Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta View Post
joe mower, how tall can the grass be when you mulch with the walker mulch deck? can you mulch grass that is 6 or 7 in. tall leaving the base at 2.5? do you have to go slow to do this?
A Super B with a 52" mulch/rear discharge deck 6 or 7 inch grass is no problem. I have cut 18" grass before with the 42" mulch deck before but it took several passes to make it look right. I amazed my helpers when I did it. They were ready to go to town on this overgrown property with the SD walkbehinds and make a big mess when I told them to stand aside and watch (ie start trimming) while I eat it up with the walker. They said i couldn't do it and I must admit I was a bit surprised too. Definitely did a better job than letting it fly and just about as fast because the was no clean up or raking. Mulching works! You just have to understand how a mulching deck operates and train your guys how to do it. After as much rain we had in 2011 and we mulched everything with no problem... I'm sold!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Member

great thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemower View Post
This is how we do it. I had this truck built back in 2002 by a man Kansas for you Wichita guys. It's a pretty slick operation but for the past two years we have been getting away from collecting all the time. I've even considered selling this truck for if the right offer came around... I have seen an improvement in turf quality since we switch to mulching. Even though we had a great system to handle the clipping the cost of disposing of them got way too high. You fellow Walker guys should look into some of Walkers mulching decks. I have been using them for a few years now and have been impressed. We save a lot of money by mulching, the lawns have been healthier, and the quality of cut is still there. Sure its great to use a GHS for leaves but for the rest of the year were sticking with the mulching.
How much does something like that set ya back
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_mott85 View Post

Guys running walker mowers collect on a daily basis because thats what walker mowers do. To see a walker mower with the back lid up mowing all day makes me wonder why they spent the extra $5,000 on a mower that is designed to collect if they're not even collecting. But most of the ops you see doing that do collect leaves during the fall.
Reading a few threads around here leads me to believe the walkers will mulch quite well.

Why not sell the customer on the benefits of mulching during the grow season and bag(or mulch) during leaf season?
Old 01-25-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2TheGreenIndustry View Post
Reading a few threads around here leads me to believe the walkers will mulch quite well.

Why not sell the customer on the benefits of mulching during the grow season and bag(or mulch) during leaf season?
Very true. My area has a ton.of.Walker mowers. A few use.the.high lift.dump to actual dump bed. The rest.have a huge.pile of.wasted clippings in.the.front.of.their trailer. So many here are biased.against mulch.mowing. I will.often double cut to.avoid.bagging.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's funny how different areas of the country have different accepted methods that are considered normal. I've been doing this for a decade and I've never seen one LCO bag a single clipping.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 01-26-2013, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use my walker on almost all my accnts now. I use the big walker bags, put them un my enclosed trailer then dump them in my burn pile. I can get atleast three uses out of each bag. Unless i get lazy and throw them in the dumpster. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Made a ramp out of 2x8's works great... I have now adapted it to my pickup with dump insert
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC LAWN View Post
Made a ramp out of 2x8's works great... I have now adapted it to my pickup with dump insert
I like this setup, just not sure I'd be able to spare the trailer room. How far does it extend onto the deck of the trailer?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Member

5 feet but you can still use some of it... and there is room next to it.

Tags
dumping , ramps , trailer , walker