Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-12-2002, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Lesco Z-Two 60" ZTR

Considering a Lesco Z-Two 60" w/ 25 HP Kawasaki to replace a tired Scag rider. Dealer priced it at $5995. Expected hrs/yr usage will be about 150 (i.e., not much). I know Lesco gets some negative press on this site (especially the older Viper series). Anyone own a Z-Two and care to comment, positively or negatively? Anything else I should be considering?

Kurt
Old 09-12-2002, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a reason the mower is so inexpensive. It is not nearly the same machine as the Scag it is replacing. I looked at a brandnew one about 2 weeks ago and I wasn't impressed. I couldn't find the hydro filter although I'm sure it has one. In this day and age when all of the manufacturers are putting heavy duty air cleaners on ZTRs the Lesco still had the same cheesy light duty air cleaner. And God help you if one of those wheel transmissions (it doesn't have wheel motors and pumps like everybody else) goes up. I bet those suckers go for around $700 or $800 a piece. But, you get what you pay for.

Old 09-12-2002, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to LS....

The 2nd Gen. Vipers are supposed to be a lot better than the first run. I have a first run Viper. There were some bugs but they were taken care of at N/C and I always got a loaner to use.(If I needed it.)
The hydro filter on mine is right behind the seat. You'd have to be blind to miss it.
Easy to work on. I beat the daylights out of mine and it keeps going.
Funny about the pumps. Mine has a pump on each drive wheel.
Must have been a glitch in the line when they put them together.
To each his own.
I have two OUTSTANDING Lesco centers to go to and they both take care of me.
JMO.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

The New Z Two

If it means anything to you, I have been selling equipment for LESCO for the past 10 years and this new Z Two has been a great product launch for us big time. Not sure of the number that we have sold across the country but here in WNY we have sold well over 50 units YTD and that's out of one location where it snows 5 out of 12 months of the year.

The new Z Two mower handled the wet relentless spring excellent. The biggest issue was clutch adjustments and that was no fault of LESCO's just plain wear and tear. We sell most of our mowers with PECO baggers and they handled the HEAVY WET KB grass excellent. There has been no down time for our customer base to speak of.

I will admit that we did make some big changes from the first year launch of the viper. There is a hydro filter on the Z two and it is in the same place that it has been since day one behind the seat. The deck is a new design and the drive system is very much an industry standard (separate pumps and wheel motors) By the way if it means anything we have not had to write ONE warranty on the drive system YTD none less the entire unit.

I would put our new z two up against any competitive unit any day. As for the air cleaner system if you feel that makes or breaks a unit there are aftermarket filitration systems that can be added we tryed them and found the Kaw OEM to be just fine.

Take the unit out for a day and try it, what the heck do you have to lose? Im sure you will be impressed with the great cut of this unit.

Report back as others Im sure would like to hear the results

Good Luck !!

Phil
Old 09-12-2002, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

From what I saw at a glance a few months back.

They have the same 12-12-24 tires the Exmark Lazer, Hustler Z/Supper Z and some others use.

They got rid of the stamped deck, added more support to it also.

Why they added a weight to the back has got me,(maybe to much down pressure on the front castors) could be a design flaw that was overlooked in the layout stage.

They are really tight to work on.

Overall ok mower, but for price you get what you pay for.

Speed; slow to where the industry is heading.

I know a few guys who have the older ones and they are happy with them so far, but they have never tried any other mowers out there.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

gabster,

Kawasaki 23&25 HP have problems with the carbs. I have a 25HP, 170 hours and the carb was replaced yesterday. The stock air filter is very poor and expensive. The plastic thumb knobs with the nuts pressed in that hold the air filter cover on pull out very easy also. I up graded mine to a Donaldson at 50 hours, its like night and day.
Gene
Old 09-13-2002, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Gabster. Where are you located in Texas? Not many of us log on here.
I have 3 new Lesco wb and I love them. The service is the best with these guys. 75% of the LC's where I'm located use Lesco.
I will never buy anything else as far as the big machines go except a Lesco or an Exmark. I demoed an Exmark and loved it.
Anyway, make sure you demo whatever you buy and also consider how close the product is to your location. It helps when needing parts or service. I know one of the Lesco dealers here in Houston will let you take a demo if your mower is getting warranty work done. Pretty cool, huh? Good luck and let us know.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well let me tell you what. If that mower has a wheel motor on it then it is the biggest wheel motor I've ever seen. I might also note that there was no contradiction as to the price of the "wheel motor" which was the whole point I was trying to make. Expensive to replace if need be.

Old 09-13-2002, 05:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

kinda wish i could get a first hand look at a lescos full store. ive never seen anything but a few lesco products in my area of nc.ive got the catalogue.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I demoed a Lesco 48" hydro 17hp Kawi electric start about two weeks ago, for three days. IMHO there is some improvements to be made but I feel it would be a good backup mower for the price of $3400.00.