Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotdiesel2 View Post
There is also a better battery than a deep cycle type. It is like a forklift battery. Higher capacity than any deep cycle. I put one of those on my dump trailer, rewired it with 2/0 gauge wire from ground to bat, bat to selinoid and there to pump. I have got 6 8K dumps out of mine and still had enough power to get it in the air to clean it out at the end of the day. I had mine hooked to the truck with the old battery. It kept blowing fuses in the truck so I took it off. I bought a bigger amp/hour trickle charger and installed it on the trailer. With my inverter in the truck I can charge it all inboard now. Go to a battery store, I like Interstate, they know what you should use and how to do it. -Jason
The battery that came in my trailer is an Interstate. It is wired with appropriate size cabling for the job. I can for sure get 6 8K dumps out of it. But for sure can't get 6 14K dumps out of it. If I were to forego the charging cable from my trucks pair of batteries to the dump trailer, I would definitely look into industrial batteries for the dump trailer.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You probably aren't interested or close enough but I'm selling a new Deka 8A8D deep cycle battery for $300, it's a $600 battery. 1,450 cold cranking amps. It weighs 160lbs lol.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think they sell something like that for people hauling boats. look into basspro,cabelas or gander mountain. im not 100% but i think it goes from youre alltenator to the battery on youre trailer. also i know harbor freight sells a solar charger, you might be abel to mount that to the trailer. or get a new battery and keep a spare with u.
2003 scag turf tiger liquid cooled 61
2005 scag tiger cub 48
2007 exmark turf tracer 60 hydro
2006 exmark viking 36 hydro
3 echo trimmers
2 echo backpack blowers
1 redmax extended hedge trimmer
1 stihl hedge trimmer
Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i ran mine into the charge terminal in the trailer harness and have had no problems or complaints in 2 years, every couple months i'll top off the battery on the charger just for good measure.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkWelding View Post
The battery that came in my trailer is an Interstate. It is wired with appropriate size cabling for the job. I can for sure get 6 8K dumps out of it. But for sure can't get 6 14K dumps out of it. If I were to forego the charging cable from my trucks pair of batteries to the dump trailer, I would definitely look into industrial batteries for the dump trailer.

I cant get 3 empty dumps out of mine. If you dont have yours hooked up to the truck and charge it up through the plug, how many empty dumps right in a row without a break can you get?
I got mine in Cairo too. Last year the guy at bonded in Averil Park overloaded with crusher. It did fine, the truck on the other hand, not so much, I wont do that again
Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know how many empty dumps I would get on a full charge. Probably a minimum of 10 up and down cycles. Full dumps probably 5 in a row would be tops now. Less on overloaded trips. Seems like the power down takes a lot more juice than I would have thought.

I got a stout load of crusher at Bonded that the guy loaded right up the back doors. There was 5.5ton and I could just see the joint between the bed floor and front of the trailer. Talk about no tongue weight. Luckily I only had to go about 2 miles. I try not to go there for material when possible. Especially if you're looking for clean stone. The pit Rifenburgh runs just around the corner on RT150 seems to have nicer material.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

isnt that huffys on 150 or is there another one?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats the one. I think some people still call it Hoffay's pit. I don't really know what it is.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkWelding View Post
"We must have 3 tons in there now . "
I think we are talking about loads double that weight.

I have 2 12000lb and one 10000lb dump
The 12000lb trailers will dump more weight but that is what ive been doing since New Years .
"What you need to do is kill the battery dead Then charge it up full .
Then kill it again dead and give it a long slow charge .
This should either kill the battery all together or burn the crud off the lead plates so the battery will take a full charge ."
Sorry, I don't buy that at all for any lead acid battery. I have run my battery as dead as I feel comfortable and slow charged it with an intelligent electronic charger for weeks. It still will not dump more than 4 or 5 full capacity loads-5 to 6 tons.

To equalize a LA battery you must first kill it Dead . (Batteries dont get Comfortable )
Then give it a hot equalizing charge 14.6 volts i think .( May be your intelligent charger has a equalizer setting )

Slow charging for weeks is no good Just charge it till its topped off then unplug it .
Im sure i can dump with 5 ton the weight doesn't really make a big difference to the trailer? I load my trailer with a track hoe and pull it to the dump site dump with out a power hook up . Way more then 5 or 6 times never counted .

" You shouldn't dump the trailers with a low batteries off the truck charge wire it could blow a fuse or burn the wire up ."
If you have done your wiring properly this is not an issue and the trailer battery will never be low. Unless you're referring to the charge wire in the trailer harness. Than I completely agree.

If your batteries are low and try to dump your trailer you don't hurt the battery you will heat up the pump motor and you could cook the pump motor for lack of voltage .
Running 12 volt from a truck battery to the trailer is like a 25' run +- 12 volt takes a huge voltage drop and you would need battery cables to deliver enough power .

" You should charge the battery's every few months just to keep them in good condition ."
The Load Trail trailers both 4 seasons and I have come with electronic chargers that can be left unattended for long periods to keep the battery at full charge.
Keeping a battery on trickle causes the lead plats to crud up and cuts capacity of your battery . You should run full charge to half charge.
John
Old 02-25-2011, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Its not trickle. Its an automatic electronic battery charger that does what its supposed to do.