Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2011, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Azaleas in 9b/10a

Any guys that live in these zones using azaleas with good success? What cultivars? Are you experiencing any problems? I know they like acidic soils so obviously nutrient def. would be a problem on alkaline sites....
Old 02-21-2011, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Any guys that live in these zones using azaleas with good success? What cultivars? Are you experiencing any problems? I know they like acidic soils so obviously nutrient def. would be a problem on alkaline sites....
Diamond

I am not sure what your problem is. I plant them on the East side of the house for morning sun and afternoon shade. Fertilize them with a acid forming fertilizer. My soil is 9.5 pH naturally, But then it is a calcareous sand. If I can grow them in those condition anyone should be able to grow them.

PS a Quick Trick is to put a cup to a pint of white vinegar in a gallon and water the azaleas fooling them into believing they are is acid soil. But don't do it more than once a week or LESS.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ric I was asking a general question meaning I haven't tried them yet and was wondering about results in these zones as you don't see them a lot here in S. Florida. Thanks for the input.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I maintain azaleas in zone 11. Most of the soil here is 7+. The keys to keeping azaleas under these conditions are to limit P, use acid forming fertilizers as Ric said, include micronutrients and try to acidify the soil. I have started using food grade citric acid to deal with my soil problems. I apply 1 lb per 1000 sq ft in enough water to apply, followed by irrigation or 1/2 lb per 100 gallons as a drench.

I do have my share of powdery mildew and leaf spot diseases if it rains or is cool and damp. Otherwise when it is warm, azalea lacebugs and spider mites come out in hordes.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-21-2011, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The hardiest azaleas in warm areas seem to be the Rhododendron indicums, commonly known as Satsuki azaleas. They are at their best in partial shade.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lavendar Formosa is very tough, I also like Duc De Rohan and Louis Taber. I have alway had lots of problems with Red Ruffle over time. Spider Mites are the biggest insect problem. Do not plant close to concrete structures or walks if possible.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also well drained soil is important, they don't like to dry out but don't like to sit in water either. I had this problem at one clients house and I brought in sand, compost, horse manure and peat and built two small burms in the front of the house and the Azaleas have done much better than in the past.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Lavendar Formosa is very tough, I also like Duc De Rohan and Louis Taber. I have alway had lots of problems with Red Ruffle over time. Spider Mites are the biggest insect problem. Do not plant close to concrete structures or walks if possible.
I tell people red ruffles are annuals If you get them to last and flourish year after year, you must have planted them when the stars were perfectly aligned. If people have their hearts set on ruffles, I try to talk them into Pinks.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Azaleas aren't real popular in my area. They're never fertilized properly and or are installed in poor conditions. My experience with them is mostly ripping them out and replacing them with something different.

Come to think of it my nursery doesn't even sell azaleas.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
Azaleas aren't real popular in my area. They're never fertilized properly and or are installed in poor conditions. My experience with them is mostly ripping them out and replacing them with something different.

Come to think of it my nursery doesn't even sell azaleas.
Which I could say the same......they are a home owners favorite here...unfortunately the outcome is generally not good and the results are much like you explain.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!