Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the best way to enable charging through the truck? I have a pj dump with a 08 super duty.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis E View Post
Whats the best way to enable charging through the truck? I have a pj dump with a 08 super duty.
LOL, unplug it. Or you could install a battery kill switch.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ok? I mean to charge the battery on the dump trailer from the truck while i have the trailer hooked up.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
ok? I mean to charge the battery on the dump trailer from the truck while i have the trailer hooked up.
Im not sure it should have came wired that way, Ive had three dump trailers and they all charged while they were plugged into the truck.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine does not and i havn't found any info on a way to besides running a seperate power wire kinda like you would for a snow plow.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would assume you could run a power wire from the trailer battery to the power lead in your 7 way plug. I would call the manufacturer and ask them or even the dealer you bought it from.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So the Center prong on the 7 way plug?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

It varies with different conditions, but I can get about 6 cycles (power up, power down) out of the battery, between charges. Mine is supposed to be equipped with a "charge" wire that feeds to the trailer through the wiring harness, but I don't think it works. I have a Load Trail dump trailer. My only complaint with the trailer is the wiring. It was extremely shoddy from new. I put a Schumaker trickle charger on the deep cycle battery when I am not using the trailer. I also carry a battery booster box, in case of a dead battery on the tow vehicle or trailer. Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Mine does not and i havn't found any info on a way to besides running a seperate power wire kinda like you would for a snow plow.
Start your truck's engine and leave it running in Park with all head/park/tail/turn signals turned off. Now, using a multi-meter test for voltage at the terminals inside the 7-RV plug at the back bumper. You should have one terminal that will produce 12 volts when testing from the ground terminal to the other terminal. Also note most Fords have the circuit functions molded on the 7-RV plug cover which will help you locate which terminal is the ground helping you test the other 6 terminals.

Now take the tester and place one probe in the terminal on the trailer's cord that corresponds to the terminal on your truck that produced 12 volts. With the multi meter set on the continuity tester setting, use the other meter probe touched to each wire in the trailer cord junction box until you hear a beep. When you hear a beep you have found the wire in the junction box that will provide constant 12 volt power to your trailer WHILE THE TRUCK ENGINE IS RUNNING.

If you connect a piece of 12 or 14 gauge wire from that trailer cord circuit to the battery's positive terminal with a 20 amp inline fuse you will have a charging current that will recharge your dump trailer battery. The inline fuse is necessary to prevent drawing power from the trucks circuit if the battery is discharged and damaging the trucks wiring. If that fuse pops repeatedly then it is usually a good indicator that your battery is no longer holding a charge and should be checked/replaced.

Hope this helps.

In repsonse to the OP's question. My Bri-Mar 6x10 10,000 GVW dump trailer ran 15 8,000 lbs loads of dirt over the course of 2 days and not once did the trailer run low on battery charge. Round trip between dumps was 1 hour (including loading and tarping) and the trailer has a gravity down cylinder not power down. I can get 5 or 6 loads of moist top soil dumped when towing the trailerf with my 33 hp New Holland tractor before I have to recharge the battery. I originally had a standard Marine lead acid battery but switched to an Optima Blue Top Marine dual purpose battery and love the capacity of the blue top and it's ability to recharge on a low amp circuit fed from the truck as described above.

Last edited by PonyExpress94; 03-03-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

PonyExpress:

Thank You very much for your info. for everyone.....it is good information and greatly appreciated!