Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-23-2011, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

thats great. You get that many dumps with a charge wire from the truck. Whats your turn around time?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I apparently have the same dump trailer as you- 2010 LoadTrail 7x14 14k.

I have gotten as little as 3 dumps and as much as 6 dumps depending on the load. I thought the battery would have stayed charged thru the plug.... Bought some wire and a high current quick connect to make a charge plug that will be able to be connected while running loads AND dumping so there will be no limit to dumps per day.

For what I do, I would never get a bigger dump truck again. At least till I needed something 33K or higher on an almost daily basis.

I had an F450 Dump, for me it was useless. Had an International 33K GVW single axle Dump, for me it was less than useless if there is such a thing.

Let me know when you want to sell the LoadTrail cheap. I'll run up 66 and grab it. LOL.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive had a few dump trailers and I could dump them all day long non stop as long as it was plugged into the truck. Ive never had to charge/jump one of them and if I did I would have sold them.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkWelding View Post
I apparently have the same dump trailer as you- 2010 LoadTrail 7x14 14k.

I have gotten as little as 3 dumps and as much as 6 dumps depending on the load. I thought the battery would have stayed charged thru the plug.... Bought some wire and a high current quick connect to make a charge plug that will be able to be connected while running loads AND dumping so there will be no limit to dumps per day.

For what I do, I would never get a bigger dump truck again. At least till I needed something 33K or higher on an almost daily basis.

I had an F450 Dump, for me it was useless. Had an International 33K GVW single axle Dump, for me it was less than useless if there is such a thing.

Let me know when you want to sell the LoadTrail cheap. I'll run up 66 and grab it. LOL.

lol, I'll probably keep it even after I get a dump truck, worst case I get a jumper pak but my truck has no charge wire to the plug so thats first. Where did you buy your load trail? I dont see many but its the most stout 7 ton Ive seen. I like it besides the 2 dumps part.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Got mine from Trailers LLC in Cairo. I looked at all the others around (BigTex, BriMar, CAM, few others I forgot) and liked that one the best. I just wish it had 8 ton axles & 17.5" wheels. That would be near perfect.

Used it to pick up my Bobcat 337 in December last year. Hauled it home from Maryland just fine. Had the excavator with one bucket and the thumb in the trailer. 3 extra buckets and the doors from the trailer in my dump insert. You could say we were loaded down pretty good...
Old 02-24-2011, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
yes you can do that. Im planning on doing it with my truck but Id still like to know how much the deep cycle batt should be good for.
It all depends on what pumps and cylinders you have. I know the dumps I have used were continues and were always charged.

I would say that your pumps are slow and there for use a large amount of juice. Try upgrading that deep cell.

There's a brand that is cheap and very decent quality my brother uses them, I'll have to get the name. Don't waste time on optima yellow tops, optima sucks for the money.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

There is also a better battery than a deep cycle type. It is like a forklift battery. Higher capacity than any deep cycle. I put one of those on my dump trailer, rewired it with 2/0 gauge wire from ground to bat, bat to selinoid and there to pump. I have got 6 8K dumps out of mine and still had enough power to get it in the air to clean it out at the end of the day. I had mine hooked to the truck with the old battery. It kept blowing fuses in the truck so I took it off. I bought a bigger amp/hour trickle charger and installed it on the trailer. With my inverter in the truck I can charge it all inboard now. Go to a battery store, I like Interstate, they know what you should use and how to do it. -Jason
Old 02-24-2011, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guys you should get 30 /40 dumps from a trailer.
I have had a trailer sitting in the cold since New Years .
full of trash .
Every day or 2 we would drop the box to load trash , then raise it at night to keep the snow off .
We must have 3 tons in there now .
What you need to do is kill the battery dead Then charge it up full .
Then kill it again dead and give it a long slow charge .
This should either kill the battery all together or burn the crud off the lead plates so the battery will take a full charge .
You shouldn't dump the trailers with a low batteries off the truck charge wire it could blow a fuse or burn the wire up .
You should charge the battery's every few months just to keep them in good condition .
Most all of the trailers have a power plug , all you need to do is run a fused 10 gage wire from the battery . John
Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a Bri-Mar Dump Trailer that I bought used a few years ago. I found the same problem. I would start with all of your connections, make sure they are clean, protected and tight. Try heavier wire for your positive as well.

I also add a 4 gauge "Direct Charge" (with a fuse) from the battery of my truck. (You can get these supplies from an auto supply or AW Direct.) As long as you only dump the trailer with the truck running, you will never hurt the truck's battery and never run out of FAST dumping ability.

I would never trade my dump trailer for a "T-tag" size, its cheaper to own and my capacity is better than any small dump truck.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Member

"We must have 3 tons in there now . "
I think we are talking about loads double that weight.

"What you need to do is kill the battery dead Then charge it up full .
Then kill it again dead and give it a long slow charge .
This should either kill the battery all together or burn the crud off the lead plates so the battery will take a full charge ."
Sorry, I don't buy that at all for any lead acid battery. I have run my battery as dead as I feel comfortable and slow charged it with an intelligent electronic charger for weeks. It still will not dump more than 4 or 5 full capacity loads-5 to 6 tons.

" You shouldn't dump the trailers with a low batteries off the truck charge wire it could blow a fuse or burn the wire up ."
If you have done your wiring properly this is not an issue and the trailer battery will never be low. Unless you're referring to the charge wire in the trailer harness. Than I completely agree.

" You should charge the battery's every few months just to keep them in good condition ."
The Load Trail trailers both 4 seasons and I have come with electronic chargers that can be left unattended for long periods to keep the battery at full charge.