Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Which of the Following Does Your Company Use?
GPS For Company Vehicles 22 44.90%
Cell Phone 48 97.96%
Website 44 89.80%
Email to Clients, Employees, Suppliers 46 93.88%
Mobile Laptop, Printer 17 34.69%
Mobile Internet 30 61.22%
Text Messaging to Clients, Employees, Suppliers 39 79.59%
Online Based Lead Generation Services (Angie's List, Service Magic, etc.) 11 22.45%
Custom Typed & Printed Estimates / Quotes / Proposals 42 85.71%
Social Networking (Facebook, Foursquare, LinkedIn, etc.) 38 77.55%
SEO Tactics 16 32.65%
Pay-Per-Click Advertising Online 12 24.49%
Other Online Advertising 16 32.65%
YouTube / Videos of Your Company or Work 4 8.16%
Smart Phone Apps for Business 21 42.86%
Online Property Measuring Service 13 26.53%
Electronic Bookkeeping (e.g. Quickbooks) 42 85.71%
Electronic Calendar for Appointments 29 59.18%
Online Newsletters (e.g. Constant Contact) to Your Clients 7 14.29%
Blogging or Podcasts 9 18.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-21-2011, 01:07 PM
STL Ponds and Waterfalls's Avatar
STL Ponds and Waterfalls STL Ponds and Waterfalls is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: St.louis MO
Posts: 1,175
Where is the bed and kitchenette? The downfall of having a standard cab is no extra room.
__________________
St.louis Ponds and Waterfalls
"We bring life to your backyard"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-21-2011, 01:46 PM
JimLewis's Avatar
JimLewis JimLewis is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 6,394
Yah, I agree. That's why we never buy standard cabs for any of us in Mgmt. anymore. Actually, I'm buying mostly ext. cab trucks across the board now - even for crews. It's just nice to have that extra storage / seating behind the seats.

You can do it in a standard cab too. Just very tight quarters. They make some that will allow you to do it all from your passenger's seat - like this one;

.
__________________
Jim Lewis
Lewis Landscape Services - Oregon
"kickin' grass and takin' names"


www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-21-2011, 04:18 PM
GreenI.A.'s Avatar
GreenI.A. GreenI.A. is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North East
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Yah, I agree. That's why we never buy standard cabs for any of us in Mgmt. anymore. Actually, I'm buying mostly ext. cab trucks across the board now - even for crews. It's just nice to have that extra storage / seating behind the seats.

You can do it in a standard cab too. Just very tight quarters. They make some that will allow you to do it all from your passenger's seat - like this one;

.
I have an organizer simular to this one but I don't use a bettery operated printer, I have an inverter that I use to power the printer and charge the laptop. The only problem that I have is I'm a lefty so these tables don't help me much when writing anything up the old fashin way with pen and paper like when I'm drawing up irrigation plans. I usually have to switch over to the passenger side so that the console is on my writing side. I need a right side drive truck

But like Jim said, being able to print up the estimate right on site is a huge advantage, it gives you a chance to get hard numbers in the customers hand before they start to consider a cometitor. When the customer says it's a go, you can give them a printed contract right then and their when they are still excited about your pitch. You can be the best sales guy and offer the best services, but alot of that can fly out the window as soon as you drive away, then it is just the customer stareing at the quotes and trying to decide which is the best bang for their buck. Giving them an option to sign right then and their only adds to your success rate.
__________________
Why do people not respect us as they do other tradesmen? Because every Tom, Dick, and Harry doesn't think he can be a plumber or electrician!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-21-2011, 08:56 PM
vtscaper vtscaper is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Burlington VT
Posts: 157
great thread. i have thought for a couple of years now about using my laptop with a printer right in the truck for the smaller jobs. aside from it being a good sales tool for firming things up on the spot, i can see it being a huge time saver.

jim- thanks for the printer reviews..
__________________
Chris di Stefano
www.distefanolandscaping.com
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-22-2011, 10:34 AM
MDLawn MDLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,284
This is why I love this part of the forums (Hardscaping). Real information people can use and not just the back and forth bickering about useless information. Great info and that would be easier than having to run back and forth to have forms signed, etc... I'll have to look into one of those printers/laptop stands. I have a website that I have done myself with a limited program so it is limited a bit and many of yours are much better, but at least there is one for now. I also use Facebook with a business page. Probably wont work as well in a web search like a website will but its a good way to spread information. I had a few people that did not know I have a business and asked for some work. The more your name is out there the better, as long as its good info people are sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-22-2011, 02:03 PM
GreenI.A.'s Avatar
GreenI.A. GreenI.A. is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North East
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
This is why I love this part of the forums (Hardscaping). Real information people can use and not just the back and forth bickering about useless information. Great info and that would be easier than having to run back and forth to have forms signed, etc... I'll have to look into one of those printers/laptop stands. I have a website that I have done myself with a limited program so it is limited a bit and many of yours are much better, but at least there is one for now. I also use Facebook with a business page. Probably wont work as well in a web search like a website will but its a good way to spread information. I had a few people that did not know I have a business and asked for some work. The more your name is out there the better, as long as its good info people are sharing.
these are deffinetly the best threads. I don't use a battery operated printer, I just bought the smallest color one available from staples. I think I paid about $130 for it. The biggest investments were the power inverter, be sure to get a good one because you will find a million uses for it. Mine is large enough to run a hammer drill, recipicating saw. Or when we tailgate I can run a blender off of it. The stand was under $200
__________________
Why do people not respect us as they do other tradesmen? Because every Tom, Dick, and Harry doesn't think he can be a plumber or electrician!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 PM
SVA_Concrete's Avatar
SVA_Concrete SVA_Concrete is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
I have an organizer simular to this one but I don't use a bettery operated printer, I have an inverter that I use to power the printer and charge the laptop. The only problem that I have is I'm a lefty so these tables don't help me much when writing anything up the old fashin way with pen and paper like when I'm drawing up irrigation plans. I usually have to switch over to the passenger side so that the console is on my writing side. I need a right side drive truck

But like Jim said, being able to print up the estimate right on site is a huge advantage, it gives you a chance to get hard numbers in the customers hand before they start to consider a cometitor. When the customer says it's a go, you can give them a printed contract right then and their when they are still excited about your pitch. You can be the best sales guy and offer the best services, but alot of that can fly out the window as soon as you drive away, then it is just the customer stareing at the quotes and trying to decide which is the best bang for their buck. Giving them an option to sign right then and their only adds to your success rate.
i like the look of that organizer, any ideas on model/ online retailer? etc.
__________________
.
.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-22-2011, 07:26 PM
JimLewis's Avatar
JimLewis JimLewis is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 6,394
That organizer is here on Amazon. One link below is for the organizer, the second link is for the attachment for the printer.

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Office-...8420602&sr=8-3

.
http://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-Print...8420602&sr=8-4



.
__________________
Jim Lewis
Lewis Landscape Services - Oregon
"kickin' grass and takin' names"


www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM
GreenI.A.'s Avatar
GreenI.A. GreenI.A. is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North East
Posts: 2,052
I'm looking at it, and I think mine is the same exact one, I was able to order mine, the base and printer stand as one peice. They came in seperate boxes but was one part number. I ordered it from Stylinconcepts.com. I just looked they still sell it but without the printer stand. You can go to their site and go to "interior" then "mobile office/computer stands"
__________________
Why do people not respect us as they do other tradesmen? Because every Tom, Dick, and Harry doesn't think he can be a plumber or electrician!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-02-2011, 11:30 PM
matt spinniken's Avatar
matt spinniken matt spinniken is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Northern MI
Posts: 258
Any recommendations on a good power inverter? Ive never used an inverter for a laptop, it makes me nervous??
__________________
www.spinnikenlawn.com - Traverse City Sprinkler Systems

Our Facebook Page


A goal properly set is halfway reached - - Zig Ziglar
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 PM.

Page generated in 0.14228 seconds with 9 queries