Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Big bidding problem

Im a scaper out of NJ and this winter has been really profiable with snow the bad thing is that i cant bid commercial properties or start looking at my residental customers yet because the snow is still covering alot of the the properties. I know other scapers must be having the same problems.

Its going to be balls the wall crazy come the end of march with how much bidding hasnt happend.
7x14 enclosed trailer for lawn maintenance crew
7x20 heavy equipment trailer for hardscaping crew
1 Bobcat
1 Bob cat back hoe ct230
Concret mixer

AND A HELL OF A LOT OF HEADACHES
Old 02-21-2011, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

right now I have 76 fert quotes ready to be filled out. I won't use the online services using satalites, I insist I see every job first to see what kind of condition they are in and look for any signs of past disease or insect damage. I'm hoping to get these run this week before any more calls start coming in
Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
right now I have 76 fert quotes ready to be filled out. I won't use the online services using satalites, I insist I see every job first to see what kind of condition they are in and look for any signs of past disease or insect damage. I'm hoping to get these run this week before any more calls start coming in
Even though, you can still look at the SAT images and start roughing out an estimate until you can look at them personally.

I would think that it makes your stops faster when you do finally go take a look at the properties.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I looked on google maps just to see how close they were clustered together to set up my routes for when I go look at them. Of course doing that gives me an idea if I am looking at a $50 an app lawn or a $150 an app lawn. But I wont fill out the quote with anything more than the owners contact information untill I get out there and see it with my own eyes and measure it
Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I mean i guess you could go out and do the sq ft. estimate for ferts but how the hell are you going give a estimate unless you know whats under the snow thats what im getting at.

And I know of a few competetors bidding for spring clean ups and i just think its stupid because you could really loose you shirt when you find out whats underneath those big snow mounds.
7x14 enclosed trailer for lawn maintenance crew
7x20 heavy equipment trailer for hardscaping crew
1 Bobcat
1 Bob cat back hoe ct230
Concret mixer

AND A HELL OF A LOT OF HEADACHES
Old 02-21-2011, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

exactly, pack 6 or seven years ago I was working for one of the national fert companies, I wont say who, but it was not tg/cl. They had us running estimates when there was 8" of snow on the ground because every other region in the company was out there doing it. Too many customers said no, simply because how could they trust us, we were giving prices with out nowing if we were looking at a large turf lawn or one with tons of empty annual beds or flat patios. looking on line gives me an idea but from that or the snow covered lawn I have no clue of the conditions I am starting with. My house on Go I-lawn is a photo from about two years ago, i can see the truck that was totaled years ago sitting in the drive. The only way to be truelly accurate is for me to see it first hand
Old 02-21-2011, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i just had a chance to bid on a set of chain stores, and with all the snow i couldnt see the beds and turf. the deadline was saturday and i let it go. im not going to undercut myself. what i will do is when the snow melts i will go and look and be ready for next time it is up for bid. it sucks but thats life in the northeast. at least the ice fishing is still good! lol
2003 scag turf tiger liquid cooled 61
2005 scag tiger cub 48
2007 exmark turf tracer 60 hydro
2006 exmark viking 36 hydro
3 echo trimmers
2 echo backpack blowers
1 redmax extended hedge trimmer
1 stihl hedge trimmer