Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2011, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondmeister View Post
Why an external? May I ask what brand of Submersible you use. Let's face it a lot of submersibles are equivalent to boat anchors!
I'm not sure who actually makes them but I use Big Frog pumps from Anjon. They have been good for at least 3 years since I switched to them. I just don't like externals for small simple builds. They both have thier place I just prefer subs for my builds. Even though I'd rather have my teeth pulled instead of having to tell customers thier sub-pump died and will cost $XXX to replace it.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
From my understanding, Restricting the flow on a pump actually increases the life of the pump. There is a smaller volume, hence less weight, of water to push. Submersibles you can ratchet down fairly low; externals, on the other hand, may run into a problem with loss of prime depending on how much you throttle back and height distance from water.

I know of a 7500 gph submersible that is cut back to about 25% flow and has been running like this for over 6 years, which is pretty good life for any pump.
The question or statement I have would be the of the word "restricted". All pumps are rated in the perfect setting. If it wasn't a problem then why are there flow friction charts for sizing. Then the question is cutting back on suction or pressure side or both? I agree a 6 yr sub is great....but how many of those do you have?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Ponds and Waterfalls View Post
I'm not sure who actually makes them but I use Big Frog pumps from Anjon. They have been good for at least 3 years since I switched to them. I just don't like externals for small simple builds. They both have thier place I just prefer subs for my builds. Even though I'd rather have my teeth pulled instead of having to tell customers thier sub-pump died and will cost $XXX to replace it.
I agree to the teeth pulled scenario, along with the simple builds. It's nice on externals to be able give the option of rebuilt or new on the motors.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The question or statement I have would be the of the word "restricted". All pumps are rated in the perfect setting. If it wasn't a problem then why are there flow friction charts for sizing. Then the question is cutting back on suction or pressure side or both?I really don't understand what you are saying. I agree a 6 yr sub is great....but how many of those do you have?
I know of several 4 & 5 year old submersibles. I also know of many that go on the fritz within a year. A lot depends on whether are no they are "solids handling". I am also referring to direct drive pumps. The mag drives are practically indestructable. If they do go out, it usual means replacing the impeller shaft and they are back up running.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Valves in front of the pump (suction) restriction or after back (pressure)
Old 02-22-2011, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Valves in front of the pump (suction) restriction or after back (pressure)
I can't imagine putting a valve on the intake line of an external pump. Any restriction of flow on the intake makes it harder for the pump to function and could result in overheating and eventually failure. The only scenario that I can think of were this would be applicable would be on an above ground pond where the pump is below the pond's water level. A valve on the intake side would be appropriate to be used to close the line during emptying of the leaf basket/skimmer pot, but only with the pump turned off.

Last edited by tadpole; 02-22-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

This is where the pool technology meets the pond's.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Old 02-22-2011, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I know configurations such as this are functional, but they always looked 'Rube Goldberg' to me.

In the early days of pond construction, it was thought that pool technology could be adapted and it still is to a point in the construction of Koi Ponds. It was quickly learned that, in the case of eco-system ponds, that the end desired result was so completely different that pool technology was applicable only in a very basic sort of way. Instead of preventing the growth of bacteria, algae and microorganisms, it was necessary to promote their growth. Today, other than each having A pump, A skimmer and A filter, there is no resemblance in the technology at all.

Last edited by tadpole; 02-22-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to build these to be nice looking and the big pool pumps just don't fit the bill, to much work to hide them.