this new country is located. Sad forecast, to be sure, but people want law and order. People want wages that make sense. People want normal. And once the best things about our country are no longer worth the fight...they'll start the exodus that will last another 50 years. Sorry to say, that in a scant 100 years from now, none of us reading this post would be able to recognize our America. We wouldn't know what we're looking at. And you can say that it really started back in our lifetime...around 1990 or so...and we didn't do a damned thing about it.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cheap mexican labor helps you and the local convience store and thats it. So build up a huge lawn buisness and buy up a bunch of 7 elevens and your golden.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I feel like I'm talking to a teenager...boring me. You're the kind of guy I avoid at parties. You want to be opposite of every point made, fine with me. Gotta move on to others who pique my interest...
Such a typical response from idiots. You have no cohesive, intellectual argument so........

"I'm not going to talk to you anymore"