Register free!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What brand reel for Bermuda/paspalum/zoysia

For the vets what do you recommend and why?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2011, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

TruCut P series. These mowers have variable travel speed and on the fly HOC adjustment. I know some people do not like these mowers. They want either a rotary mower or a $15,000 greensmower. I have not seen problems with the quality of cut provided whoever services the mower does not spin grind without reestablishing the relief angles. Same is true if the mower is ever backlapped. The relief angles need to be maintained.

The reputable businesses in my area that mow those grasses all use TruCut reels. I do the spraying on those lawns. I can tell if the mower has been spin ground only by how the leaf tips are ripped. Unfortunately, most operations do not use my preferred set up: a front roller and a rear roller drive instead of the usual drive wheel on the side.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
For the vets what do you recommend and why?
Posted via Mobile Device
Diamond

Our Local Golf Course are using a 7 gang mower made up of Articulating 21 inch rotary mowers to cut Fairways. it pretty much rolls with the turf. From what little Experience I have on Athletic turf, I have seen a good Rotary mower out perform a not so good reel mower and do just as good as a Triplex Reel mower. My own Yard is Bermuda and my 1997 42" Walker mower does a fine job on my yard. Sharp blades and level deck is all it takes.

PS IMHO mowing Greens at 0.10 of an inch and lower takes a Reel mower. But mowing homeowner lawns at 2 inches and higher doesn't

BTW Reel Mower are a PITA to maintain. Even back lapping the reel takes some skill. Don't even ask what a good reel grinder costs or the skill needed to operate it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Green a lot if companies around here use 21" rotaries on empire zoysia and I have even seen companies use them on bermuda. You CAN cut empire with a 21" rotary, but the reel leaves the professional cut. Thanks for the input.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2011, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ric I wouldn't do the maintenance myself on a reel, I would take it to a pro. Yea, I can sharpen the blades on my rotary but I wouldn't attempt it on a reel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2011, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it is true that a rotary can be used on bermuda, seashore paspalum and zoysia. Do I or my clients like how their lawn looks when that is done. No! What is expected is a short, <1" clean cut with no circular marks left in the lawn. The frayed tips left by a rotary are also a no. The way to get this without going through a lot of gymnastics is with a reel mower. It is true that I used to use a rotary mower to cut at 1" on my own bermuda lawn at home. However, the blade was sharpened on an oilstone after every other cut and the wheels were removed, replaced by weighted rollers on front and back. The cut was almost as good as a reel, but I could still see circles.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Green I didnt say I agree with it, just that a lot of companies around here do it. To me it is the same principle between using felcos to prune ornamentals vs using a trimmer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for clearing that up. Around here, the homeowner should be glad if a mower of any kind is actually used. The usual is to do the entire lawn with a weedeater. Now, that is a practice I cannot stand. I do full maintenance on a few accounts that are too small for me to sub out the mowing. I will not use string to cut the grass. I use a trimmer with counter rotating blades. That is another point, I cannot see the sense of going through the ceremony of a reel mower and the edges get trimmed with string when there is a better tool for the job. I also hate seeing the edges of driveways and sidewalks not being trimmed with a bladed edger.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, that is pathetic. A lot of guys will do that here too on areas with little turf. Me, I'll take the 21" and make it look good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2011, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I will use the machine with counter rotating blades. No fraying or circular marks. The cut is just as good as a properly adjusted reel. The killer is the price. Most mowing guys cannot imagine spending $750 on a trimming machine.