Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-27-2011, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Lets keep the advertising off the sign in screen. I understand ads = $. But there have to be some limits. Thanks

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 02-27-2011, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, get rid of it!!!

Yes, the site is free to us but the only reason the ads are here is because we are here. So, I think our opinion should matter.

While your at it could someone tell turf mag. to stop calling to update my info. You would think one call would be enough.

The way I feel about it is if I get the mags fine but if you need to call me to keep sending them then you can keep all of them. I'm referring to ALL the lawn and landscape mags.

Last edited by PLS-Tx; 02-27-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Complaining will get you no where with this stuff... The advertizers dictate where the ads go and how often they pop up. They are the ones paying, not us, the users. Basically it's out of our hands unless there can be a "walk out" staged where every member gets together and logs off for x number of days to try and make a stand against all the things everyone is complaining about. If they realize that the ads are truely driving members away, then maybe they will start thinking twice about it. But I highly doubt it...

I'm a member of a few other non-lawn care forums as well, and the ads on those sites are INSANE compared to here. Huge ads that are placed between every 2 or 3 posts, the whole front page is ads, you have to scroll way down just to get to the forums... BUT, they have the option to PAY for a "membership" which then makes a lot of those ads dissapear.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS-Tx View Post
I agree, get rid of it!!!

While your at it could someone tell turf mag. to stop calling to update my info.
Oh don't even get me started on all of these "Free" magazines. 90% of them I never asked for, yet I get at least a dozen different publications a month. All of them have to call, multiple times a year to "update their information". The calls come from FOREGINERS usually, that half the time I can barely understand, usually they barely even know what magazine their calling about. I hang up on them most of the time. If I'm in ther mood I'll tell them to CANCEL my subscription and stop calling me.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Oh don't even get me started on all of these "Free" magazines. 90% of them I never asked for, yet I get at least a dozen different publications a month. All of them have to call, multiple times a year to "update their information". The calls come from FOREGINERS usually, that half the time I can barely understand, usually they barely even know what magazine their calling about. I hang up on them most of the time. If I'm in ther mood I'll tell them to CANCEL my subscription and stop calling me.
The only one I asked for was Turf, I wish I would not have now.

Most of them I never even look at them.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Actually, I receive a couple very useful trade magazines, Turf NOT being one of value.

There is a good reason for the updates (once-a-year). The magazine's ad rates are based on the circulation numbers. With paid subscriptions, there are professional auditing companies that certify subscriptions. The free-subscriptions have to be documented in other ways e.g. surveying those on the mailing list.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtandhoops View Post
Actually, I receive a couple very useful trade magazines, Turf NOT being one of value.

There is a good reason for the updates (once-a-year). The magazine's ad rates are based on the circulation numbers. With paid subscriptions, there are professional auditing companies that certify subscriptions. The free-subscriptions have to be documented in other ways e.g. surveying those on the mailing list.
Great you can have yours and mine too. I don't mind the mags I just don't want the phone calls.

If they must call they can keep them are send them to you.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Since no one has asked. The useful mags I receive are "Lawn and Landscape" and "Landscape Management."

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."