Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2011, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need help bidding a job

I got a call to look at a creek dredging job. The last flood in may 2010 washed alot of sediment down the creek. He wants the area marked in red dug out to the rock cliff and put back on the bank, raising the bank up higher and using the rocks for support of the bank. I realy have no idea on how to bid this, usualy I bid by the hour but his insurance company requests a total price bid. I am thinking of renting a JD 120 to use for this.

I tried to make this picture in paint with what I was talking about, but it doesent show up good. He wants the material cleared out all the way to the rock cliff to make the creek flow against the rock cliff and not cutting his bank out.

The creek is about 500 yards long, 10-15 ft wide. About 250 yards of the creek is filled in, the other half of the creek just needs straightened up. He thinks it will take two weeks, I say 2-3 days max.

Here are the rest of the pictures:

http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/icex2012/
Old 02-20-2011, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what does he want you to do with the trees?
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn View Post
what does he want you to do with the trees?
He is wanting to cut them himself and then have me dig the stumps out, but I think it would be better for me to bring them down with the excavator and move them were he wants them instead of digging the stumps all day long. I am guessing he will probaly lay them on the bank.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also would like to add that I am considering sloping the banks once done and stacking those rocks out of the creek on the bank like rip rap. If I was to do it this way should I use geotextile fabric, and if so were can you find it at?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icex View Post
I got a call to look at a creek dredging job. The last flood in may 2010 washed alot of sediment down the creek. He wants the area marked in red dug out to the rock cliff and put back on the bank, raising the bank up higher and using the rocks for support of the bank. I realy have no idea on how to bid this, usualy I bid by the hour but his insurance company requests a total price bid. I am thinking of renting a JD 120 to use for this.

I tried to make this picture in paint with what I was talking about, but it doesent show up good. He wants the material cleared out all the way to the rock cliff to make the creek flow against the rock cliff and not cutting his bank out.

The creek is about 500 yards long, 10-15 ft wide. About 250 yards of the creek is filled in, the other half of the creek just needs straightened up. He thinks it will take two weeks, I say 2-3 days max.

Here are the rest of the pictures:

http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/icex2012/
If he thinks it will take 2 weeks then do it in a week and charge a 135 a hr, that comes to 5400 for a week for 40 hours. I would just say 5500 and drag it out through out the week . Dont ever say 2-3 days max because that usually turns out to be a nightmare its a curse of the jobs .
Old 02-21-2011, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Or bid it by the yard.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoeman376 View Post
If he thinks it will take 2 weeks then do it in a week and charge a 135 a hr, that comes to 5400 for a week for 40 hours. I would just say 5500 and drag it out through out the week . Dont ever say 2-3 days max because that usually turns out to be a nightmare its a curse of the jobs .

That was a ball park number I was thinking also. I may have my 304 mini there also working so I was thinking a bid of 7000-8000 as at the end of his property line at the creek it is almost completely filled in and will take awhile to clean that area also.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Better get the government approval on this one. I took some trees out by a creek one time and the next thing I know was that a neighbor turned me into the army core of engineers, then we had to have a meeting with them on site, and look everything over. Thankfully everything was ok, but had I been in the creek doing any work they were going to fine me.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would price that job by the day, Dirtman has some really good pics on how he does bank repair work and what he uses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
Better get the government approval on this one. I took some trees out by a creek one time and the next thing I know was that a neighbor turned me into the army core of engineers, then we had to have a meeting with them on site, and look everything over. Thankfully everything was ok, but had I been in the creek doing any work they were going to fine me.
I figured I would need a permit. I wonder how hard it will be to get it approved for this job? It's flood prevention, so hopefully it will be pretty simple.