Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2011, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Ipad in the summer

I have an ipad that Id like to use for getting signatures for commercial accounts when I have finished them to have a record that I was there and the signature proving it. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as how to keep it cool enough in the truck during the day in the summer not to overheat? I have heard you can put it in a cooler with one of those things that you put in the freezer that keeps it cold but when you take it out of that into the heat it creates condensation and if you know about Ipads, them and condensation dont mix. So if anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTM42 View Post
I have an ipad that Id like to use for getting signatures for commercial accounts when I have finished them to have a record that I was there and the signature proving it. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as how to keep it cool enough in the truck during the day in the summer not to overheat? I have heard you can put it in a cooler with one of those things that you put in the freezer that keeps it cold but when you take it out of that into the heat it creates condensation and if you know about Ipads, them and condensation dont mix. So if anybody has any ideas I would appreciate it.
Just sign a statement page and scan it when you get back to the office? Why risk it? Computers and lawn care on services routes don't mix. Now if you are doing estimations - great, but in a truck in the heat - why?
Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have mine in the truck in the mid summer heat here without an issue. I just put it in the console and out of the sunlight. My Console doesn't get that hot. I will check this summer with a thermometer I bet its only like 100. I also carry my netbook in there as well sometimes when the wife uses the ipad to read.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The ipad is no different then the Iphone. And I keep that in the truck/ pocket/ anywhere that is not a great place for it and it works just fine.

A good story that just happend to me, I lost my Iphone 3gs while I was digging out a car that was stuck in the snow behind my shop. Our snow melted and I found it in the grass behind my shop 3 weeks later. It sat in the snow and mud for 4 weeks. It had water dripping out of it, took it apart and dried it out. And to my amazement it started up and works just like new.

I have since bought a iphone 4 and gave the one I found to my dad. It works perfect and I was able to get all my photos and crap back THANK GOD!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh. I thought the iPad was so cool that it would lower the temperatures inside a vehicle in direct sunlight with closed windows.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K/B View Post
Oh. I thought the iPad was so cool that it would lower the temperatures inside a vehicle in direct sunlight with closed windows.
I bet there is an app for that!
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My iPad would over heat sometimes but not often. Judging by the "low temp" that seems to indicated an "over temp" warning...I assume it's just that, a warning and you are more than likely not doing damage to the iPad when it says that. It's a built in safety. However, keep it out of the sunlight, and you should be fine, crack the windows on a really hot day.

I'm buying another for my crews to use with SAP. I was just going to get the an iPhone, but if you add up the service cost, it's cheaper to get an iPad with limited Internet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2011, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I also use SAP and love it. Looking to get an I Pad. Which model and plan do you recommend for use with this program. Thanks

P.s. I have Verizon as my network
Old 02-24-2011, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHUSTLER View Post
I bet there is an app for that!
there is, haven't you seen the onstar commercial linking your I-phone to lock/unlock, remote start
Old 03-08-2011, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im going to use virgin mobile android phone for my crew to use SAP. Only 25 bucks amonth for unlimited internet and 300 anytime min
Posted via Mobile Device