Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-22-2011, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Critique this Marketing Strategy

I am at the point right now, where I am satisfied with the # of lawns I have, but would be willing to pick up some more if they are extremely close to my house.

My neighborhood has about 90 houses in it. I service 9 of them on a regular basis. I have been servicing almost all of these accounts for 5+ years. Out of the 90 houses maybe 15 or so I would not want (small gate, steep inclines, etc.).

I've grown up in the neighborhood my whole life so people know who I am which is a good "in".

This brings me to my idea...

I recently had my logo redesigned by Bob over at Plan It Graphics (an awesome job by the way!). What I was thinking about doing is going door to door in my neighborhood and speaking with each of the homeowners (many of which it will be a good time to reconnect with them).

I plan on having some type of zip lock bag with the following items in it: a couple of my new business cards, a magnet, a pen with my logo info on it, and best of all.... a $10 gift card.

Either attached to the bag, or inside of it will be a short typed message from me introducing myself again (emphasizing the fact that I have been working in the neighborhood for 5 plus years, giving them my contact info, etc. I have the early draft of this set up at the moment, it still needs some minor tweeking.

The gift card is, imo, my ace in the hole, so to speak
My thinking here is I can do the "norm" of 1 free cut, 10% off your first month, etc. etc. but I think if I give people a $10 gift card they will think very differently of it.

Think to yourself, if you get any of the mentioned promotions above, most you will just put off or not act on the promotion, but if you have a gift card, (a.k.a. free money to spend), people will be more likely to use it.

Anyways, I'm thinking best case scenario I pick up some new accounts. Even if I don't necessarily pick up that many accounts, I will have reinforced rapport with everyone in my neighborhood which should increase the odds they will call me if they need any lawn care needs (especially if they have my magnet on their refrigerator, a couple business cards sitting around, and a gift card).

One thought that has crossed my mind is do I give my current customers in the neighborhood the $10 gift certificate? On one hand, it makes sense that I don't as I could say it was geared towards obtaining new customers.

On the other hand, I don't want them to somehow be talking with a neighbor and feel like I am screwing them over by not giving them one. To complicate things even more, this is the first time in 5 years I was thinking about increasing rates by a small proportion (Ex. $3 increase on the $30 lawns). Now if I give them the gift card they might think I am trying to compensate for the price increase... I doubt it, but I figure I should look at any possibilities.

Ok, let's hear some feedback. I'm ready
Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ba bump bump bump bump
Old 02-23-2011, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would maybe increase the amount of the gift card. $10 is nice, but i think you will have a little better success with maybe a $20 giftcard. And I would also give it to your existing clients too. It will just show your appreciation. Good luck, let us know how it goes
Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would not worry to much about you old customers getting upset. I would just say that I am trying to keep their cost down by adding more new customers in the same area and it is just for new customers who come on board for the season. By having more customers in one area, it cuts down on drive time/mileage. This way you can keep their cost down.

Oh yeah, Bob does great work. he did my logo, business cards and my door hangers...

You will have to post the proofs on here so we can see...
Old 02-23-2011, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would do this...

1) I would increase it to a $25 gift card (basically one free cut...right?).

2) I would give them to your current customers but i would change the letter you give them, i would thank them for their business and i would still give them the gift card.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-23-2011, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd definitely give them to your current customers - the happier they are, the more your business will grow. There's nothing as powerful as a referral, and the first people they'll tell are the most relevant, their neighbors.

IMO $10 seems like a nice amount, but who can argue with $25 being better than $10? only your wallet I guess just depends on your budget though
Old 02-23-2011, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Century Landscape View Post
I'd definitely give them to your current customers - the happier they are, the more your business will grow. There's nothing as powerful as a referral, and the first people they'll tell are the most relevant, their neighbors.

IMO $10 seems like a nice amount, but who can argue with $25 being better than $10? only your wallet I guess just depends on your budget though
If you expect to spend more than you will get back, is this really a good idea? I'd think by making your customers happy, they'd be willing to give you more work, therefor paying back that $25 very quickly.
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How bout $25 to current customers,, and $10 to newbie's?

Gravely ZT XL 48" 24hp Kawasaki
Husqvarna 48" Belt drive W/ETS W/Pro-slide
21 White W/bagger
Toro 4 Stroke B/P blower
Toro Split shaft trimmer
assorted attachments 5x8 trailer
94 ECLB 6.5 K2500 Chevy ~ SnoWay 8ft plow
Old 02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes

I would not talk with them door to door, I would put out the add every month in your farm area and you will be proud of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowingMowingMowing View Post
I am at the point right now, where I am satisfied with the # of lawns I have, but would be willing to pick up some more if they are extremely close to my house.

My neighborhood has about 90 houses in it. I service 9 of them on a regular basis. I have been servicing almost all of these accounts for 5+ years. Out of the 90 houses maybe 15 or so I would not want (small gate, steep inclines, etc.).

I've grown up in the neighborhood my whole life so people know who I am which is a good "in".

This brings me to my idea...

I recently had my logo redesigned by Bob over at Plan It Graphics (an awesome job by the way!). What I was thinking about doing is going door to door in my neighborhood and speaking with each of the homeowners (many of which it will be a good time to reconnect with them).

I plan on having some type of zip lock bag with the following items in it: a couple of my new business cards, a magnet, a pen with my logo info on it, and best of all.... a $10 gift card.

Either attached to the bag, or inside of it will be a short typed message from me introducing myself again (emphasizing the fact that I have been working in the neighborhood for 5 plus years, giving them my contact info, etc. I have the early draft of this set up at the moment, it still needs some minor tweeking.

The gift card is, imo, my ace in the hole, so to speak
My thinking here is I can do the "norm" of 1 free cut, 10% off your first month, etc. etc. but I think if I give people a $10 gift card they will think very differently of it.

Think to yourself, if you get any of the mentioned promotions above, most you will just put off or not act on the promotion, but if you have a gift card, (a.k.a. free money to spend), people will be more likely to use it.

Anyways, I'm thinking best case scenario I pick up some new accounts. Even if I don't necessarily pick up that many accounts, I will have reinforced rapport with everyone in my neighborhood which should increase the odds they will call me if they need any lawn care needs (especially if they have my magnet on their refrigerator, a couple business cards sitting around, and a gift card).

One thought that has crossed my mind is do I give my current customers in the neighborhood the $10 gift certificate? On one hand, it makes sense that I don't as I could say it was geared towards obtaining new customers.

On the other hand, I don't want them to somehow be talking with a neighbor and feel like I am screwing them over by not giving them one. To complicate things even more, this is the first time in 5 years I was thinking about increasing rates by a small proportion (Ex. $3 increase on the $30 lawns). Now if I give them the gift card they might think I am trying to compensate for the price increase... I doubt it, but I figure I should look at any possibilities.

Ok, let's hear some feedback. I'm ready

We Only Cut Grass . com

Lurch
Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemelo216 View Post
I would maybe increase the amount of the gift card. $10 is nice, but i think you will have a little better success with maybe a $20 giftcard. And I would also give it to your existing clients too. It will just show your appreciation. Good luck, let us know how it goes
This is true. I think I will include both my current customers as well. Maybe up it to $20 for new people and a smaller amount for current. Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch01 View Post
I would not talk with them door to door, I would put out the add every month in your farm area and you will be proud of yourself.
Farm area? Lol no farm area around here.