Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro 22155 Light Duty Commercial 21" Mower..Easy to Push?

Just wondering if those of you using the push version of the toro light duty commercial 21" (Model #22155) find the more easy to push, especially when bagging wet grass. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

No "push" mower is going to be easy to push around if you're bagging damp/wet grass. Get a self propelled mower.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Get the 22156 its only like 200 bucks more, worth every penny.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Get the 22156 its only like 200 bucks more, worth every penny.
Thanks for the reply. I'm from your area too. Can you adjust the speed on that 22156. Toro's website states that the top speed is 3.1 mph. That seems slow. I'm trying to decide between this unit, the heavy duty 21" toro (22197) with the kawasaki engine, or perhaps even the toro 30".
Old 02-23-2013, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well...

I have both, a self-propelled Honda without a bag.
And a Murray push mower with a bag.

Seems to me all the self-propelled models are a bit slow once you get used to them, I can push my Honda at least as fast as it can go on its own... But I still like the traction, might not save me much but I can't argue that it doesn't help, I am sure it does, more so on hot days.

As for true push mowers, they lack the transmission and are thus a little bit lighter, in and of itself a true push mower isn't hard to move around, but I wouldn't try it with a bag... Wet grass in a bag could easily add 40 or 50 pounds to what would otherwise be a light machine, I'd think if you plan on bagging you wouldn't want anything but a self propelled mower.

Otherwise I could do either one, but once we get into bagging...
Self-propel, the only way, and I'd prefer real wheel drive too.

That's just my thoughts on it.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can't adjust the speed per-say but by feathering the speed bail you can, trust me its plenty quick, especially brand new, I think most self propelled mowers have about the same speed, maybe advertised differently but in reality probably all the same, most have the same brand of transmission. The 22156 is light, nimble cuts good in all modes (mulch/side/bag), any mower will struggle when mulching long wet grass, also bagging leaves it isn't the greatest but for grass its fine. Hope this helps, the 22156 is also my main mower, the heavy duty is very heavy, ruts soft lawns and isn't any faster.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
You can't adjust the speed per-say but by feathering the speed bail you can, trust me its plenty quick, especially brand new, I think most self propelled mowers have about the same speed, maybe advertised differently but in reality probably all the same, most have the same brand of transmission. The 22156 is light, nimble cuts good in all modes (mulch/side/bag), any mower will struggle when mulching long wet grass, also bagging leaves it isn't the greatest but for grass its fine. Hope this helps, the 22156 is also my main mower, the heavy duty is very heavy, ruts soft lawns and isn't any faster.
Thanks for the info. My dealer told me that the 22156 has the same deck as the homeowner super bagger which was discontinued last year. He told me that he felt it would bag leaves fine since the deck was designed for that.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is not the case, its more of a mulching deck, it side chutes very well, bagging is good for grass and is ok for leaves as long as there is some grass to cut along with the leaves. When the grass is really short it kind of fluters the leaves but bags most of them, also the leaves dont get chopped up very much so the bag fills up very quickly if there is alot of leaves. That aside it is a great all purpose mower. I typically clean-up the leaves in the fall and then do a final mow to get the remainder. As for it being a homeowner deck, yes that is kind of true but its heavy duty aluminum which is light weight, Ive had mine for many years and its still fine. You will hear lots of mixed reveiws on this mower and the super heavy duty one, also exmark makes a good mower, but in my opinion its too heavy and doesn't have a side chute, plus it costs more and has the same transmission as the 22156.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well I use the heavy duty version only mines not self propelled.

I don't find it hard to push at all. people these days get so use to the machine doing the work for them they get wimpy.

I have a backyard I use it on where the backyard takes me half an hour, 45 min just to mow it. that's bagging it

unless your exclusively using a 21 incher or strictly on hills I personally think self propelled is a waste of money.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
That is not the case, its more of a mulching deck, it side chutes very well, bagging is good for grass and is ok for leaves as long as there is some grass to cut along with the leaves. When the grass is really short it kind of fluters the leaves but bags most of them, also the leaves dont get chopped up very much so the bag fills up very quickly if there is alot of leaves. That aside it is a great all purpose mower. I typically clean-up the leaves in the fall and then do a final mow to get the remainder. As for it being a homeowner deck, yes that is kind of true but its heavy duty aluminum which is light weight, Ive had mine for many years and its still fine. You will hear lots of mixed reveiws on this mower and the super heavy duty one, also exmark makes a good mower, but in my opinion its too heavy and doesn't have a side chute, plus it costs more and has the same transmission as the 22156.
Thanks for the information. I just want something that bags wet grass decently in the spring and the fall too. I have a lawnboy commercial unit. It works great for side discharging but not so good for bagging grass in the spring or mulching. So, I was on the hunt for something that's half decent in wet spring grass and with leaves so that I can bag it. I have seen the exmark 21". They have gotten good reviews for bagging but not so much for mulching. I haven't been able to use one.